· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your first article and sticky! - fins_n_fur   For being a nice person. - Brookfish   For my fellow Missourian! - Corndawg   For the holidays : ) - lovleeko   Merry Xmas! - Corndawg   

Default Back to the million dollar question.

0 Not allowed!
    Well noone gets a million if they answer it but I really hope there are some other ideas on here or atleast someone who know the value of a 7in Sev.

So as I have posted before I have a gold sev that spends almost 100% of its time hiding. I have done everything I can think of. I added artificial plants, dither fish, re arranged the tank, added another sev and tinted the hoods to lower the light level. I just dont know what else to do. Recently it has become even worse I had it where he would come out when it ws feeding time now I dont even see him now.

Im willing to try anything but if something doesnt change soon I am just going to sell him and go with something different in my tank. As much time as I spend taking care of my tank I want to atleast see my fish.
    Last edited by teach; 03-30-2011 at 11:55 AM.
    55gal: 1gold severum(jasper),1 Green Sev (Spot), 3 tiger barbs (left), bovarian ram.
    29gal: 3 goldfish growing out
    Scott

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Holiday Ham comes ones a year... to bring you a pig size share of holiday cheer! - Trillianne   

0 Not allowed!
    Could he be getting harassed by the tigerbarbs? That might be causing him to hide. Even if not being directly harassed by them, he may just not feel comfortable around them. A sev that size would normally be begging at the front glass every time you went near the tank.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your first article and sticky! - fins_n_fur   For being a nice person. - Brookfish   For my fellow Missourian! - Corndawg   For the holidays : ) - lovleeko   Merry Xmas! - Corndawg   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KingFisher
    Could he be getting harassed by the tigerbarbs? That might be causing him to hide. Even if not being directly harassed by them, he may just not feel comfortable around them. A sev that size would normally be begging at the front glass every time you went near the tank.
    Yah I know he used to do that all the time but now he hides. This all started to happen when I had a roomate who liked to tap on the tank after I got that stopped he did better but then his long time tank mate a BP died it has just been terrible so I dont know what to do. When he does come out I can sit and watch him but if I move at all he darts for the nearest hiding place.
    55gal: 1gold severum(jasper),1 Green Sev (Spot), 3 tiger barbs (left), bovarian ram.
    Scott

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Holiday Ham comes ones a year... to bring you a pig size share of holiday cheer! - Trillianne   

0 Not allowed!
    In that case, it is a conditioned behavior brought on by mistreatment(by your roommate) and should improve over time. No telling how long it will take though.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    One of my parrots was the same way. All would be out and about but I'd walk in the room and he'd rush to his hiding spot. I would drop food in the tank and by the time he'd appear, the food was gone. I finally settled that by taking away his hiding spot (flower pot.) Didn't take him long to figure out he was forced to be more social and now he rushes at me when he sees me coming with his chow.

He was also the smallest of my parrots and I felt due to not getting enough food like the others. He is now my biggest and my favorite.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

0 Not allowed!
    Fish sometimes sulk after the loss of a tankmate...I have seen this behavior in Oscars and other large cichlids. You could try adding a new BP to the tank...and taking away his hiding spot. Lowering the light levels can also calm the fish. What are your water parms?
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHRKiller
    Fish sometimes sulk after the loss of a tankmate...I have seen this behavior in Oscars and other large cichlids. You could try adding a new BP to the tank...and taking away his hiding spot. Lowering the light levels can also calm the fish. What are your water parms?
    I may have to take away the hiding spot. And Ill try lowering the light level a little more. I really want to add another bp but I feel like I would be overstocking. As for the parms, Im not sure I tore my tank down completely for the yearly deep cleaning so they would be way off.
    Scott

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

0 Not allowed!
    There is no need to ever tear your tank down completely. Water levels can stress the fish and result in the fish hiding in the back of the tank.
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHRKiller
    There is no need to ever tear your tank down completely. Water levels can stress the fish and result in the fish hiding in the back of the tank.
    Yeah I didnt want to tear it all the way down but it needed to be done, it didnt cause any of the fish to hide except the one that already has been. I didnt do anything to the filter so it wouldnt affect the bacteria inside.
    Scott

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

To start your collection :D - Xavier   Just because - FishyPastor   My favorite - FishyPastor   I like discus - FishyPastor   No Message - FishyPastor   

0 Not allowed!
    I had a issue similar with my angels when I put them in my 29 gallon tank. I called the breeder where I bought them he advised adding aquarium salt to calm them down. It worked seems aquarium salt has a calming affect.
    65 gallon: Black Sailfin Pleco, Rubbermouth pleco, bristle nose pleco, 4 cory's and 4 goldfish.
    55 gallon fish tank: Two pairs of koi angels
    20 gallon:1 Pair Koi Angels.
    29 Gallon: 1 pr Convicts, 5 Skunk Botias
    10 gallon: Fry Tank
    http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...view=slideshow