· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Surfdogs 75Gallon from start

0 Not allowed!
    So I am ready to start. Day 1

tank d1e.jpg

I decided on a pair of power filters instead of a Cannister. I also feel having 2 seperate flows will aid water movement. I am installing a 300W heater as well as a 150W, one on each end of the tank near the outflow of the filters. I will be installing 2 seperate Air curtains. The Tank will be unplanted so I am heading out to the local nursery tomorrow for substrate and decorative stones to build nooks and crannies. I toyed with the idea of installing 2 x 5 gallon UGF in each corner of the tank to support a pair of powerheads, but I believe the output of the dual filters should have adequit force to move water. Any input would be apreciated...
    Life is tough, it's even tougher if your stupid.
    If your not angry, your not paying attention...
    150G Cube FWLR (Morays) 75G Fresh (Bichers/Gourami) 24G Cube (Reef/Goby/Seahorse's/Garden Eels)
    10G Fresh (Beta)
    2 x 29G Breeders (cycling) to be ready for January 15

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was wondering about using two heaters? What is your reason?
    65 gallon: Black Sailfin Pleco, Rubbermouth pleco, bristle nose pleco, 4 cory's and 4 goldfish.
    55 gallon fish tank: Two pairs of koi angels
    20 gallon:1 Pair Koi Angels.
    29 Gallon: 1 pr Convicts, 5 Skunk Botias
    10 gallon: Fry Tank
    http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...view=slideshow

Arrow

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FishyPastor
    I was wondering about using two heaters? What is your reason?
    Redundancy is good wrt to heaters, If one fails you are not left entirely without until you can replace the faulty one.

Also, Having two keeps one from having to work overtime to maintain temps in a larger tank.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    what are you planning on stocking with?

0 Not allowed!
    Heck if I know what I am going to stock! I am leaning towards Cichlids, but I may still go salt

And 850 hit it on the head, 2 of everything, anything craps out, one can deal with it even on a long weekend holiday!
    Last edited by Surfdog; 03-27-2011 at 04:09 AM.
    150G Cube FWLR (Morays) 75G Fresh (Bichers/Gourami) 24G Cube (Reef/Goby/Seahorse's/Garden Eels)
    10G Fresh (Beta)

Smile Surf's 75 day 2

0 Not allowed!
    I have built the cabinet.

cab1.jpg Photo0050.jpg

So, It's The TopFin 80G stand, Model 50956 by Ameriwood. At $169.00 from Petsmart, well worth the money. Assembly with no help, 90 minutes (with 3 teen boy's in house, go figure having to solo). A lot better than IKEA and easier than their stuff to put together. Interesting thing is after assembly, you may see "gaps" they are there intentionally as everything will seat when you place the tank. I tested this theory by having aforementioned teens stand on it, LOL.

Haven't decided what route to go, salt or fresh, I need to do some more reading first, as well as a quick trip to Big Al's (local fishmonger). I am still partial to cichlids , always have been.
    10G Fresh (Beta)

0 Not allowed!
    If your thinking about a salt water tank, I would suggest doing a lot of reading first. There are some really good SW tank journels here as well to help you decide.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Don't I know it Cliff! I had a 300 Gallon salt, we had an ice storm that knocked out our power for 2 weeks in the middle of winter back in the 90's, lost it all and gave up in anger at loosing all my coral/fish and not just the cost. I have been on this wondeful site each night for hours reading and trying to refresh my memory (lol, not so easy anymore). To be honest, if not for this site, I woulden't even think about doing it all again...
    10G Fresh (Beta)

Talking surfdog's 75 day 3

0 Not allowed!
    So today a tinted the back of the Tank with automotive 5% Limo Black window tint. Easy as Pie!!!

It looks great and now I am not concearned with scuffs when using paint.

Tfilm.jpg

You will require a squeegee, spray bottle, baby shampoo and a razor knife (yaa, sounds kinky). Total cost $20.00 as I had most mat's on hand.

So, after a trip to Big Al's (Local fishmonger) it has been decided. I am going salt. I plan on having the tank house a Lion Fish and a Leaf fish.

I start filling the tank tomorrow...
    10G Fresh (Beta)

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Lookin good! I like the stand, I wish they would use thicker wood supports on those stands though, just for ease of mind, and added strength!
    40 GALLON / 6 Black Neon Tetras, 6 featherfin rainbows, 3 Khulis, 5 Macculloch Rainbows, 3 Bosemani Rainbows