· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your first! - Algenco   You need some fish...hehe - Mith   Happy Holidays - Northernguy   for the awesome posts - mommy1   Thanks - KingFisher   

Default Guppy breeding question, just add water right?

0 Not allowed!
    i know guppys are very easy to breed, my question revolves around coloration.
    i have a male and female that i believe to be cobra skin
    (pictures are bad but it gives you the idea of coloration. hard to capture the males colors goes the whole way from yellow to purple depending on the angle)

my questions is when these two breed is it likely the offspring will come out cobra skin, or are most fish store guppy genes so mixed up that it will be pot-luck?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    nice looking male there. Pet store guppies are a crap shoot, and it's hard to tell who the father is since the females are pretty much always pregnant unless they've been in separate tanks for several months. I've had an endler give birth to 3 batches of fry while she was segregated in her own tank.

I'm currently breeding 5 types of guppy strains and 3 endler strains.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nice post - Lady Hobbs   a gift your you! - squirt_12   beautiful blue discus - Algenco   felt like it - Lady Hobbs   for all the help! - squirt_12   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    Jeta, Endlers are a Guppy strain. ;)
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    As far as I know, they are still classified with different species names, reticulata vs. wingei. I have some tiger endlers that are obviously hybridized and I guess fall into a grey area, but to the best of my knowledge the wild type endlers are still in their own species group.

Not that I really care about the genetics about it, I mainly differentiate because it's easier to explain/advertise.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the nice post - Lady Hobbs   a gift your you! - squirt_12   beautiful blue discus - Algenco   felt like it - Lady Hobbs   for all the help! - squirt_12   
    Alzheimer's - Crohn's & Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - ILuvMyGoldBarb   Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - ILuvMyGoldBarb   

0 Not allowed!
    The scientific name that was given to Endlers was not a valid name. It was based on bad science that has been rejected by pretty much all of the scientific community. Unfortunately, there are so many out there that are desperate to have the Endler classified as a different species, they jumped on it, and have propagated the error. They are definitely a different strain, but in all the ways that are important with livebearers, they are just a guppy.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I understand the argument, and it makes sense. Still, for labeling purposes, I am calling mine endlers, because it's what people identify, even if it makes a few scientific minds cringe lol. My beef is with the classification system, don't even get me started.

p.s. thanks for the info in the PM, much appreciated.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill   Happy New year - Celtic Fins   May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins   2001 posts! - Northernguy   For your helpful fry advice - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    If you want to line-breed the male your best bet would be to raise some fry individually to get virgin females for breeding. Any breeding-size female from an lfs is already carrying enough sperm to produce several broods of fry, and it's unlikely they'll turn out to look like the one/s you want. Male guppies can breed before they actually show any color, so the females need to be raised separately.

^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks...^^

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your first! - Algenco   You need some fish...hehe - Mith   Happy Holidays - Northernguy   for the awesome posts - mommy1   Thanks - KingFisher   

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for the info everyone! looks like i may just wait and let them breed and if i get what i want great, and if i dont thats ok too.

didnt know the males can breed before they colored up, i guess in my mind all of the colors were a sign of sexual maturity. very cool info