· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Caddisfly Larvae

0 Not allowed!
    Hey, everyone,

So, I'm looking to build a biotope for caddisfly larvae (Family Trichoptera). I know that they need stream-like conditions and really clean water. I'm hoping to set up some sort of scaled-down stream biotope in an aquarium, hopefully a long 20-gallon if I can find one used.

Has anyone kept these guys before? I'm looking to keep Pychnopsyche gentilis. I want to do a North American stream biotope, but I really don't know where to start with that. Obviously, this will be for next year's hatching of larvae--next February or so. It gives me time to collect my supplies...and save up for that Aquaclear filter I'll need.

Thanks!

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    I haven't kept any...but I know some of the lab set-ups are relatively elaborate. Depending on the species you do need to keep a constant flow and don't forget they need enough 'prey' (if that's what you're interested in) to eat...

Be fun to experiment and see if you can keep it going...
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, Rue.

Yeah, I've been collecting/studying them in my Freshwater Ecology lecture/lab and the professor mentioned that he had former colleagues keep them in a simulated stream. I'm dying to get my hands on some pictures of that set-up.

These will be eating leaves exclusively, so no worries about food...although, it will be one kept at a time, as they try to eat each other if they're confined...

Water flow and water quality will be the issue, you've hit it right on the head for sure. They are a water quality indicator species, so they die off very quickly if water is even slightly polluted.

I guess experimenting will be the way to go. I just hope I won't have a whole bunch flying around my apartment after they pupate!

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by lotus flower
    I just hope I won't have a whole bunch flying around my apartment after they pupate!
    I was going to ask what your plan for the adults is.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

0 Not allowed!
    You can build a "river" tank manifold from pvc tubing with powerhead/s at one end and filter sponges over the open pipes at the opposite end. Not too expensive, particularly for a 20 gallon tank. Water quality shouldn't be too difficult to maintain with filter carbon, just replace it weekly. Nothing but insect larvae and some vegetation would be a very low bioload anyway.
    http://www.loaches.com/articles/rive...anifold-design

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    Lotus, your photo isn't coming through. I right clicked on the red x in the corner box and clicked on "show picture", but it doesn't come up. Just goes right back to being a red x in the corner box.

I assume this is a photo of the larvae? I'd love to see it, if I can.

-- mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mermaidwannabe
    Lotus, your photo isn't coming through....

I assume this is a photo of the larvae? I'd love to see it, if I can.

-- mermaidwannabe
    Actually, mermaid, I believe toddnbecka posted the link. I don't have any photos yet. Still in the set-up phase, unfortunately.

To update: I had gotten a used desktop fountain and was going to rig up the pump to create a sort of mini-waterfall, but the directions say it's a federal law of some sort that any fountain has to have a ground-fault interrupter...and I couldn't find any in town that you didn't need to install in the wall electrical wiring. I was hoping I could find a version like a surge-protector or like an extension cord. Maybe online...

However, I do have a small air pump that's not in use, so that's going to be put toward the new rig. And I found a nice, clear plastic bin that's clear on all sides...I couldn't find any used aquariums that were within my budget. I figure with the amount of water I need, I should be able to get in a good 3-4 gallons, which should be plenty, as according to the websites I've been on, these guys can survive in small aquariums for a few days.

Oh, I guess I didn't mention...I'm not permanently housing these little critters. I'm using them to make jewelry out of their casings. I know, crazy as heck, but people do it a lot! Or, do it sometimes...heck, I'm the weird biology gal.

So, they'll go in for about 2-3 days...I'm working on the filtering now. If I can afford a powerhead, then I'll do the set-up you've described, toddnbecka. Thanks for the link!

Then, after a couple days, it's back to the stream from whence they came and a new one or two will be brought home. And so forth.

This way we avoid the inevitable "Duck! We're being dive-bombed by caddis fly adults!" dilemma. I'm looking at you, Brhino.

Although, my betta would like to try an adult as a snack...

0 Not allowed!
    Lotus, I can see in your "Hey everyone" post a blank box in the lower left hand corner with a small corner box and red x in it. There's supposed to be something there, usually a photo, and I can't get it to come up when I right click on the x -- which usually works by then clicking on "show picture" in the menu.

What was that supposed to be? I'm eager to see it...

-- mermaid
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I actually had a 55 gal tank when I was younger that I kept only fish and stuff I would catch in the local stream. I had about 5 or 6 caddis fly larvae in there, a few got eaten by the crawdads, but 2 did end up making it to adult-hood. Can't remember how long it took, but my mom sure freaked out when I told her the "flies" came from the fish tank,

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Mermaid: Ohhh, I know what you're talking about now! That's in my sig, and they're just silly little Fishy Eggs digital fish...you click on them and they grow up from eggs to adults. I joined Fishy Eggs from the link in William's sig. It's a fun way to become obsessed over yet another internet fad. And I love it. But I will post pics in a few days or weeks, once my tank is running.

tkdracer: "Flies" is really misleading, given how big and moth-like they are! And I envy your childhood 55-gallon!