· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default Ghost Shrimp and Female Betta?

0 Not allowed!
    I was thinking of a shrimp, since they seem really adorable and ultra-low matinence

But I have a female betta in my community 10gal. She doesn't bother her tankmates (oto catfish, cory catfish and snail), would she find a Ghost Shrimp delicious, and eat it? She has a varied diet, and I keep her fed.

Usually when I introduce a new species into the aquarium, she stalks it for hours until she figures out it isn't food. She doesn't nip at them, but she usually nudges them, and follows them until she feels they're not a threat or food. But with a shrimp... it kind of is food.

I was thinking of getting between 1-3. Right now my aquarium is on the middle end of being fully stocked, and I still am considering another snail and maybe an ADF (not likely because of my filter, though), so I don't want to just fill the rest of the aquarium up with shrimp.

Can they be kept alone? Or should I opt for 3 or more? What is their bio-load, is it low enough that a largerish number of them wouldn't really do much? There's plenty of hiding spots, and I plan on adding more for my oto, so they will benefit from that also.

Aquarium is already cycled.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your first! - Algenco   You need some fish...hehe - Mith   Happy Holidays - Northernguy   for the awesome posts - mommy1   Thanks - KingFisher   

0 Not allowed!
    depending on the corys you may find them being the ones eating the shrimp, at least thats how it went in my tank

their bio-load is very very small and ive heard of people keeping 100+ RCS in a 10gal with no other inhabitants. you could very easily try out 6 ghost shrimp. theyre cheap and if they dont get eaten you know your tank will probably be safe for other shrimp
    Last edited by KatzeSlaugen; 02-19-2011 at 04:34 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Now that you mention it, they're pretty pushy whenever food happens to hit the bottom. Sometimes they even force the snail into his shell, because they're trying to "clean" him by sticking their barbels into his shell...

I'll try 1, and see if he survives and pick up a few more. They're 50 cents, so it's not like it's a huge investment. If something eats it, it'll just be a treat for them I guess.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Plan for today is

- Get 3 Ghosts to test to see if things go alright.

-If they don't... well... a tasty meal for a happy little lady betta and some cute little cories
    -If the Ghosts work out for a week, I'm going to get some cherry shrimp.

I told my mom my plan and she thought the ghost shrimp we ugly, so I can't have more than 3 if I want to keep it in the family room. I finally convinced her cherry shrimp are cuter, and she says they're better looking. I'll probably get as many as I can afford of those (probably 4-6)

But I'm still going to test it using ghosts, since cherrys are like 3x the price of ghosts, and as much as I love my betta, she doesn't really need a 1.50 lunch.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I just put ghost shrimp in with my bettas and they totally ignore them. I think these fish are really only interested in food that can fit in their mouths. They can't bit chunks off like a Piranha.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    80 Gallon: Native Temperate Reef

5 Gallon Native Temperate Invert tank

20 Gallon Planted: Cherry Barbs, Common Pleco, Floating frog, Fire Bellied Newt

10 Gallon Planted: Apple Snails/Cherry Barb Breeder.... fingers crossed

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your first! - Algenco   You need some fish...hehe - Mith   Happy Holidays - Northernguy   for the awesome posts - mommy1   Thanks - KingFisher   

0 Not allowed!
    my betta demolished ghost shrimp when i put some in to do the test i mentioned. bettas are very different in personality, and mine did go piranha haha. soon as they hit the water the betta followed one around nipping it. i guess it liked what it tasted as it then began biting and thrashing and basically ripping the shrimp up. within about a day the ghost shrimp i had were either ripped up and eaten, or ripped up and laying dead on the bottom

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Okay, so ghost shrimp are apparently only 33 cents

So I got 6...

All 6 are safely in the aquarium for a about an hour.

The betta actually did her normal headbutt of a new recruit (she's done this every single time I've put in a new fish), and the new recruit (and his 5 friends huddled together) held up his pincers like a brave soldier, and she let him live. He is spared for now, but she's still very curious about them. If she picks on one that's smaller, or shedding, it might get ugly.

The cories had a slight scuffle where I thought I was going to lose a shrimp. Luckily, the one corie picked the largest of the bunch (which is actually bigger than the cory), and decided to ignore all of them. One brave little soldier decided to challenge a cory for an algae wafer. The cory just flailed a little, and the little critter scurried away.

There's one shrimp, however, that's only about the size of one of my betta's fins. I'm not sure about him, since he can fit in anything's mouth. The others are all about Neon Tetra size, so they seem to be left alone.

I have a good feeling about them, but it seems pretty tense right now, since I think the betta could snap at any second and attack the smallest one. Luckily, the smallest one keeps clinging onto one of the bigger shrimp, so she's left him alone.

They all basically stay huddled together. If they make it a week, I'm going to get 3 or 4 cherry shrimp and have a nice amount of shrimp.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Hang on... are cherrys and ghosts compatible? I'm getting mixed results from Google.

By the way, my petstore also had 2 other kinds of shrimp (besides cherry and ghost)

Something called an "algae eating shrimp" and a "tiger shrimp." What are those?

The tiger shrimp were ultra-tiny and I was thinking they would quickly get eaten, but do they grow bigger? They were colorful and cool looking, and the same price as the cherry shrimp. I may get those if they grow larger than the cherry shrimp.

And what on earth is an "algae eating shrimp." It was pretty large compared to the other shrimp, and the store had like a million of them. They were also the most expensive (2.99 for a shrimp?).

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    A new day and...

still 6 shrimp

When I first turned the light on, I thought I only had one left, since the biggest shrimp was hanging from a leaf, and no other was in sight.

Found the other 5 were hiding between leaves, and in decorations I had never even seen my fish acknowledge existed. Since they're so much smaller than most of my fish, and since they "walk" they can get into much smaller hiding spots than any of my fish. In between tangled (fake) plants, and in between the stalks of a fake bamboo statue I have

God help me when I add a driftwood cave to the aquarium today, lol. I'm never going to find these little soldiers (who I've affectionatly named the "shrimp army")

So now that I've named them, it'll be even more difficult for me if Lady (my betta's name) goes on a rampage. It takes a lot of my respect to get a name in my aquarium, and so far only Bismark (Oto catfish) and Lady have names. And for their bravery and intelligence in avoiding being eaten, welcome to the exclusive club "Shrimp Army"
    Last edited by nmb7895; 02-20-2011 at 01:41 PM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thank you for all the advice - Cliff   No Message - Aydreean   Thanks! Here's a shrimp for ya. - Flakes4Bait   Thank you!!! - harpua2002   Merry X-mass, and thanks for the help this past year - Cliff   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    The red cherry and ghost shrimp will probably be alright together. Whether the betta takes an interest in the shrimp will depend on the betta's temperament.