· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

so you can have one - Dave66   for your pleco loss - dean30bb   

0 Not allowed!
    But if the pH is jumping that much won't they start being more susceptible to disease and illness? I'm already loosing kribs this week. I know whenever there's been a drop or spike previously they haven't looked too happy.
    Tank 1
    2 shubunkins,1 fantail,1 feeder

Tank 2

1 gibby plec, 1 oscar, 1 brasiliensis
    Tank 4
    2 corys,1 gold gourami,1 gold severum, 1 green severum, 3 algae eaters, 1 convict,
    about 15 kribs, 2 widow tetra,4 glowlight tetra, 3 congo tetra

Tank 4 - Aggro - the jaguar & Psycho - the synspillum

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Juannie
    Ok I'm totally confused, I thought this would be an easy question. I've used a pH buffer to keep it at 7 but my fish like it around 6.6 - 6.8 - because they were used to it. Our tap water is around 8. The above products I've never heard of in Australia. I don't have plants because I honestly don't have the time to care for them and they're too messy, though I might go and grab oxygen weed to see if this helps, I know my fish loved that stuff.

It's very difficult because one minture our tap water is 7 the next it's pH8+.
    G'day Juannie

Once they get the new RO plant running on the 'Coast, hopefully the pH in the tap water will stabilise! You should be able to get peat granules in your LFS, placing a handful of these in the filter works well over time. I have put a handful in an old nylon stocking and just placed this in the tank (hidden somewhat by the plants and this also worked well).

Similarly, a piece of mangrove root from a LFS over time will lower the pH, but in the short term may cause the water to take on a pale tea coloured hue. This can be countered by water changes and the occasional use of activated carbon in your filter, but of course the carbon would negate the lowering of the pH you're trying to achieve.

I also suspect that you may have a reactive type of gravel in the substrate, which is slowly dissolving and causing the pH to rise. As removing or replacing the substrate is a major job, it would be easier to look for fish that appeal to you which like a higher pH; cichlids maybe?

Good luck and let us know how you go.

Hooroo

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

nice discus - Lady Hobbs   Excellent researching! - Rue   For Your Friendship & Help - MeganL3985   

0 Not allowed!
    There a lot of medications that can lower the pH safely. Driftwood also helps lower the pH and GH but it wont happen in a blink of an eye. It will happen over time.
    Salman

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need gifts - Lady Hobbs   And another - Lady Hobbs   What he had up his --- - Chrona   No, serioulsy. EVERYONE KICK HIM! - Drumachine09   RAK - DemonShark   
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - gm72   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - gm72   

0 Not allowed!
    "There a lot of medications that can lower the pH safely."

I strongly disagree. First of all, medications are used to treat illness. Secondly, if you are using chemicals to stabilize pH, there is something else wrong that should first be examined and corrected. Finally, are you able to name any of the "medications" to which you refer?
    8 tanks running now:
    1x 220 gallon, 2x55 gallon, 1x40 gallon long, 1x29 gallon, 1x20 gallon long, 1x5.5 gallon, 1x2 gallon
    Gouramis, barbs, rasboras, plecos, corys, tetras, fancy guppies, swordtails, ottos, rainbow shark, upside-down catfish, snails, and Max and Sparkles the bettas.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I think Salman may have meant "chemicals" in stead of "medications"??

Cheers