· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: A big mistake?

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Pleco380   you found the pleco! - Brhino   for helping me out thanks - Sirex   for not caring about those in need - KingFisher   Selfishness wrt Japans OBVIOUS humanitarian need - 850R   

Default A big mistake?

0 Not allowed!
    So today I decided to put a few of my ghost shrimp from my crab tank into my betta tank. Well I got six and put them in a little half gallon bucket and drip acclimated them to the betta tank params for about 2 hours dripping water into and out from the bucket with a very slow drip. Well I jsut put them in there and I noticed that atleast one of the six of them is female and that shes berried. She's carrying atleast 20 green/orange eggs and hopefully she wasn't stressed enough during the move to make her molt and lose them. But what I'm wondering is if they'll survive when the hatch or if the betta will eat them before they get a chancee to grow. Was this a mistake?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

am sure I deserve a few of these... lol - Cyberra   Thanks for sharing your X-stitch fish pillow project! - Aminax   for being prone to computer problems - Cyberra   happy birthday to me... August 29th - Cyberra   earned ANOTHER one... siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh - Cyberra   

0 Not allowed!
    Bettas are carnivores and will eat anything. They can even go after the adult shrimp. Given the chance they will eat baby shrimps.

The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of the act

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Pleco380   you found the pleco! - Brhino   for helping me out thanks - Sirex   for not caring about those in need - KingFisher   Selfishness wrt Japans OBVIOUS humanitarian need - 850R   

0 Not allowed!
    I know that and that's why I asked. I'm not to worried about the shrimp since there about half his size right now. It was the eggs I'm more worried about but I guess unless I can get some plants in there to help with cover their not even gonna have the slightest chance in there.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your first! - Algenco   You need some fish...hehe - Mith   Happy Holidays - Northernguy   for the awesome posts - mommy1   Thanks - KingFisher   

0 Not allowed!
    IIRC shrimp eggs start out in a larva form. they need plently microscopic organisms to live off of(mature tanks that have been up for a while) , and usually get sucked into the filter.

not all bettas are agressive, my betta doesnt even both the smallest of the ghost shrimp i have, and theyre easily bite sized.

not all shrimp sold as ghost shrimp can reproduce in freshwater though, i know my berried females dropped eggs and nothing came out of it. most likely for one of the reasons i mentioned

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    I think most fish will eat whatever will fit in their mouths. They are constantly on the search for food and have no conscious about what they eat so I don't anticipate those shrimp will make it. Doesn't mean the Betta is mean. It's just part of nature.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well I'm lookin today and she doesn't have them anymore so it doesn't really matter anymore.