· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab_Rat
    20 ppm is much better than 40. That is good that the nitrite is 0, that is where it should be always. As the fish grow, you'll need to keep an eye on the nitrates since the fish will produce more waste. I'd do a 50% water change each time they hit 20 ppm to keep the tank as healthy as possible.
    Well since I do usually a 20% of 25% water change a week,I may want to experiment a bit on how high I should go,cause maybe it wont need 50%,but if the nitrate stays 20ppm,then I know I have to keep going up,until I hit that 50% water change mark.

0 Not allowed!
    You could do that, or you could just go to the larger water changes. The more water changed, the healthier your fish will be. But that is up to you. I would aim to keep nitrates less than 20 though. Like I said, my 75g gets an 80% water change every week.
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You could do that, or you could just go to the larger water changes. The more water changed, the healthier your fish will be. But that is up to you. I would aim to keep nitrates less than 20 though. Like I said, my 75g gets an 80% water change every week.
    Doesn't filtration play a big part of keeping nitrates low or at least I thought it does?

0 Not allowed!
    Nope, not unless you're using chemical filtration with purigen, chemipure, or nitrazorb type products. Filtration keeps the ammonia and nitrite down, the end product is nitrate. Nitrate is removed by water changes or live plants (live plants also use up the ammonia before it's converted to nitrate).
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nope, not unless you're using chemical filtration with purigen, chemipure, or nitrazorb type products. Filtration keeps the ammonia and nitrite down, the end product is nitrate. Nitrate is removed by water changes or live plants (live plants also use up the ammonia before it's converted to nitrate).
    I use to have 2 moss balls inside my 125 gallon tank,the Severum and Tiger Oscar destroyed them,I can't have tall plants either,due to the same situation with the Tiger Oscar.Unless I was able to find a way to hide the moss balls from them

0 Not allowed!
    I totally understand, I have live plants in with my CA/SA cichlids and they destroy them. That is why the water changes are so important, especially when you are overstocked and have big, messy fish.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I totally understand, I have live plants in with my CA/SA cichlids and they destroy them. That is why the water changes are so important, especially when you are overstocked and have big, messy fish.
    The moss balls lasted about 2 weeks,which I thought I can fool the Tiger O of him not seeing the plants at all,since they were not even in his way.I did notice the tiny aggressiveness of my Texas and the Tiger Oscar isn't doing anything about it,except back away from it,the size difference is close to 2 inch Texas and the Oscar being 10 inches.I assume the Tiger O,doesn't feel like doing anything about it,unless its maybe the Texas hasn't pushed him hard enough to make the Tiger attack?

0 Not allowed!
    Texas are quite a bit more aggressive than Os. You'd probably be best to start thinking of what to do with him. He may irritate the O enough so the O snaps, or he may pester the crap out of the O. It is not a combination I would keep.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Texas are quite a bit more aggressive than Os. You'd probably be best to start thinking of what to do with him. He may irritate the O enough so the O snaps, or he may pester the crap out of the O. It is not a combination I would keep.
    Strange,I would of thought they would be capable of being tankmates,I do notice the Texas will not go into the Oscars territory at all.The black convict tried to pester my O,but the O scared the crap out of her a couple of days later.So she isn't pestering him anymore.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum
    Empty 125g sitting in my shed
    55g Freshwater Tropical Community
    29g Convict Fry Growout Tank
    10g Freshwater Planted Tropical Community
    5g Freshwater Planted Dirt
    2.5g Ghost shrimp tank