· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Anchoring Floating Plant to Submerged Heater Cord?

0 Not allowed!
    Is it safe to tie a floating plant (like Hornwort) to my submerged heater's power cord that rises out of the water?

The actual heating unit itself is way below the water line, and the plants wouldn't be touching the heater at all.

Other than that, what is an easy and not obvious way to attach plants to the top of the aquarium. I have a lot of empty space in my back-top corners and I want to fill them in with a floating plant.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No wonder your m doesn't work! Here is some more to replace what you sloshed. - mommy1   Bunny pest control penquin. - mommy1   I severely underestimated her stupidity... which was stupid of me! - Honey Badger 1   Well, from where I am sittin' it is good to have you back man! Have one on me. - Honey Badger 1   Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - 850R   

Lightbulb

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by nmb7895
    Is it safe to tie a floating plant (like Hornwort) to my submerged heater's power cord that rises out of the water?

The actual heating unit itself is way below the water line, and the plants wouldn't be touching the heater at all.

Other than that, what is an easy and not obvious way to attach plants to the top of the aquarium. I have a lot of empty space in my back-top corners and I want to fill them in with a floating plant.
    Suction cup.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Are regular plastic suction cups (washed of course) aquarium safe?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No wonder your m doesn't work! Here is some more to replace what you sloshed. - mommy1   Bunny pest control penquin. - mommy1   I severely underestimated her stupidity... which was stupid of me! - Honey Badger 1   Well, from where I am sittin' it is good to have you back man! Have one on me. - Honey Badger 1   Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - 850R   

0 Not allowed!
    Are regular plastic suction cups (washed of course) aquarium safe?
    I'd certainly imagine so but look on the packaging or buy some from the LFS
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    What would I look for on packaging?

I don't think hardware store packages of suction cups are going to mention if they're aquarium safe or not. As far as I know (or at least remember), my LFS doesn't sell suction cups either. They only really carry natural decorations (rocks and driftwood), livestock and plants.

I'm heading there tommorow (need declorinator and to see if they got a new shipment of plants) so I'll browse around and see what I can find.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    Tie them with fishing line to corks.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    won't the corks float around?

I don't want them being pushed down into the water by my filter. I have a slight current at the surface, and I don't want the plants moving all over the place.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Lightbulb No suction cups @ LFS! - Shop elsewhere

0 Not allowed!
    What would I look for on packaging?

I don't think hardware store packages of suction cups are going to mention if they're aquarium safe or not. As far as I know (or at least remember), my LFS doesn't sell suction cups either. They only really carry natural decorations (rocks and driftwood), livestock and plants.

I'm heading there tommorow (need declorinator and to see if they got a new shipment of plants) so I'll browse around and see what I can find.
    Two words I am certain you are familiar with: 'Non-toxic'

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    So maybe baby suction cups?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    The Pet Store and Craft Store had the same brand of suction cups. I went with the Craft Store since they were cheaper.

Also picked up anacharis and something called a banana plant. The anacharis is what is currently attached to the suction cup. The banana plant is really odd looking, but I stuck it in a decently bright part of the aquarium on top of some driftwood, so let's see what takes off.