· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default New to the forum

0 Not allowed!
    Hello all,I am new to the forum,I currently have a 125 gallon fish tank with South American Cichlids and a few African Cichlids at the moment.I currently have a 10 inch tiger oscar,5 in half inch Jack Dempsey,4 inch Green Terror,4 inch severum,3 inch baby JDs,two 2 inch texas,2 inch flowerhorn(which I am selling to a friend of mine shortly),3 inch salvini,2 inch black convict,3 inch eartheater,3 inch ob peacocks(which I am currently wanting to sell 3 of them).I know most will think I am overstock,but at the moment I see this as a temporary tank for about 2 years,until I get a 200 plus gallon tank.I do notice that the Tiger Oscar refuses to eat the smaller guys,due to I feed them well enough to reduce the aggression in the tank,which works a bit.I have just notice some minor things like the 2 inch texas trying to beat up the Tiger Oscar,but the Tiger Oscar isn't caring one bit and feels the Texas is no threat.Before anyone saids "Oscars can't fight",I use to own a 7 inch Jaguar that was beaten up by my Tiger Oscar,which is the reason I had to get rid of the Jaguar.

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum. Since you know your stocking is a bit ridic, I won't say it. Why would you say oscars can't fight? Also, what's your maintenance routine and nitrate level?
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab_Rat
    Welcome to the forum. Since you know your stocking is a bit ridic, I won't say it. Why would you say oscars can't fight? Also, what's your maintenance routine and nitrate level?
    Oh,well its not me who says that Oscars can't fight,its the usual "experts"who claim they can't fight.My Tiger Oscar fights when he feels like he is being threaten.As for my filtration,I am currently running Marineland Magnum 350 and 2 Marinland Penguin 350.I do once a week water changes.My nitrate level(NO3)40ppm,Nitrate(NO2)0.5,hardness is moderate,ph is 7.6(since I am on tap water).

0 Not allowed!
    Lol, any cichlid can fight, unless there is a structural deformity that prevents them from doing so. Those nitrates are pretty high, and there shouldn't be nitrites present in a cycled tank, so you may want to increase the water changes to get the nitrates lower. With that stocking you have, it's only going to get worse as the fish grow.
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well,since I seem like a nutcase for this type of stocking and not being welcomed,I will be going then,yet others have done far worse than I have ever done with much smaller tanks.
    My nitrate levels will always be that high either way.I never have gone pass the 8.0 mark at all.The lowest I can ever get it is,7.4 apparently.As I do the test,I am in the ideal range,which I am talking ph that is.As for the nitrates they seem to be ideal.
    Last edited by burzumaske20; 02-27-2011 at 04:07 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Never implied you are a nutcase. I am simply suggesting that 40 ppm of nitrates and 0.5 ppm of nitrites is not going to lead to healthy fish. Additionally, increasing water change frequency and amount WILL decrease nitrates. pH does not concern me. 40 ppm of nitrates is not ideal at all. It is on the high end of acceptable. As your fish grow, if you do not take actions to lower the nitrates they will not be healthy.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Never implied you are a nutcase. I am simply suggesting that 40 ppm of nitrates and 0.5 ppm of nitrites is not going to lead to healthy fish. Additionally, increasing water change frequency and amount WILL decrease nitrates. pH does not concern me. 40 ppm of nitrates is not ideal at all. It is on the high end of acceptable. As your fish grow, if you do not take actions to lower the nitrates they will not be healthy.
    well,since I am pretty new with the 125 gallon fish tank,came from a 55 gallon from the start in the beginning,what would be the ideal % of water change for the 125 gallon?20% or 25%?

0 Not allowed!
    I'd be doing a minimum of 50% water change on the 125g weekly. On my heavily stocked 75g CA/SA cichlid tank I change 80% of the water weekly. You do have to make sure you match temps when changing out that much water, but my fish do well and I am able to keep nitrates low with the 80% changes.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'd be doing a minimum of 50% water change on the 125g weekly. On my heavily stocked 75g CA/SA cichlid tank I change 80% of the water weekly. You do have to make sure you match temps when changing out that much water, but my fish do well and I am able to keep nitrates low with the 80% changes.
    I currently did a test on the water now,from the last week water change.I have gotten the NO3 to 20ppm and NO2 to 0.

0 Not allowed!
    20 ppm is much better than 40. That is good that the nitrite is 0, that is where it should be always. As the fish grow, you'll need to keep an eye on the nitrates since the fish will produce more waste. I'd do a 50% water change each time they hit 20 ppm to keep the tank as healthy as possible.