· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cliff's sump build

0 Not allowed!
    My wife and I just put the sump together for our next reef tank. The main tank is a 120 gallon (48” X 24” X 24”) and the sump is a standard 55 gallon . As I do not want to use a one-way on the drain or return lines I had to leave enough room in the sump for the water that will drain back. As the top of the overflow on the main tank is 3 inch below the maximum waterline of the main tank. I was able to determine that would mean there would be just less than 15 gallons of water draining back into the sump should there be a power failure. I used the tank volume calculator in the below thread (48” X 24” X 3” = 14.9 gallons).

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=26757

We then thought about what we wanted to use the sump for. We figured there should be one compartment for a filter sock, live rock, and heaters. Then a second compartment for the skimmer. Followed by a third compartment for the return pump.

Once we knew what we wanted, I drew a diagram and tried different sizes for each compartment. I change this a few times before I got something that I liked, but I am EXTREMELY picky about things like this.

Once I completed that, I use the same tank volume calculator (link above) for each compartment to make sure the total volume of all three compartments doesn’t exceed 40 gallons (15 gallon drain back – 55 gallon total tank size). I adjusted the height a little until I reached the 40 gallon mark on the sump. Below is what I finally came up with

Now that we had a plan, I got the glass panels cut from a local glass shop. We marked the measurements on the sump then we placed all the equipment in the sump. I wanted to double check and make sure the plan would work. Just because it looks good on paper doesn’t always mean that it will work in reality.

When my wife and I put the sump together, we started with the panels that sit flat in the bottom of the sump using aquarium safe silicone to secure them in place. Once that was set, we did one each of the other baffles beside the first set of baffles. When I looked at the pre-manufactured sumps (that can handle a flow of approx 2000 gph) sold at my local salt water fish store, all of their sumps had the baffles spaced one inch apart, so we spaced our baffles the same way. We just used some stuff we had sitting around for the baffles to rest one while the silicone set. We spaced the baffles up approx 4” from the bottom of the sump

Last edited by Cliff; 01-29-2012 at 03:13 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Next we added egg-crate on top of the panels that rest on the bottom of the tank (while the silicone on the other panels was setting). The reason for this is that we might want to add a clean up crew to the first compartment with the live rock. We don’t want any of them to get crawl over the baffles and get sucked into the skimmer (ouch !)

Finally we siliconed in the last panel and the sump was done. After allowing the silicone to cure, we did a quick water test and now the sump is ready for use.

If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    Great read and nice work Cliff!
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

0 Not allowed!
    Nice work. Just don't forget, when you have evaporation, the entire effect will be noticed in the return pump chamber, so you may not want that to be too small.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys.

Goldbarb, excellent catch. I didn't exaplain the part. I based the return pump compartment for this sump on the one I made in the first sump I built (pic below). It can handle a little more than 1.5 gallons of evaporation. If I keep my normal daily top-up routine it never really drops too much (1/2 to 1 gallons per day). I just marked the last compartment with the maximum fill line (allowing for drain back) and the minimum to mach sure the pump will never get close to getting any air.

I also tetsed the salinity at the max and min levels and found very little impact to the salinity ( at least none my refactometer could catch)

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How big of a sump do I need for a 55 gallon reef
    coolest Puffer in town

0 Not allowed!
    That can really depend on the type and size of equipement that you would want to use. Anywere from a 20 to 30 gallon tank I woulg guess.

I would suggest starting your thread to ask this question in the beginner SW section.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm surprised I'm seeing this thread now for the first time. Unless there's something I'm missing, I don't see the reason for setting up the baffles the way you did there. You would have been fine with a single baffle between the live rock and skimmer but you should have three baffles between the skimmer and return pump in order to remove micro bubbles before making its way back into the display tank. For the three baffles, it should be low-high-low (opposite of what you have between the live rock and skimmer) one inch apart and one inch off the bottom for the "high" baffle. I know it's too late to remedy now but I figured I'd throw it out there for others who are wanting to build their own sump.

0 Not allowed!
    I read some skimmers can be effected by micro bubbles so I used those three baffles just in case I up-grade my skimmer in future. I think those wat lower end quality skimmers but I wasn't 100% too sure about that. This way I'm not limited by anything other than the size of compartment and the height inside the stand.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh I see. Have you noticed any bubbles getting into the skimmer compartment with that setup? What about the return chamber? I just haven't really seen the baffles go high-low-high before; I wonder which order would be more effective. I typically see it low-high-low but I don't see why the way you did it wouldn't work.