· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a beer to go with your name :) - Abbeys_Mom   your christmas present.  It's the 33g, it's folded :) - Abbeys_Mom   Merry X-mas - NorthernBoy   Singing to you.  Can you hear me? - hobbs   In memory of your friend, and a little love for you on that loss - kimmers318   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - crackatinny   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - crackatinny   AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - crackatinny   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - crackatinny   

Default Growing oscar diet ideas

0 Not allowed!
    Our oscar is getting quite large, and I feel the pellets are just not enough for him, so today I got a beef heart, he loved this, I only cut off slivers and gave them to him, but tomorrow I am going to mince it, with some carrot, peas and lettuce, throw in some dried shrimp, I will freeze this mixture in small icecube trays, does it sound OK?. I got the basic idea from a common recipe on the net for oscars, I just omitted chicken liver, and powdered vitamin tablets (did not want to risk the wrong dosage of the vitamin tabs).

Also, how often should I give it to him, I am tossing up on this between, pellets in the morning and 1 cube of above mixture at night, a cube every second day, and pellets on alternating days, or mix in some pellets to and give him a cube in the morning and one at night.

He will also continue to get an ocassional treat of bloodworms.

He is about 9 inches.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    It sounds okay, but I would stick with pellets. It will probably be cleaner and more nutritionally complete.

What pellets are you feeding?
    Aquarist since 1995
    Biologist and Published Author in Multiple Aquarium Magazines
    Owner: Aquarium Maintenance Company
    Advanced Aquarium Concepts: Articles about many aspects of aquarium care.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a beer to go with your name :) - Abbeys_Mom   your christmas present.  It's the 33g, it's folded :) - Abbeys_Mom   Merry X-mas - NorthernBoy   Singing to you.  Can you hear me? - hobbs   In memory of your friend, and a little love for you on that loss - kimmers318   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - crackatinny   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - crackatinny   AIDS/HIV - DARE - DUI Awareness - Epidermolysis Bullosa - Heart Disease - Lymphoma - MADD - Substance Abuse - crackatinny   Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - crackatinny   

0 Not allowed!
    They are just a cichlid pellet our LFS sells in tubs, I think I will go with feeding the pellets in the mornings and beefheart/veg mixture at night and see how that go's.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Great advice thanks - nraposa   Thanks for helping me with my cichlids - Drumachine09   Always good answers - Lady Hobbs   You dont have enough gifts. - Drumachine09   

0 Not allowed!
    I would get them on NLS, it will be much better for them, even if it isn't the only thing being fed.
    Aquarist since 1995

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    William has homemade foods posted in one of his articles. It lists the same basic ingredients as you plan to use but his is mixed in clear gelatin and put in ice cube trays in the refrigerator. The gelatin would hold it all together. Every bit of fat needs to come off that beef heart before grinding it. His was with some fish as well but I can't remember what kind. Just a basis piece of white fish I think.

I don't know much about feeding oscars but doesn't too much meat cause bloat and worms? You read so many different things and one site says one thing and another something else. I also read the more meat they eat the more aggressive they become. Probably another topic with bad information.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Cheers - Cliff   Merry Christmas! - Plecos   Happy Holidays. - gadget228   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue   Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue   

0 Not allowed!
    Add some insects to their diet...once or twice a week give...

Crickets, mealworms, waxworms...all good!

In the wild, insects are a big part of their diet.
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 3 Fancies, 2 Comets
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Earthworms are easily grown and are one of the best foods you can give large carnivores/omnivores. They can also be freeze-dried. A friend of mine used to do it. I don't know the process as I alway feed my fish live worms.

If you want to add vitamins to your homemade food without worrying about overdosing, get VitaChem. It's easy to use and great stuff.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for all the help, I made the mixture up last night, and I did actually put gelatin in it to bind it.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    You could substitute the beefheart for kangaroo meat. It's basically fat free, and your Os will love it. Mine get home made food at least twice a week and they grew like weeds as youngsters. I always make sure that there's a crushed clove of garlic in the mix as its good for their appetite and some other health benefits. As a word of warning, corn should never be used as they can't digest it

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I had an oscar go from about 2.5" to about 5" in two months on just NLS and Hikari Cichlid Bio-Gold+.
    Aquarist since 1995