· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Thread: Native Biotope?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep! - Lab_Rat   500!!!!!!!! .`.`..`.> - korith   Congrats on 500 posts - DougStanley   Congrats on joining the 500 club.  You allready have a ram and a discus so I figured you needed an angelfish. - William   

Default Native Biotope?

0 Not allowed!
    Im think of makeing my 10g tank in to a native biotope with plants and fish that are native to michigan. I want to stock it with Rainbow Darters (Etheostoma caeruleum) but idk if a 10g is big enough for them? If not what could i keep in a 10g thats native to michigan?
    Last edited by kingkarter; 03-03-2011 at 02:58 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your first! - Algenco   You need some fish...hehe - Mith   Happy Holidays - Northernguy   for the awesome posts - mommy1   Thanks - KingFisher   

0 Not allowed!
    i dont really know what you could keep in a 10gal thats native to michigan, but i do know i personally wouldnt keep darters in a 10g. too small IMO

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Expert Elodea Growth Guesser! - Brhino   

0 Not allowed!
    Depending on filtration, some madtom species would be ok in a 10g. I think the tadpole madtom is native to MI, but not 100% sure on that.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep! - Lab_Rat   500!!!!!!!! .`.`..`.> - korith   Congrats on 500 posts - DougStanley   Congrats on joining the 500 club.  You allready have a ram and a discus so I figured you needed an angelfish. - William   

0 Not allowed!
    There are some madtoms but there pretty hard to find.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to AC! - Agassizii   glad you joined! - Lab_Rat   hiya - Jacko   Cyprinid. - Thanks. - VoidParadigm   North American fish expert - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    Eh, you could do rainbows if you really wanted to in a ten gallon. Although, they tend to like fast, clear streams. But if you are going planted aquarium, I'd would steer you more towards killies and madtoms, rather than the rainbows. If you are planning on collecting local plants, you will have very little trouble finding tadpole madtoms and banded killifish - both common throughout their range. A dipnet and some fast sweeping through dense vegetation and leaf litter should get you some madtoms. Now, both madtoms and the banded can get around 4'', but they are relatively slow growers considering their lifespan. So just consider this when stocking your tank.
    Support your local ichthyofauna - buy a fishing license!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleWillie
    Eh, you could do rainbows if you really wanted to in a ten gallon. Although, they tend to like fast, clear streams. But if you are going planted aquarium, I'd would steer you more towards killies and madtoms, rather than the rainbows. If you are planning on collecting local plants, you will have very little trouble finding tadpole madtoms and banded killifish - both common throughout their range. A dipnet and some fast sweeping through dense vegetation and leaf litter should get you some madtoms. Now, both madtoms and the banded can get around 4'', but they are relatively slow growers considering their lifespan. So just consider this when stocking your tank.
    Ok thanks. Would madtoms have a high bioload?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome to AC! - Agassizii   glad you joined! - Lab_Rat   hiya - Jacko   Cyprinid. - Thanks. - VoidParadigm   North American fish expert - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    They will not have a high bioload since they are so small, and you should only keep one in a 10 gallon. I wouldn't do madtoms AND rainbows b/c of the small footprint size of the tank, and the darters might become dinner. A ten gallon is hard to work with.
    Support your local ichthyofauna - buy a fishing license!