· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your first! - Algenco   You need some fish...hehe - Mith   Happy Holidays - Northernguy   for the awesome posts - mommy1   Thanks - KingFisher   

Default putting big rocks into a tank?

0 Not allowed!
    i have a 75gal mbuna tank that i plan on re-doing in the warmer months. ive already collected some rock i want to use. the problem is that the 6 rocks in looking to use weigh close to 50lbs a piece. i know that in the past i had close to 130lbs of slate in the tank, and it help fine. im just wondering if anyone has a link to a sight, or knows how much weight a tank with a specific thickness of glass can hold?

i will be using egg crate beneath these larger boulder type rocks for extra safety

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a great Birthday! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Birthday. - gadget228   

0 Not allowed!
    My understanding is that any tank larger than 10 gallons has tempered glass on the bottom. However, if it were me, I wouldn't attempt using real rocks that heavy. Does your LFS sell realistic-looking fake rocks that are that size but are lightweight? That might be the safer route to go ... I just know I wouldn't do the other in any tank I have. I use real rocks at times, but they're much smaller and don't weigh that much.

-- mermaidwannabe
    20 gal. high: planted; 5 white cloud minnows, 4 golden White Clouds, several RCS, 2 blue shrimp, 5 Amano shrimp, several snails; Azoo air. 65 gal: planted; 6 rosy barbs, 6 yellow glofish, 3 red glofish, 3 zebra danios, 5 white cloud minnows, 3 dojo loaches, 6 crimson spot rainbow fish, 12 large Amano Shrimp, several snails; AC110.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your first! - Algenco   You need some fish...hehe - Mith   Happy Holidays - Northernguy   for the awesome posts - mommy1   Thanks - KingFisher   

0 Not allowed!
    yea my tank is a tempered bottom. i dont like using fake rocks, especially when i can find mine for free, instead of paying 15-40 bucks a piece. im thinking about drilling and cracking them and spacing them out so the weight is more distributed instead of concentrated on one side of the tank.

edit: ive been doing a lot of reading. the info in finding pertains to SW but weight is weight no matter what the water. one post i read on a website is from a guy who has ~230 lbs of sand and rock. time to keep reading!
    Last edited by KatzeSlaugen; 02-19-2011 at 06:29 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    sorry for the double post, couldnt edit in time.
    found this cool youtube video about a 10gal holding weight. also found a lot of people saying that tempered glass proportionate to the tank can easily hold the weight of the water +400lbs of "extra". since ive got about 70lbs of gravel it means ive got a little over 300bs of wiggle room. no way im going to be putting that much in, to nerve racking for me

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1   and gift - mommy1   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff   Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199   

0 Not allowed!
    Everything is lighter in water. ;) Volume is what the tank is designed for and water weighs 8 pounds a gallon.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    well i guess to get technical im not worried about weight, im worried about the mass of the rocks. everything is "lighter" in water relatively, but everything has the same mass in water.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    The mass isnt what will break your tank! Am I mistaken or for something to be lighter in water,then it must be buoyant?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Holiday Ham comes ones a year... to bring you a pig size share of holiday cheer! - Trillianne   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by smaug
    The mass isnt what will break your tank! Am I mistaken or for something to be lighter in water,then it must be buoyant?
    That would be lighter than water.

Also the ratio of surface area to mass plays a role.

Anyway, you will be fine with the rocks, especially with using egg crate to disperse the weight.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the quote - **AquaQueen**   Message for you sir! - Aeonflame   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KingFisher
    That would be lighter than water.

Also the ratio of surface area to mass plays a role.

Anyway, you will be fine with the rocks, especially with using egg crate to disperse the weight.
    Than bite me KF

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    haha yea i worded that kindof wrong. but yes it must be buoyant to be lighter. seeing as water is 1 in density and most terrestrial rock is around 2.5 if i have a rock that displaces one gallon of water in volume will itself will weigh 20lbs