· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Booger's 75 gallon

0 Not allowed!
    Decided it would be a good idea to do one of these. I'm sure the tank will change a lot over time so it'll be cool to see how it all started. Anyway...

This is my first aquarium. I'm doing a fishless cycle with pure ammonia. Started on October 9th and nitrites are showing a week later. Will keep checking the water parameters every day and add ammonia when necessary.

Bought everything I needed at once, first hand. I wanted my first go at this to be smooth so I bought everything new. For my next project I will probably get a used tank and stand to save money. Most stuff I got online. The tank itself I got from Petsmart (Topfin brand). The aquarium stand comes from Petco online. It was incredibly easy to setup and looks great.

Gravel is Estes brand that I bought from a LFS. Got 75 pounds. I had been warned about buying fish from this particular store, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to buy other supplies from them. I also purchased some large stones there.

For filtration I went with the Fluval 405. I plan on adding another filter (possibly another 405) in the future once my fish get bigger. For now the one is enough.

Heater is a submersible 300W. It's doing a pretty good job at keeping the temp around 82 without running constantly.

Not doing live plants (at least for now). I want to focus on the fish first. Besides, I already blew well over a grand on the stuff that I already have.. and I haven't bought fish yet. Better lighting will come at a cost, so I'll just wait on that.

How 'bout some pics?

Lights on, tank light off (sorry about glare)

Lights off, tank light on

Work area that I created by cleaning out the closet

Buckets

I decided I want to move the dragon to the right corner of the aquarium. I will also move the heater closer to the filter's outtake for better efficiency. Ordered some plants from BigAls that'll be used for the background/shelter for fish. Also I bought a very large piece of driftwood yesterday that I plan on using as the centerpiece (in place of the dragon). I may also remove the red gazebo and Buddha. Not sure if I like the look of them...

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Driftwood (will let it soak for a couple of weeks before I put it into the aquarium)

0 Not allowed!
    That is by far the most organized fish closet I've ever seen. That driftwood is gonna look awesome in the tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

0 Not allowed!
    Look like you are doing it the right way; taking your time. Good luck with that tank.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

Awards Showcase

Great addition to AC - Lady Hobbs Perhaps a beer instead? - Lady Hobbs NICE TANK! - Lady Hobbs U know your awesome!!!!!! - jbeining75 Very nice rift tank! Very funny jokes! - NickFish 
    Refund lmao!!!!! - jbeining75 thanks for the support - jbeining75 Good luck with the JI!!!!!! - jbeining75 Right back at ya! - Hailey For help with my leopard geckos - jbeining75 
    to me - sailor Your second sets of stripes lol.... - jbeining75 to blow your nose lol..... - jbeining75 I won the lottery,thanks for the help couldn't have done it without you - kitten3326 Because I would buy you a beer if I could. - RainMan 
    For beating back the flu!!!!!!!!! - jbeining75 thanks for cheering me up xoxo - shalafi04 A Cricket and Strawberry slurpee just for you :) - shalafi04 gotta buy a beer for a sailor. LOL - ILuvMyGoldBarb knowledge + friendly = sailor! yar! - turkey151 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - sailor Autism - sailor 

0 Not allowed!
    Looking really good
    Great looking set up so far.
    I will love to watch this progress.
    What type of fish do you plan to stock it with?
    Sailor

Aye Aye

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I love your work closet! So organized. The tank looks so clean and new! Can't wait to see the drift wood in there!
    40 GALLON / 6 Black Neon Tetras, 6 featherfin rainbows, 3 Khulis, 5 Macculloch Rainbows, 3 Bosemani Rainbows

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks all for the comments! As far as stocking, my plan is a community with the following fish:

4 green emerald cory
    2 angelfish
    1 guppy
    5 gold barb
    2 dwarf gourami
    5 threadfin rainbowfish
    3 dalmation molly

Of course I'm open to suggestions...

0 Not allowed!
    I'd bump up the number of cories to about 8, with cories the more the merrier. Also add a couple more rainbowfish and barbs. Why the lone guppy?
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab_Rat
    I'd bump up the number of cories to about 8, with cories the more the merrier. Also add a couple more rainbowfish and barbs. Why the lone guppy?
    I put together the list on AqAdvisor, adding and removing fish as I went along... guess the guppy got the short end of the stick there. But now that I think about it, I could easily add more fish since I'll be getting a 2nd filter. Good stuff.. thanks for the suggestion!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thats a nice piece of driftwood, has lots of character.