· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Colombian Shark?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,

I have what I'm pretty sure is a catfish. He was sold to us as a 'hi fin shark' but after a few searches when we got home, we found out it was a completely different fish. A bit more searching and the closest match I could find was a Colombian Shark, though I am only 80% sure on this so here's a picture if anyone can verify... The picture doesn't show it but he has a wide mouth..

The profiles say that it is a brackish fish, so I was thinking of buying him a separate tank in the near future since he is currently in our freshwater tank and has eaten 7 of our smaller fish already... Currently he's in a 20gal tank but what size should I get for him? Will it need a filter, heater, etc?

Thanks.. :)

Edit: Right now he is only a few inches long, if that helps as to what size tank he should have

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

0 Not allowed!
    It does indeed look like a colombian shark. I don't have personal experience with them, but the two main points of interest look to be the fact that they can grow to nearly two feet long, and that they need to transition from fresh/brackish to brackish/marine as they age.

Keeping this fish properly will not be cheap. It will require a very large tank. The first thing you should do is decide if you want to invest the time and money in providing a proper home for this fish. If the answer is no, you should see if you can return it or find another suitable home for it.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

0 Not allowed!
    Looks like a very young Iridescent shark; Pangasius species. Grows to four feet, and is a schooling fish, so no fewer than six, meaning a truly massive tank in the many thousands of gallons to keep them.

Can't be a columbian shark, since they have whiskers.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 

0 Not allowed!
    It looks like the fish in the picture has one visible whisker, angled backwards and down.
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Dave,is right about that one.could be a mekong giant though.Have been seeing juvies for sale lately.Look at the eyes and chunker body.If it is a bigger version it could grow into a 10 foot monster.There are many,many pangius catfish.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    well, these guys know their fish better than me, so I'm probably wrong. Either way this fish is going to be massive one day, so unless you're looking to buy an enormous tank this fish won't be suitable for you.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you do keep him/her he/she will need a filter. All fish NEED a filter.
    120 gallon29 gallon
    5.5 and 2.5 gallon
    The harley man......no not the motorcycle, harlequin rasboras
    Angie R.I.P. 10/29/11

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the replies so far.. he does have whiskers, here's a better picture:

If the general idea is that he will need a much bigger tank we will probably not be able to keep him... Currently we are living in an appt and it will probably be a hassle to maintain it, and we are planning on moving soon anyways... I guess we will have to see what happens :)

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by xCarriedAway
    has eaten 7 of our smaller fish already...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    Keep an eye on them, they can be real pigs at feeding time.
    I'd say you're correct!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    that's funny! He is actually pretty good at feeding time, he used to eat all of the flakes he could possibly find in the first couple months, now he just sort of gets excited and swims around the whole tank eating the bigger pieces :) and he completely ignores brine shrimp!

Also, thanks for the advice, now I am pretty sure he is actually a Paroon and not a colombian :)
    Last edited by xCarriedAway; 02-25-2011 at 09:46 PM.