· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Spotted spiny eel questions and help needed

0 Not allowed!
    I purchased a spotted spinny eel about a month ago, he is doing fine but I have yet to see it eat or even move around.
    I know they are more nocturnal but I have heard of people getting them to eat out of their hand but I don't even see mine eat.
    The place told me frozen brine shimp but it doesn't come to eat it so my other fish eat it all. I was wonder if this is normal?
    Also I am not able to find much on the spotted spinny eel so I was wondering if any one has kept one and how simialer it is to the other members of the spinny eel family.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Because you needed a comfort fish... :-) Cheer up. Things will get better soon. - lotus flower   For your studies :D - CassieLEO   Have a bunny!  Be cautious if you get another  ;-) - 850R   850R said you need another bunny. - gadget228   Awww.. Your bunnies are now parents :-) - 850R   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Fisharefriends27   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Fisharefriends27   

0 Not allowed!
    I'm not an expert on spiny eels. Cassieleo knows alot because she has one.
    I've heard of people who haven't seen theirs for months and then they'll find them.
    120 gallon29 gallon
    5.5 and 2.5 gallon
    The harley man......no not the motorcycle, harlequin rasboras
    Angie R.I.P. 10/29/11

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

couldn't find snow and ice gifts - Lady Hobbs   burrrrrrr - Lady Hobbs   please post pics of your 10 hejuta. not many people on the forum are keeping nice predators like those. - Crispy   So sorry about your critters! :( - Rue   you are severely low on penguins :P - genocidex   

0 Not allowed!
    There is not much to know about them.Nocturnal,tank escapers,that need fine gravel or sand as they like to burrow.Try dropping sinking pellets near the eel.(Hikari massivore diet,sinking wafers,Wardley shrimp pellets,or any other brand.)Do not put with aggressive cichlids or tiny(food)like fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome, hope you like it here :) - Friendly   Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins   

0 Not allowed!
    Used to have a Tire track eel "Skid". Loved that fish, and yes we were eventually able to hand feed him.

When we first got Skid, he would only eat live food. He liked brine shrimp, black worms, and guppies, but his favorite was freshwater shrimp. After a while we got him to eat frozen blood worms, krill, and brine shrimp. And eventually he got comfortable enough for hand feeding.

Also when we first got him, we had plastic decorations. That was also when we discovered the magic of live plants. We revamped the tank with a compost/gravel bottom and ordered a bunch of plants. That was when he started coming out of hiding alot more, and his hunting and stalking instincts really came out.

We also got a fire eel around that time. When we tried to add the fire eel to Skid's 55 he freaked out and tried to kill it. We ended up setting up another 55 for the Fire eel. But not long into it, the intake screen fell off of the filter. The eel swam up the tube, got caught in the filter and died. So be careful about that. Also be careful to have a good top, I have heard of eels jumping through very small openings, though they are also apparently supprisingly hardy out of water. Many have been saved after hours on the floor.

Not sure how much this helps in relation to your spiny eel, but figure it's worth a shot.
    I like fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Abbeys_Mom   Please accept this as a token of my appreciation - crackatinny   Merry X-mas - NorthernBoy   For being a great poster from Hobbs - hobbs   thank you so much!!!  you're awesome!  here's some champagne!  i know, you can't drink it!!  lololol - jeffs99dime   
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Abbeys_Mom   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Abbeys_Mom   Childhood Cancer - Abbeys_Mom   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Abbeys_Mom   

0 Not allowed!
    I have a peacock spiny eel. I bought 2, but the smaller one didn't really stand much of a chance as he was very thin when I bought him. Mine eats pellets (though I have never seen him). I feed Black worm and earth worms when I can. He LOVES earth worms and will "bash" them to death on the lid then eat them.I don't think they eat pellets or flake on their own, they need to be slowly introduce. If you do see your eel and he is thinner then his head, then he needs to eat! Mine is very robust, much more then you would think. He is often seen during the day and mainly in the early evening. He "sits" in a plant pot, similar to a curled cobra.
    Greatest Guitar Forum Ever
    www.thestringnetwork.com

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome, hope you like it here :) - Friendly   Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins   

0 Not allowed!
    Ahh... now I remember how to resize the pics..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I like fish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Abbeys_Mom   Please accept this as a token of my appreciation - crackatinny   Merry X-mas - NorthernBoy   For being a great poster from Hobbs - hobbs   thank you so much!!!  you're awesome!  here's some champagne!  i know, you can't drink it!!  lololol - jeffs99dime   
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Abbeys_Mom   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Abbeys_Mom   Childhood Cancer - Abbeys_Mom   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Abbeys_Mom   

0 Not allowed!
    Here's mine. Excuse the water marks on the glass. They might even be cat nose prints.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Greatest Guitar Forum Ever
    www.thestringnetwork.com

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    What kind of plants did you use?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Mostly southeast asian stuff.

The grassy looking plant in the foreground is corkscrew val (valisneria sp. "asiatica"). The tall stuff in the back is Temple plant (Hygrophilia corymbosa v. "stricta") There are also copper crypts (Cryptocoryne wendtii "copper") in the foreground and the red lily type plant is a tiger lotus.
    I like fish.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    On the subject of tiretrack eels, have either of yours ever had like an almost white film over their eyes? My neighbor recently got one and in the past few days it has developed said film. Possibly going blind?