· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Likelihood of Angel's mating in a community tank

0 Not allowed!
    I have a pair of angels, and just realized upon moving them into their upgrade that they are a male and female pair. I know they haven't mated, whats the likelihood of that in a community tank? I'm considering adding more fish to what I have, and would like another pair of angels.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

1 Not allowed!
    Just because you have a male and female does not necessarily mean you have a pair. You won't know if they are a pair until they "pair up" with that being said, they are cichlids and cichlids are pretty easy to breed.
    Angles will spawn in a community tank but it is unlikely you will get any fry. They often eat the eggs in community tanks because they don't want the other fish to get them.
    When they decide to spawn they can become very aggressive and will defend their eggs/fry sometimes killing other fish in the tank.
    Angelfish like to claim a lot of room, especially pairs, so unless you have a large tank (sorry I don't remember), I wouldn't add any more.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything Happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    A moderator on a fish forum should be able to identify an oscar... Don't you think?

0 Not allowed!
    If you want to keep two pairs of mated angels you better have about a 125g tank. I have had two pair successfully in my 125 and they both claimed opposite sides of the tank. But even then there is an occasional chase of one another.
    125g planted freshwater South American Cichlid and clown loach tank.
    9 Geophagus tapajos
    8 Angelfish
    6 Clown loaches
    4 Brochis cory's
    2 Clown plecos
    1 Green phantom pleco
    1 Black ghost knife

Video of my 125
    http://youtu.be/GiUFnRzx7m0

0 Not allowed!
    So I probably shouldn't add more angels?

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    How big is your tank? It can be done in tanks smaller than 125g but with actual pairs bigger is best.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Everything Happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you are stupid and make bad decisions.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    A moderator on a fish forum should be able to identify an oscar... Don't you think?

0 Not allowed!
    its a 55 gallon

0 Not allowed!
    I would stick with one pair with size of tank. Even then, if you are planning on breeding, you would have to turkey baste the wigglers out of the community tank and into a fry tank. The pair (if and when they pair off) will probably take 2/3 of the tank, the male guarding the larger perimeter.

I have a 90g with two regularly spawning pairs of angelfish (no other angels), but a breeding pair of BN and baby BNs. If I want fry from the pairs, I have to steal their eggs cause the BN clean up those eggs at night before anyone knows it, sadly.

In my 120g, I have had two pairs, I still had to yank the wigglers or free-swimmers, because I've always had mid-sized tetras in there too and when those babies start to venture.....well, I've seen it horrified, it's all over for the fry.

I think you may be able to do two pairs in your 55g if you have a nice divider, or even plants to divide territories. It really depends on the angelfishes' temperaments. But they all get pretty nasty during spawning time.

Just remember, 10gs per full grown angel is recommended. Having four in your 55g doesn't leave you much more room for other fish, let alone if they are spawning. So maybe going with one pair and a school of tetras, corydoras (or something else, smaller of your liking) might better a better option and more interesting for you to watch, especially if you are not focused on breeding.

That is my two cents.

0 Not allowed!
    Oh, and on the topic of the likelihood of a pair spawning in a community tank, if they become for sure a pair (they like eachother) yes, they most definitely will spawn in a community tank. You just won't likely reap the full benefits or see them raise their young very long unless you remove the spawn and the pair (or all the other threat fish). A divider for the pair might help, but no guarantees when the pair know the other fish are on the other side. Lol, I don't think the angelfish understand 'dividers'.