· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa 
    The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime 
    Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog Cheers - Cliff 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    At least I'm not alone!

Now I just have to nip down to Montana and find an optician...

For $90 bucks a pair I can have a whole wardrobe of glasses! (Vs. $900 a pair)...

Seriously though...it's such a pain...you know how your eyes feel when you've done an all-nighter? Mine always feel kinda like that...
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

Awards Showcase

am sure I deserve a few of these... lol - Cyberra Thanks for sharing your X-stitch fish pillow project! - Aminax for being prone to computer problems - Cyberra happy birthday to me... August 29th - Cyberra earned ANOTHER one... siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh - Cyberra 
    I dub thee official greeter to the forum! - korith Happy Belated One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue You need another betta! - Pleco380 it birtha the birthday betta XD - genocidex A birthday betta for you. - mermaidwannabe 
    You need a popsicle after wheelbarrow races! haha - escamosa Where there's plows, there's piggies! :) - escamosa You need some grapes, 'cause they were mentioned in the riddle! haha - escamosa to congratulate you on 2 years! - andreahp Here's one Christmas present! - Rue 
    I'm sorry I couldn't ship you one!! Forgive me! - bethyMT ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith this might help numb your lips lol - Gogi For being awesome and bringing me here. :) - Flyby Stardancer We need to get you up so you have as many bettas as you do in RL. ;) - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    I wear glasses be/c I have a problem with a weak right eye. If I hadn't gotten glasses I'd be totally blind on the right side by now. But mine are normal glasses (albeit with a thick right lens to make the eye work). And apparently that particular eye has a scar on the back of it.

The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of the act

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by johndoe222
    I may be 14 but I'm nearly legally blind. The first set of glasses I got were bifocals and I hated them. I couldn't understand how people wore them. Then I went to regular glasses then contacts. I have dry eyes to but I carry around a dropper full of contact solution. If I were you I'd go to the double pair of glasses. And what kinda insurance you got? I have never heard of a $400 set of glasses. The most I ever payed was $125.
    Perhaps you may want to check with your parents on that one. I have a feeling some of the cost of your glasses was covered by insurance......well, most of the cost. Frames alone cost over $100. And also more than that for the eye exam alone. And then you still have to pay for the corrective lenses and that is based on what your eye problem is.

10 years ago mine were $350. That was a plain pair of wire frames. Not even tinted and with no insurance on them.

0 Not allowed!
    You're right Hobbs! I just got my new pair of glasses back. Now, I'm severely myopic.. and one eye is worse than the other. Throw in severe astigmatism and I'm as blind as a person who cant see very well at all.

My frames cost about 250 dollars and I opted for the cheapest polycarb lens I could buy. I wanted glass, since I think polycarb lenses are a scam. But whad'dya know.. they no longer offer glass.. hmmm

They tout polycarb lenses as being soo light and strong, and yes thats true..but they also get scratched very easily. Even if you take good care of them, they will get scratched.. microfibre cleaning cloth and all. And there lies the scam. Even all the expensive options aren't worth it. Transition lenses become permenantly discolored after a couple years and anti glare coatings become hazy and start flaking in the same timeframe. The solution? get your lenses changed of course (with all the options you are made to believe you absolutely need)

With glass lenses, yes theres a danger of them shattering upon impact, but Ive had glass lenses for many years and they were quite impact resistant. Not the ticking time bomb they would have you believe. Also, high refractive index glass lenses are quite thin and therefore not as heavy as you are made to believe. You get used to the negligible extra weight very quickly.

Glass lenses are also very durable. I have never gotten a scratch on a glass lens even after my glasses tumbled down some rocks. Finally, the optics are just superior. If polycarb lenses are so wonderful, how come all the superior optical equipment use glass?

Of course, why would they want you to buy something that would last you many years when they could sell you something that will ensure you come back in quarter the time
    Last edited by Aeonflame; 02-21-2011 at 02:30 PM.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

Awards Showcase

Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa 
    The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime 
    Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog Cheers - Cliff 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    I agree the plastic lenses scratch too easily...my last pair were horrible. I've been more careful with the ones I have now and they're in much better shape.

I never thought of it as a money grab though...I have a fear of wearing 'outdated' frames (thanks to my relatives never changing their frames until they had to because they broke...they'd only change out the lenses if the frames were still good...then the frames get discoloured, the nose pads turn yellow and green, and the grime just doesn't come out anymore...never mind the style! )...so I don't like to go more than 3 years without new frames...and yes, we have insurance that covers most of it or maybe I'd be hanging on to frames forever too...

But...with my prescription, glass is too heavy and thick (they'd make permanent groves on the side of my nose)...I still have a pair of amazing 'coke-bottle' lenses (those were plastic to make them lighter) - they got me a LOT of attention (er, none of it good...children would point at me and cry)...so I am quite conscious of the frames.

I don't want trendy, stand out frames either! Just something quietly in-style...
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

0 Not allowed!
    Well, I guess that means my glasses with the packing tape holding one bow on is not cool any longer. Only now and then does my hair get stuck to the tape and chunks get ripped out of my head.

I was reading an article once about these smanzy frames we get. Most come from China and cost the eye clinic $8 a pair. *sigh

0 Not allowed!
    I recently bought glasses at walmart. All my insurance covered was part of the appointment and not anything for glasses. I only payed $80 for the pair of lenses and the frame. I tried contacts before and loved them but kept getting eye infections so I went back to glasses.

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

Awards Showcase

You need a gift - Lady Hobbs Have a beer on me - sailor Fresh outta the Chesapeke...maybe..lol - jbeining75 happy 21st birthday yay - angelcakes Happy birthday! - Tigerbarb 
    Thanks for the congrats...decided to share my wealth LOL - Fishalicious For helping AC with profiles! - William Welcome Back xxx - Fishalicious Good to see you back on. Gotta give one for a local. - oldhead Have  beer on me! Its the weekend. - northernguy 
    Same to you! - NickFish Happy thanksgiving! Enjoy your algae stay away from turkey! : ) - The Red Severum For being so welcoming to a newbie. - Brookfish A Little Extra Luck For You! - Northernguy This one moves! LOL - Wild Turkey 
    For being a great contributor to the community - ILuvMyGoldBarb for driving participation in the forum - Gemini for breaking your winning streak - mrs fishpatrick here tuck in LOL - mrs fishpatrick FOR TEACHING ME SO MUCH - waterhog 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - turkey151 Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - turkey151 Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - Wild Turkey Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Wild Turkey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Wild Turkey 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Wild Turkey 

0 Not allowed!
    IME bifocals are more trouble than they are worth, I also had a hard time adjusting to look through the different parts of the lens. I use a regular near-sighted scrip for everyday, and soon I will have to pick up a pair of reading glasses, but for now its easier to just take them off to read a book. Both my parents do the switching between the two as well.

In the end though its best to go with whatever you are most comfortable, you are going to be wearing them a lot of course.

I know a guy so I get my glasses at cost, and yes they are very cheap for them to buy and make the lenses, they way overcharge average joe imo.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have horrible eyes. My glasses are like 3" thick...well not that thick( --- <-- that thick) but I can't see anything without my glasses... Even this screen
    120 gallon29 gallon
    5.5 and 2.5 gallon
    The harley man......no not the motorcycle, harlequin rasboras
    Angie R.I.P. 10/29/11

0 Not allowed!
    Just a comment that I've read in Detroit papers.
    Thin glass lenses are available, in Canada. Breakage is always a danger, but the coke bottle bottom can be replaced with what will appear to be just a standard lens.

Also, nose pads are easily replaced. Generally a dollar or two for fresh flexible silicone.