· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Pictus catfish for my first aquarium

0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys, my name is Albert and I'm a new member here.
    I'm a 19 y/o from the island Curacao and naturally, I love the ocean.

I saw a TV program on TLC called tanked which made me want to get my own small aquarium or tank.

I like sharks but I'm still new so I've started looking for freshwater fish.

I came across a fish called the Pictus Catfish so with this I want to ask.

What is the perfect tank for this fish ?
    What do I need to set it up right ?
    What other type fish (preferably small) can I put with this catfish ?

Thanks in advance and regards,
    Albert Jr.

Ps: I have some left over glass sheets laying in the garage and my uncle can make aquariums.
    Can I use them and what specs are needed for the aquarium that I need ?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum! And I think it is great for you to have a fish you want in mind and be willing to build a tank around it. More often it is the other way around, with fish being pushed into tanks not suitable for them.
    Now, about the pictus cat. I've never had one myself, but they are pretty cool looking and I've heard a bit about them. Firstly, that they require a pretty sizable tank. Probably around 70 gallons or so. Since it is a bottom dweller, they would need lots of floor space as well.
    Secondly, they can be pretty active sometimes, so suitable tankmates would be some larger tetras or characins such as the giant danio perhaps, and rainbowfish may also be an option as well to keep with them. That's pretty much al I know, check out these links for more information.
    http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/pimelodus-pictus/
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/pictuscatfish.php
    Good luck!
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentoads41 View Post
    Welcome to the forum! And I think it is great for you to have a fish you want in mind and be willing to build a tank around it. More often it is the other way around, with fish being pushed into tanks not suitable for them.
    Now, about the pictus cat. I've never had one myself, but they are pretty cool looking and I've heard a bit about them. Firstly, that they require a pretty sizable tank. Probably around 70 gallons or so. Since it is a bottom dweller, they would need lots of floor space as well.
    Secondly, they can be pretty active sometimes, so suitable tankmates would be some larger tetras or characins such as the giant danio perhaps, and rainbowfish may also be an option as well to keep with them. That's pretty much al I know, check out these links for more information.
    http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/pimelodus-pictus/
    http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/pictuscatfish.php
    Good luck!
    Alright thanks.
    I made some measurements in my sleeping room which I hope won't be too cold.
    Pet smart (overview of fish) said that a 20 gallon would be fine which is why I was thinking about a 30 gallon tank.
    One thing I do worry about is the weight. (Measurements taken we're meant for a 40 gallon tank)
    Last edited by Albert Jr.; 06-26-2013 at 04:05 AM.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Jr. View Post
    Alright thanks.
    I made some measurements in my sleeping room which I hope won't be too cold.
    Pet smart said that a 20 gallon would be fine which is why I was thinking about a 30 gallon tank.
    One thing I do worry about is the weight. (
    A couple things to probably know....
    1. Petsmart and petco workers are, for the most part, very unreliable. They are there to sell you stuff, not tell you what is best for you. TO find out what IS best, is your job. Surfing the web is a great way to find the information you need: for example, this forum. We are all pretty knowledgeable and will be brutally honest sometimes but we preach truth from experience and being around fish.
    Now, about the tank size, I don't know if a pictus cat could be in a tank that small. Not 100% sure on that, but just look around the web and see what others say about the pictus cat. An informed fishkeeper is a good fishkeeper.
    2. Fishkeeping can get a little expensive sometimes. It is always better to buy quality equipment and have a plan in mind than to trod along a little where you please. Having a plan will help cut these costs in the long run. That being said, you might want to invest in a good fish tank stand. Or, you could make your own. there is some good info on how to do that as well.
    Good luck!
    Journals Here

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Never trusts Petsmarts recommendations they are almost always to small(do your own research). Pictus should be kept in groups when younger and will eventually become less social with age, I would recommend at least a 75 gallon tank also.
    They WILL most likely eat any small fish you put with them, they have pretty large mouths.
    Last edited by ><))>WBW<((><; 06-26-2013 at 04:19 AM.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greentoads41 View Post
    A couple things to probably know....
    1. Petsmart and petco workers are, for the most part, very unreliable. They are there to sell you stuff, not tell you what is best for you. TO find out what IS best, is your job. Surfing the web is a great way to find the information you need: for example, this forum. We are all pretty knowledgeable and will be brutally honest sometimes but we preach truth from experience and being around fish.
    Now, about the tank size, I don't know if a pictus cat could be in a tank that small. Not 100% sure on that, but just look around the web and see what others say about the pictus cat. An informed fishkeeper is a good fishkeeper.
    2. Fishkeeping can get a little expensive sometimes. It is always better to buy quality equipment and have a plan in mind than to trod along a little where you please. Having a plan will help cut these costs in the long run. That being said, you might want to invest in a good fish tank stand. Or, you could make your own. there is some good info on how to do that as well.
    Good luck!
    Understood.
    I feel the Pictus is than a bit to much for me right now.
    I do understand that it can get expensive and I am open to all opinions
    (especially of those from people with experience)

Quote Originally Posted by ><))>WBW<((>< View Post
    Never trusts Petsmarts recommendations they are almost always to small(do your own research). Pictus should be kept in groups when younger and will eventually become less social with age, I would recommend at least a 75 gallon tank also.
    They WILL most likely eat any small fish you put with them, they have pretty large mouths.
    A tank that size right now will be too big.
    I am finishing my undergraduate school in 3 years and hopefully, I'll than be studying in America .
    (not such a big fan of the Dutch culture even though I'm part Dutch)

So, I'm searching for something small that I can enjoy for those few
    years.(Something that my family won't have a problem with maintaining when I'm studying)

Now for a 30 gallon tank, which fish species would you recommend ?
    (I have no problem going for a smaller tank)

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Glad you asked! I too have a 30 gallon tank, and I love it. It's got live plants (the key to growing them is a good light; a lot of research is needed to find a good one) and some small tetras. With a 30 gal, you have a lot of options. It is always better to do 1, 2, or 3 small schools of fish (around 6-12 individuals) in a tank than putting say a pair of fish in here and a pair of fish in there. Almost all tetra species 2 inches and under will be compatible with each other and will fit a small school in a 30 gallon tank. Look around on aquabid.com and see what you like (don't buy anything yet lol, that's a ways down the road). Then research their habitat and compatibility and build the tank around your future stock. Research is key.
    Journals Here

0 Not allowed!
    [QUOTE=Albert Jr.;1162100

A tank that size right now will be too big.
    I am finishing my undergraduate school in 3 years and hopefully, I'll than be studying in America .
    (not such a big fan of the Dutch culture even though I'm part Dutch) )[/QUOTE]

I can understand that. :)

Hmm... isn't a simple marine system easier for you? Getting sea water and live rock should be easy enough.

If you go for a catfish of any kind and treat it properly it will live far longer than 3 years. Perhaps do some research into killifish?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    I can understand that. :)

Hmm... isn't a simple marine system easier for you? Getting sea water and live rock should be easy enough.

If you go for a catfish of any kind and treat it properly it will live far longer than 3 years. Perhaps do some research into killifish?
    Remember that I'm still just a beginner.
    I've never owned any aquarium and I have no idea what live rock is.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    For a catfish that could do well in a 30gallon a bristlenose pleco could work.
    Last edited by ><))>WBW<((><; 06-26-2013 at 12:30 PM.