· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Walmart bulbs

Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave66
    Most of those 'mystery' bulbs that come in packages like that are Aponogeton species in their resting phase. A lot are hybrids, but if you're lucky, an A. ulvaceus will be one of your bulbs, and it is a gorgeous plant. They grow lightening fast.

Also in the package are water lily bulbs, which are rounded. They could be a temperate or tropical species; no way to tell unless it sprouts.

Either way, you just lay the bulbs on the substrate, leave them there at least six weeks. If you're lucky you'll have one or two sprout.

Dave
    Thanks Dave, I didn't know all those details.

I do know I have the Aponogeton bulbs & I am waiting them out .... When [What optimism!] they sprout I'll post a pic and see if I got lucky.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I once got bulbs from Wal-Mart. I don't know the names of them, but was hoping someone could ID them from my description. The plants that grew from the bulbs were tall and skinny with a ton of small roundish leaves. they also grew very fast. Sorry i don't have any pictures of them.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TypeYourTextHere
    I once got bulbs from Wal-Mart. I don't know the names of them, but was hoping someone could ID them from my description. The plants that grew from the bulbs were tall and skinny with a ton of small roundish leaves. they also grew very fast. Sorry i don't have any pictures of them.
    I am pretty sure that i found out what plants they were. if I am correct, they were Anacharis.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/d...cfm?pCatId=819

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Didn't like the florescent tubs in my light hood, so I gutted it and installed four of the compact florescent bulbs. Brighter and uses less electricity and my plants are doing far better (besides, I couldn’t believe what stores want for lighted hoods now-a-days!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Bought a couple of them packages and only one is looking like its about to sprout but don't know I will find out when I get my new lights
    fish are like females beautiful and need a lot of love and attention! LOL

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by TypeYourTextHere
    I am pretty sure that i found out what plants they were. if I am correct, they were Anacharis.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/d...cfm?pCatId=819
    i think you might want to keep looking, unless im mistaken i dont believe that anacharis grows from a bulb

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have had mixed results with them.

But the ones that have sprouted and grew are still doing good and are nice, healthy plants...and I haven't boughten any for at least a year.
    30g:: Planted: 1 SAE, 1 Bristlenose Pleco, 5 Guppies, 3 Platys, 1 zebra danio, 9 Rasboras

2.5g: 1 Male Betta

0 Not allowed!
    I heard from those packs that generally only one or two are good. If the bulb is soft at all, it's no good. Just don't buy them again. Probably didn't cost enough to worry about the company replacing them.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have bought i think 3 packages of those bulbs. I have about 5 solid plants I got from those bulbs, it's really hit or miss.

Someone told me a good trick to tell the good from the bad and in my experience its worked. Bury them in the substrate for 24 hours, then see which ones float. If after being water logged for 24 hours they still float to the top then they are rotten. Not sure if its 100% right but it's worked for me.

0 Not allowed!
    Those packs are always hit or miss. Years ago when I first started with planted tanks I got a 6 pack that was awesome. 3 dwarf lillies and 3 apons that all germinated within a day or two and grew extremely healthy plants. Since then I've tried 4 more packs and of the 18+ bulbs only 2 ever sprouted and the ones that did were really poor quality plants. Every time I tried sending the dead bulbs back to the company for the 'free replacements' but never got any kind of response from any of them. Needless to say I don't buy those kind of bulbs anymore.

If you're looking for things like lillies and apons (or any other plants) head over to The Planted Tank forum and put up a request. There are a TON of great people over there with some great plants. That's were I get all my aquatic and some non-aquatic plants now. I've had great luck with them.
    75G Coldwater Setup (May 2011)
    Angelfish Fry Development Project