· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KingFisher
    Excellent info Cliff! I was always curious about how people did that.
    Same here, great job Cliff!
    Empty 125g sitting in my shed
    55g Freshwater Tropical Community
    29g Convict Fry Growout Tank
    10g Freshwater Planted Tropical Community
    5g Freshwater Planted Dirt
    2.5g Ghost shrimp tank

Awards Showcase

Thanks and your first gift!! - The Red Severum Eggs woo hoo!!! - Gayle My new buddy.  LOL - Lady Hobbs because you're always there to help! - gourami*girl A beer for my fellow canuck! - NickFish 
    For being a pic hound!!! - Alfcea thankyou for all your help - sueshewoman A round of gifts for my friends at ac! - Wild Turkey to a very good buddy,happy thanksgiving - angelcakes Congrats on MOTM - Lady Hobbs 
    For being on the ball and having the forum at heart. - Brookfish Thanks for the gift! Now heres one for you ! - CephalopodLover congrats on MOTM - angelcakes same to you - mrs fishpatrick thanks for the help - LORENZO 
    merry christmas - cocoa_pleco sorry for your loss - lovleeko Seasons Greetings! - Brookfish Joyeux Noel!  :) - KrytterKrys Happy Christmas 2008 - fins_n_fur 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Northernguy 

0 Not allowed!
    That is a great write up Cliff!
    Ray Your Freindly Neighborhood,Fully Mod-ified, Self-appointed Pic Hound!! Need pics!!!
    Have you filled out your profile yet ?????????????
    The Fabulous AC ebook Please read>http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/ebook.html

Thumbs up Excellent thread!

0 Not allowed!
    You are a man of many skills Cliff, Thank's for documenting them for the rest of us.

Do you make house calls?
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Great write up Cliff! I was researching this very thing not 4 days ago!
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Cool

0 Not allowed!
    Very nice article and great photo's. One thing that should be added to the water is a single drop of dishwashing detergent – this improves both the cutting and removal of debris and is recommended by diamond drill companies. They also say that you should start the drilling with water.

0 Not allowed!
    Good points Cermet

Sounds like you've worked with similar material before

I had orginally thought about adding the water first. I did it that way on my practice pc of glass but I found it easier to start a grove for the bit before adding the water. When I tested that approach on the practice glass, the bit nor the glass got very hot at all. The trick is not to drill to much before adding the water, just enough of a grove for the bit to catch and nothing more (about 1/16th of a inch or less). I guess you just need to go with the method you are most comfortable with.

I also read a lot about using / adding different types of lubricants to the water to extend the life of the bit. When I looked into them, I could not determine if they were aquarium safe or not so I played it safe and did not use any of them. I was way too neverous about having any dishwashing soap residue in the tank so I skipped it.

If you could have running water over the cutting area, that would likely be best. I just thought with my luck the drill would get a slash of water either shorting out the drill or giving me a shock
    Last edited by Cliff; 03-29-2011 at 05:18 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Best tutorial I've seen so far, including videos i've seen on youtube. One question though as I am currently getting things together to build an overflow on my 55gal. How much for the the hole saw? :) I'm looking for a good deal on one as my local hardware store wants a few hundred dollars for one. Unfortunate because i used to have an amazing connection on all things glass and acrylic.

0 Not allowed!
    Prices will range based on were you are and the size of the hole. Were I live, a 1' to 1.5" can range from $100 to $150 and 1/2' to 1" can range from $60 to $100

You can find better deals on E-bay, just make sure its a diamond bit
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Great Article mate..... I'd like to try that myself, if i can ever find a drill bit like that! Althought, at that cost, wouldn't it be cheaper to get someone to do it?
    Fiiiiiiiiiiissssshhhhhh!

0 Not allowed!
    I guess it would depend on the going rates in your area. For me, the cost of buying the bit was only ~$10 cheaper than getting it done. But now, the next time I want to drill a tank, I don't have to pay for anything.