· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Smile 10 gallon filtration

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone...first post, how exciting lol. I have a 10 gallon aquarium currently with 3 guppies, a neon, one pleco and one African dwarf frog. I have two hanging filters filtering my tank currently and was wondering if over filtering could create a problem or if it is a good thing. Also, a suggestion on how much to feed this amount of fish daily would be appreciated as I feel I may be over feeding my fish.
    10 gallon freshwater set up
    Still learning...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - korith   Just a 'Thank you' penguin to a water treatment guy :-D. Clean water and sanitiation is a CORNERSTONE of modern civilization that people take for granted and don't think twice about & I felt that way about it before I had fish lol. Thanks to my HS Hi - 850R   because I LOL'ed at your single neon 90 gal show fish - ddavis1979   For the help on CO2 and plants - Greentoads41   Great looking tank you have! - ~firefly~   

0 Not allowed!
    Hello SeaSpray, Welcome to the AC!

First, I need to tell you that a pleco (of any species) does not belong in a 10g tank. Not only do many of them get very large but even the smaller ones are massive waste producers. I would suggest finding somebody, with a much larger tank or even a pond, who would be able to take the pleco off of your hands.

As far as filtration, while many people will advocate having as much filtration as possible, it may not always be a good thing. It's possible to have too much flow, especially in a small tank like that, to the point where it stresses out the fish because they need to struggle just to remain in a certain spot. Which filters exactly do you have?

You're typically supposed to feed your fish just enough for them to consume within a few minutes time. Many people do overfeed their fish as they don't realize that their stomachs are extremely tiny. If you overfeed, not only are you adding in extra waste that needs to be removed through gravel vacuums and water changes but the fish can become unhealthy from the extra food intake. It's also suggested not to feed the fish every day. Maybe not feed them one day a week. I tend to feed my fish about 5 days a week.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    A good rule of thumb I try to follow with my fish for feeding is to drop a tiny amount of food in the water and watch it all get eaten before adding more - a little at a time instead of dumping in a lot at a time. This will also help you make sure all the fish are eating and look healthy. At the end of a 3 min period if there's still food floating on top I scoop it out with my net - otherwise it'll sink to the bottom and rot.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I noticed that it may be alot of flow as well..just going to run two filters at a time for a few hours a day and keep just one on all other hours.
    Still learning...

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Be Prepared for that frog to eventually eat everything in your tank. They become hungry beasts.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Also, in addition to eventually finding a new home for the pleco as recommended, the neons need a school - I have 6. Once the pleco is gone, it's easy to add more neons because they are very small & would fit nicely in the 10gal.

Oops - just realized you have a frog - don't know if extra neons would become lunch

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    thanks guys...i like the schooling of the neon idea think im gonna go for that. and is my frog really gonna go crazy and eat everything? lol
    Still learning...