· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishy Syndrome

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your first article and sticky! - fins_n_fur   For being a nice person. - Brookfish   For my fellow Missourian! - Corndawg   For the holidays : ) - lovleeko   Merry Xmas! - Corndawg   

Default Fishy Syndrome

0 Not allowed!
    I'm just curious if anyone else has this problem. I will hopefully be moving to some place bigger this summer and keep thinking I will just get one big tank and sell off my 2-29gal and my 55gal. So Im thinking of useing my two smaller tanks as grow out tanks. So I think well I can get one of those and one of these and the next thing I know Im going from upgrading to a 110ish tank to a 300ish and then I think maybe I should just do a big DIY build. I think Im going crazy and my wife calls me a fish nerd. LOL so who else has this problem.
    55gal: 1gold severum(jasper),1 Green Sev (Spot), 3 tiger barbs (left), bovarian ram.
    29gal: 3 goldfish growing out
    Scott

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

【ツ】 - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    same for sure the gf bags me all the time
    6ft Australian Fresh water turtle tank - 2 macleay river turtles, numerous guppy at varying stages of development.

5ft 150gal planted discus tank - 8 discus, 10 cardinal tetras, 10 rummnose, 6 albino cories, and breeding RCS in tank sump and just about everywhere everything done from scratch, filtration and stand tank
    journal @
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...d.php?t=101658

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

0 Not allowed!
    Don't get fish that are going to need huge tanks before you have the huge tanks!

It's good to have a plan, but you never know... the house deal could fall through, or you could get it and run into a lot of unexpected expenses, and then you don't have space or money for that huge tank you were getting and your fish are suffering in their grow-out tanks they've outgrown.
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    Don't bite off more than you can chew ....
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish   thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish   You help a lot - PhillipOrigami   For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff   beautiful discus! - Crispy   

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    If you buy a 110, or 150, or 300 etc you had better include plumbing - hot and cold water (and if needed, a built in RO system) with drain or your life will be a nightmare. I have a complete "sink system" for all three of my 75 gal aquariums - changing water is trivial. I'd never own a large tank without a water system at the site. Yes, I built all the plumbing and have decent access under the floors but consider what draining a 300 would be like? Or refilling or just doing small (and near useless) 20% WC? Even garden hoses would be a royal pain. Think carefully - a big tank requires big amounts of water even if you do worthless WC.

Sorry for the downer post but think this over carefully - even with sinks/proper water on the tank, I find it a pain to do the WC (50%) for the two discus tanks every other day (the community tank gets 30% every week). I'd never handle a 100+.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Cermet; 03-29-2011 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Edit typo
    Knowledge is fun(damental)

A 75 gal with eight Discus, fake plants, and a lot of wood also with sand substrate. Clean up crew is down to just two Sterba's Corys. Filters: continuous new water flow; canister w/UV, in-tank algae scrubber!! Finally, junked the nitrate removal unit from hell.

For Fishless cycling:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum   Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle   My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs   because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl   A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy   

0 Not allowed!
    It is always best to get fish for the tanks you have,not the tanks you want to get.Many have learned this and have lost some wonderful fish because of it.
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    Always consider the well-being of the fish, and ask yourself if you are willing and able to take care of them properly, and that means properly maintaining a very large tank, if you have one. Do you wish to do that much work? Not just in the short term, but for the long haul. Will you eventually get tired of doing all that work and start slacking off it? If so, your fish will suffer.

Secondly, can you afford, financially, to invest in the needed equipment and supplies for tanks that large? You're talking more than one expensive cannister filter, or even a sump system. You're talking about the kind of plumbing described above. You're talking about large quantities of water conditioner, buying fish food in bulk and having a decent means of storing it between use. If the large tank is planted, then you'll be getting into CO2 and lots of ferts. The substrate alone for a tank that large could be very expensive to purchase in a sufficient amount. How much are you willing to shell out for the plants? How much would it cost to properly light a system like that? You could be getting into some big bucks, and doesn't include the fish.

Are you willing to research and learn all you can about the needs of the fish you'll be getting for these large tanks?

There's a lot to it, and unless you can honestly assess the situation and determine that you have the means, energy, know-how and willingness to properly equip and maintain it, you should stick with something smaller and enjoy that.

Don't get greedy. It could cease to be rewarding and become a burden to you and harmful to the innocent fish.

-- mermaid
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for having so many tanks :) - NanoTankGuy   For being a good teacher and helping to educate me! - chel   They didn't have any platys so I got you a pleco! lol - Northernguy   For you mate. - mac   Thanks for all your help and input regarding setting up my 55 gallon!!! - emilyekk   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cermet
    If you buy a 110, or 150, or 300 etc you had better include plumbing - hot and cold water (and if needed, a built in RO system) with drain or your life will be a nightmare. I have a complete "sink system" for all three of my 75 gal aquariums - changing water is trivial. I'd never own a large tank without a water system at the site. Yes, I built all the plumbing and have decent access under the floors but consider what draining a 300 would be like? Or refilling or just doing small (and near useless) 20% WC? Even garden hoses would be a royal pain. Think carefully - a big tank requires big amounts of water even if you do worthless WC.

Sorry for the downer post but think this over carefully - even with sinks/proper water on the tank, I find it a pain to do the WC (50%) for the two discus tanks every other day (the community tank gets 30% every week). I'd never handle a 100+.

Good luck.
    I use pumps to drain the tanks and a python to refill them - Cut my water change time in half.

I am making room for a 6 foot tank - I will use multiple pumps to drain it. But yeah, 300 gallons would be better serviced by built in plumbing.
    125 - BGK, pictus cats, silver dollars, kissing gouramis, palmas bichir, delhezi bichir
    125 - Red severum, bolivian rams, Turquoise rainbows, irian red rainbows, loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis
    90 - Congo tetras, african knife, elephant nose, spotted ctenopoma, upside down cats

QTs - 29, 20H, 20L, 10

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your first article and sticky! - fins_n_fur   For being a nice person. - Brookfish   For my fellow Missourian! - Corndawg   For the holidays : ) - lovleeko   Merry Xmas! - Corndawg   

0 Not allowed!
    I think I must have worded what I was thinking wrong. I'm not planning on getting anything that couldn't live out its life in the tanks I have Im just asking if anyone else has these thoughts go through their heads. I am well aware of the reqirements of my fish and I always research everything for months on months before I make a fish decisions. I learned my lesson before. Even after I research I still come here and ask.
    55gal: 1gold severum(jasper),1 Green Sev (Spot), 3 tiger barbs (left), bovarian ram.
    29gal: 3 goldfish growing out
    Scott

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I dream of a tank large enough to snorkel in. Nice fantasy!