· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Excellent supporter! Great posts! - Rue   good poster/nice guy - Lady Hobbs   thanks for all the help here - Lady Hobbs   Thanks for the research! - Nick_Pavlovski   Have a cookie! - Drumachine09   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - RobbieG   

Default German Rams - who's the man?

0 Not allowed!
    I have 3 German Rams (Microgeophagus ramirezi) - the real name is correct the common name seems to apply to several species and I am trying to seperate the boys from the girls (to prevent any bloodshed)

I THOUGHT that the girls would have blue dots in the black spot and the boys would be bigger than the girls and have a fancier dorsal fin. But it looks to me like the the one with the blue dots in the spot is ALSO the largest and has the fancier dorsal.

I am very certain about the species - does anyone know the "best" way to tell for certain which are which.

For now I have removed the odd one out - they made it pretty clear which one that was - but I would like to get a few more to try to wind up with one more pair and would rather not accidently get 3 males and have them kill each other!
    Go ahead - try to count my Bumblebee Gobies!

72 Gallon Bowfront
    Angel, Sharks, Tetras, Fire Eel
    30 Gallon
    African Butterfly, Violet Goby, Tetras, Danios
    30 Gallon
    Clown Loaches, Neons, BumbleBee Gobies, Tetras
    10 Gallon
    Baby Platies

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

kickme and knock some sense into me, yeah right.lol - rollie   Ok, well here goes nothing *kicks sense into rollie*   :P - Drumachine09   for being a good freind with help and advice along with RAK - DemonShark   

0 Not allowed!
    one way of telling males from females is this.

the males top fin(one on top his back) will be more pointed.

the females will be more rounded.

but this is just one way of telling them apart.
    let the bells rings and the horns blow, for i am back.lol

http://www.freewebs.com/rolliefish

check it out if you want to.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    100 gallon
    75 gallon
    50 some set up, now.
    over 50 13 1/2 gallon tanks

in all have over 200 tanks

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Excellent supporter! Great posts! - Rue   good poster/nice guy - Lady Hobbs   thanks for all the help here - Lady Hobbs   Thanks for the research! - Nick_Pavlovski   Have a cookie! - Drumachine09   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - RobbieG   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Rollie

72 Gallon Bowfront
    30 Gallon
    30 Gallon
    10 Gallon
    Baby Platies

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    In the male the second ray on the dorsal will be black and elongated, the first and third may also be black and elongated. Females will also have a dark red coloration on the belly, reminiscent of kribensis. Females may have the fourth or fifth ray elongated but red.

My female has some blue on the edge of the black blotch, but none in the middle. I know she is the female because she has the red belly.

Size can be a variable since many things affect this, not just gender.
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist and Published Author in Multiple Aquarium Magazines
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Advanced Aquarium Concepts: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Fishguy - I may have been seeing the 4th or 5th ray and thinking it was part of the first 3. The fish are still pretty small (about 1")

72 Gallon Bowfront
    30 Gallon
    30 Gallon
    10 Gallon
    Baby Platies

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - William   Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   For being a good friend and merry x-mas - Lindsay_D   Thank You for thanking me - Lady Hobbs   a cool drink for summer - Lady Hobbs   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - DemonShark   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - DemonShark   Hepatitis C - DemonShark   

0 Not allowed!
    Ooo I LOVE GERMAN BLUE RAMS INFACT I WANT TO NAME MY MY SON IN THE FUTURE Ramirezi !!! Isnt that a cool name??? Anyway i know alot about them but rollie and was it fish guy?? Beat me to it, they have the right idea!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   Celebrating your amazing restoration work! - showmebutterfly   Have a Candy cane ;-) Merry Christmas - steeler58   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    Most of the german blue rams that are sold in stores are boys becuase they have more color and they also can give them hormones to give them more color when they are younger. Becuase when the fish are younger they dont have much color and then once they grow up the color up alot.
    "They had learned to speak, and so had won their first great victory over Time. Now the knowledge of one generation could be handed on to the next, so that each age could profit from those that had gone before." 2001: A Space Odyssey
    Arthur C. Clark

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The only way I tell is the females have pink belly.