· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default API test kit expiration dates

0 Not allowed!
    Since I joined this forum I have seen alot people ask how long API test kits are good for so I thought I would post this.

Comprehensive and speedy reply from Gary Jones corporate and scientific affairs manager for Mars Fishcare

''Your question is one that we always welcome. All test kits have a shelf life in which the chemicals degrade. No competitor can say that a test kit will read correctly forever.

Mars Fishcare is the industry leader in testing without exception. Many of our solutions are used for both freshwater and saltwater testing while some are designed exclusively for freshwater. Many of our reagent bottles are used in various kits under API and PondCare brands. In some situations you will notice that two color charts are provided one for freshwater and one for saltwater while other kits have one color chart for both. The need for two color charts is based on chemistry. However you can read the lot number on any kit and determine the manufacturing date. The last four digits represent the month and year of production. So 26a1007 would be produced in October 2007.

Our determined expiration dates are established under extreme conditions. The test kits expiration dates are first established under constant conditions of 40 degree Celsius with 75% humidity for an extended period of time. Our retention samples, which we have for five years of every batch of every product that we make, are also kept in a room with elevated temperatures. This ensures that if the test kits or water conditioners are kept under less extreme conditions that they may exceed our established expiration dating but we suggest following the recommended expiration dating listed below. Some retailers feel using worst case conditions are too conservative, we do not. Some retailers and distributors of our products continue to insist that expiration dates not be placed on the product for this reason. We continue to evaluate this and requests like yours helps us to guide our decisions in the future, for this I thank you.

Test Solutions Expiration Date

PondCare Wide Range pH Test Solution - 3 Years
    Ammonia Test Solution # 1 - 3 Years
    Ammonia Test Solution # 2 - 3 Years
    High Range pH Indicator Solution - 3 Years
    Nitrate Test Solution # 1 - 3 Years
    Nitrate Test Solution # 2 - 3 years
    GH Test Solution - 3 Years
    Calcium Test Solution #1 - 3 Years
    Calcium Test Solution #2 - 3 Years
    Phosphate Test Solution #1 - 3 Years
    Phosphate Test Solution #2 - 3 Years
    Copper Test Solution - 3 Years
    KH Test Solution - 4 Years
    Nitrite Test Solution - 4 Years
    Fresh Water pH Indicator Solution - 5 Years

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=276068
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
    Albert Einstein

My 55g community tank
    API test kit expiration dates
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/TheWil...49508741772536

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! That's handy. Maybe should be a sticky?

...and I should now go toss all my kits...they're at least 4 years old...
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

Exclamation

0 Not allowed!
    This should absolutely be a sticky, Great post kk!
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

0 Not allowed!
    Makes you wonder how many of these kits are sitting on distributors shelves and stock room shelves for a long time before we ever buy them. Also is questionable if when kept sealed and unopened, if they shouldn't last longer. I've never had a test kit that was useful altho many have been "out of date".

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Very useful INFO!....I always wondered about the expir dates on these tests...def just made me check my bottles THANKS A LOT!

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks a million!

Information like this makes this forum a valuable tool for us fishkeepers.

I'm saving this in my "favorites" menu, and am also printing out the info to keep in my private aquarium folder.

-- mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 8 white cloud minnows, 10 RCS, 2 blue shrimp, several snails; AC50, Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 7 rosy barbs, 6 glofish,, 2 zebra danios, 6 rosy red (fathead) minnows, 3 dojo loaches, several snails; AC110 x 2.