· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ive used super glue to attach bunches of javafern to wood. just make sure you dont use the "extended dry" type as it will take about 1.5 minuets to dry as opposed to seconds.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well it looks like next weekend will be D DAY because my funds will arrive.

What I have:

2 AC 50s

1 Aqueon 100 watt submersible heater

And the above tank, stand, and top with light

What I need:

1 Aqueon 100 watt submersible heater

Background

Upgrade standard bulb to one that helps plants a little with out frying fish

Substrate

Mopani wood

Rocks

Live plants

Air pump

Air stones

Light timer

Digital temp gauge

2 pre filters

Questions:

If I boil the rocks will they be safe for the tank?

As long as I don't get limestone my PH should not go up correct?

The tannins from the mopani can be remove by carbon filters correct?

also if you guys and gals see anything I missed or any brands you have had luck with let me know.

I will be running a redundant system 2 filters and 2 heaters.

I was also thinking about running one filter intake low and one towards the middle?

Let me know what you think?

Thanks

3. Default driftwood

0 Not allowed!
    I've always heard that the driftwood can benefit from a few days soaking in water to leach out the tannins. I would assume this would apply to the type of driftwood you mentioned...
    1 38 gal freshwater
    1 Sailfin Pleco
    3 red eye tetras
    4 harlequin raspboras
    2 mollies
    3 albino corys
    2 ottos
    4 neon tetras
    2 dwarf guramis

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a lot of homework to do (when your old it takes longer to soak it up. No pun intended) but I decided to take a break and go to pet store. I do not get my tax refund back until next weekend and I promised my wife I would wait to buy the stuff I needed until then...............But i found such a great deal Honey

Well I was going to do two heaters of 100 watts each because I had a new 100w sitting here. But the pet store had a 250w Aqueon Pro on sale for $36.49 and I had a $5.00 rebate certificate already so I will end up paying $31.94 for it.

Oh I also had to pick up the last 2 prefilters they had.

Oh and I wanted to get some shrimp pellets for my corries.

Then I had to leave before I really got myself into trouble.

I have also decided to use playground sand after reading several posts on the forum this will save me a lot of money on substrate.

This savings will allow me to buy a new light and glass top.

Below is a pic of my trip today. Next weekend should be very fun if Uncle Sam takes care of me.

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Nice looking tank! Great deal! I soaked my mopani wood for 3 days in an utility sink.
    cats and fishtanks are like potatochips, you just can't have only one!

0 Not allowed!
    Nah, I never glue my plants down. I normally just stick fern where I want it..it will attach to substrate or whatever in due time. Anubias I either stick into the cracks between rocks or lightly plant the roots in the substrate. Now in my 150G with the large fish everything is held down with rubber bands and plant weights.

I would personally keep both intakes a couple inches off the substrate...with powerfilters the return pushing water into the column from the top you get a better dispersion of dirty water and clean water that way. It will also help keep your sand clean. I would however suggest poolfilter sand over playsand because playsand is very dusty and very tiny grain sizes. It will destroy the impellers of your filters. Poolfilter sand is a larger heavier grain so it wont do the damage of playsand. As long as the rocks dont contain limestone they will be fine, cleaning them in some hot water will be enough...no need to boil. I would probably soak the wood a few days in hot/boiling water changed out daily for 2-3 days just to allow it to sink, clean it and take out some of the tannins.
    Last edited by MCHRKiller; 02-19-2011 at 11:45 PM.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome deal on the tank! I love bowfronts!

8. Default First coat of paint

0 Not allowed!
    Well I had some time tonight so I put the first coat of latex Glidden Black Onyx on the tank.

It looks like it is going to take 4 or 5 coats.

Do you know if they make black or somewhat natural looking pool sand. I am really going for a natural look and do not want white. I may have to just break down and buy some aquarium sand the color I want.

I am trying to keep the cost low so I can get a new 36" T5 light to rplace the standard light on the tank. I cannot find any used ones. I did find a place that had them cheap but I am a little leary. The link is below. Let me know what you think.

http://www.aquatraders.com/Odyssea-3...g-p/52122p.htm

Thanks for the plant and rock advice I will be rock hunting tomorrow. I was just nervous about PH and Bacteria.

Thanks for looking and I will be posting again when I am done painting and start putting the decor in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

0 Not allowed!
    The fixture linked will do fine for a planted tank of low-medium light plants. They have improved quality of those fixtures alot over the last few years, they are pretty good. Of course if you spent $150 you would have a higher quality unit but that one will do the job for 1/3 the price.

I would honestly get a plant specific substrate, it is more pricy in the start but your plants will thank you down the road when they have a proper substrate. I would honestly go for some EcoComplete it is a very natural black substrate which has a blend of particles from sand grade up to aquarium gravel grade. Plants also do very well in it. Sand is not typically a desirable substrate because it can compact around the roots and can lead to root rot in heavily rooted plants. 2-3 bags of Eco would do your tank, you can find it online for around $20 per bag.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Will the Cory Cats be ok in the Ecocomplete? From what I have read they need to be able to root around with out damaging their wiskers.