· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your first article and sticky! - fins_n_fur   For being a nice person. - Brookfish   For my fellow Missourian! - Corndawg   For the holidays : ) - lovleeko   Merry Xmas! - Corndawg   

Default Sev compatibility

0 Not allowed!
    I think I know the answer but do you think a school of tiger barbs would work with my sevs?

Thanks,
    Scott
    55gal: 1gold severum(jasper),1 Green Sev (Spot), 3 tiger barbs (left), bovarian ram.
    29gal: 3 goldfish growing out
    Scott

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Wecome to the forum - Lady Hobbs   ...Use it wisely. - Drumachine09   Superman of tanks big and bigger - Lady Hobbs   Cheers! - alizee340   for knowing stuff - Nick_Pavlovski   
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - Dave66   

0 Not allowed!
    For dinner when the severums grow up :) But seriously, you'd need at least eight tiger barbs for peace, with more, better, since lesser numbers would pick at the severums.

I'm aware your tank is a 55 gallon, so build your tiger barb school slowly, two one week, two more the next, and so on until your school is built. The time between additions allows the Nitrifying bacteria to procreate sufficiently to process the additional ammonia produced by the new fishes. It actually takes two weeks for a Nitrifying bacteria colony to double at 77 degrees. It'd be better to add two barbs every other week for that reason, but since store bought tiger barbs are pretty small, a week between additions shouldn't be a problem.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

For your first article and sticky! - fins_n_fur   For being a nice person. - Brookfish   For my fellow Missourian! - Corndawg   For the holidays : ) - lovleeko   Merry Xmas! - Corndawg   

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks dave, I really didnt figure they would work at all since they are fin nippers but I think a school of 8 would look awesome in my tank.
    55gal: 1gold severum(jasper),1 Green Sev (Spot), 3 tiger barbs (left), bovarian ram.
    Scott

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Next round is on me! :-D - MCHRKiller   Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   Friends don't let friends drink alone, Cheers - Cliff   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   I think this will help after the tree - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    I think it could work, but like Dave said, make sure you have enough of them so they leave the sevs alone. I keep rosy barbs as dithers in with my sevs (and the rest of the CA/SAs I have).
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Well I ran it by my wife since our tank is in the living room I like to make sure she likes the set up too and she likes the looks of the tigers so that is the plan. I think I will get a 1 or 2 pictus cats for bottom dwellers and then we will have a nice full tank again.
    Scott

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Next round is on me! :-D - MCHRKiller   Another day, another round for my friends. - mommy1   Friends don't let friends drink alone, Cheers - Cliff   After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1   I think this will help after the tree - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    I'd get 2 as they are social creatures, but do watch out for aggression. I've got 4 in my 75g and they can beat on each other every now and then. Nothing serious, but something to be aware of.
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the heads up Lab Rat I knew about the social but didnt know about aggression.
    Scott

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, when they squabble, they swim along side each other slamming into the other. Sometimes there are scrapes or torn fins, but they seem to work it out amongst themselves. I try to give plenty of hiding spots for each one to cut down on that.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

No Message - Abbeys_Mom   Please accept this as a token of my appreciation - crackatinny   Merry X-mas - NorthernBoy   For being a great poster from Hobbs - hobbs   thank you so much!!!  you're awesome!  here's some champagne!  i know, you can't drink it!!  lololol - jeffs99dime   
    Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - Abbeys_Mom   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Abbeys_Mom   Childhood Cancer - Abbeys_Mom   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Abbeys_Mom   

0 Not allowed!
    I had 9 tiger bards in with my Severum (back when he was 6") and it did not go well for the barbs. When ever the barbs would fight the severum would pick off the loser and shake him/her to death. My Severum also killed 3 Kribensis, but seems ok with my firemouths and festivum that are all smaller then he is.
    Greatest Guitar Forum Ever
    www.thestringnetwork.com

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, that's a really aggressive sev. Mine are with rosy barbs and SAEs and I haven't had a problem at all.