· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your first article and sticky! - fins_n_fur   For being a nice person. - Brookfish   For my fellow Missourian! - Corndawg   For the holidays : ) - lovleeko   Merry Xmas! - Corndawg   

Default Convict Question.

0 Not allowed!
    I have been debating on what I want to put in my 29gal and thinking of some cons. So before I buy anything I wanted to know what I was dealing with.
    1. Will a couple convicts thrive in a 29gal?
    2. I don't want a breeding pair but can you put a pair of females or pair of males together?
    3. I plan (keyword plan) to upgrade to one large tank rather than 3 smaller ones, If that all pans out are convictss compatable with the stocking in my 55gal (stocking found in my signature)?
    4 Last question. If any of my questions are a no would someone give a suggestion to something that is similar to convicts that would fit the bill?

Thank you in advance,
    Teach
    55gal: 1gold severum(jasper),1 Green Sev (Spot), 3 tiger barbs (left), bovarian ram.
    29gal: 3 goldfish growing out
    Scott

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your first article and sticky! - fins_n_fur   For being a nice person. - Brookfish   For my fellow Missourian! - Corndawg   For the holidays : ) - lovleeko   Merry Xmas! - Corndawg   

0 Not allowed!
    bump...................
    55gal: 1gold severum(jasper),1 Green Sev (Spot), 3 tiger barbs (left), bovarian ram.
    Scott

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish   welcome - Algenco   Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins   Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish   Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins   
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k   

0 Not allowed!
    1. Yes

2. Females probably, males maybe

3. 2 full grown severums are going to be a lot of bioload, what size tank are you thinking of getting.

4. Keyholes, flag cichlids, maybe jewels.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for having so many tanks :) - NanoTankGuy   For being a good teacher and helping to educate me! - chel   They didn't have any platys so I got you a pleco! lol - Northernguy   For you mate. - mac   Thanks for all your help and input regarding setting up my 55 gallon!!! - emilyekk   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by teach
    I have been debating on what I want to put in my 29gal and thinking of some cons. So before I buy anything I wanted to know what I was dealing with.
    1. Will a couple convicts thrive in a 29gal?
    2. I don't want a breeding pair but can you put a pair of females or pair of males together?
    3. I plan (keyword plan) to upgrade to one large tank rather than 3 smaller ones, If that all pans out are convictss compatable with the stocking in my 55gal (stocking found in my signature)?
    4 Last question. If any of my questions are a no would someone give a suggestion to something that is similar to convicts that would fit the bill?

Thank you in advance,
    Teach
    1. They CAN. My pair could not. All was fine until it wasn't - if I didn't get her out he would have killed her.

2. I think your best bet is a couple of females.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by rich311k
    3. 2 full grown severums are going to be a lot of bioload, what size tank are you thinking of getting.
    That will be a question in the future for now I am trying to fill my tanks with the idea of upgrading. I just want something that will be fine in a 29gal if something happens and I dont get a bigger tank. If I went for a pair of convicts and the stocking in my 55gal oh and Id like a bp again how big of tank do you think I would need? (for future reference)

Also is a convict with some smaller cichlids like rams or apistos ok or do they do better in groups?
    Last edited by teach; 04-02-2011 at 12:11 AM.
    Scott

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by humdedum
    Females can be little monsters, too. It's not as common but still possible. My female nearly killed my larger convict male; tough little lady.
    Indeed. Usually, the warrior princess only emerges during spawning. But females are the way to go if the OP wants a few to house in a 29.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

congratulations, plant identifier! - Brhino   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by teach
    Also is a convict with some smaller cichlids like rams or apistos ok or do they do better in groups?

I wouldn't. Apis and rams are pretty docil fish better partnered with discus and/or tetras

the convicts honest can be pretty brutal. I have a parrot/convict hybrid (jelly bean) that takes on a 9" ID shark.... without a second thought. I couldn't imagine him with my little Blue Rams.
    eRoc