· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default SIREX'S 46 Gallon Bow Front

0 Not allowed!
    Today I bought a 46 Gallon oak bow front with stand, glass top, and Light for $80.00 used.

I filled it with water and no leaks

I have a 20 gallon with an AC 50 on it. I bought another AC 50 today. I am going to put the Aqueon Quiet flow 20 on the 20 Gallon and move the AC 50 along with the new AC 50 on the new tank. This will give me 2 AC 50s running on a 46 Gallon tank.

I cannot move the old filter until the Aqueon Quiet flow 20 has enough good bacteria. Any suggestion on the time it takes for an Aqueon to get a good colony going of BB?

Below are some pictures of the new tank and stand one with out water and one with water.

I am thinking about setting this tank up as river bed from south america. I want to have live plants.

Any ideas and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Sirex
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What about taking some of the filter media from your old AC and putting it on the new one to give it a jump start?

Google is your friend. Use it!!!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't see a way to add anything to the Aqueon 20 its tight in there. Maybe I could cut the bag open and dump some of the bio media down in the 20?

I have to wait about 2 weeks before the tax check comes to start putting the new tank together. I have the Aqueon 20 runnig in the 20 Gallon with AC 50 now.

How is your new tank going C. LEO?

Below picture of new tank with lights at night after cleaning.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I put a bag of bio media in the tank by the intake of the AC filter it has 2 bags in it now.

I have decided on a black background for the new tank I think I will order it from here:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/10497/product.web

Any body ever dealt with this place?

The PH in my water is high right out of the tap. I have read that Mopani wood will lower the PH. My question is how much?

Also does anyone know a good reputable place to buy this wood at a decent price.

I plan on doing a rock and sand bottom with the wood and lots of plants. I have heard limestone will raise PH so I plan on using round river rock. I want the tank to look like the side of a creek bed.

Hopefully in the next week or so I will be able to go shopping and start this new tank.
    Last edited by Sirex; 02-14-2011 at 03:15 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    If you want live plants you may want to consider a new light fixture or limit your plant choices to ferns, anubias, and moss as with standard tank lighting that is all that will do alright.

Any driftwood can lower your pH. Sometimes tap pH may lower after sitting for a day or so...re-check the pH in a few days and see if it is lower. Depending on what it is, what you should stock. Many SA fish are generations of tankbred so they are tollerant of a slightly higher pH than their wild cousins.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I like all of those plants and I really don't want to invest in CO2 and expensivie lighting.

The anubias grows on rocks and logs right?

What is an SA fish?

Thanks

0 Not allowed!
    You got a very good deal for $80. SA=South American.

Default great deal

0 Not allowed!
    This is just the type of deal I am looking for as well. I also run an Aqueon 20 filter in my current tank, so I am going to try to follow along to see how everything works out for you.

good luck & have fun!
    1 38 gal freshwater
    1 Sailfin Pleco
    3 red eye tetras
    4 harlequin raspboras
    2 mollies
    3 albino corys
    2 ottos
    4 neon tetras
    2 dwarf guramis

0 Not allowed!
    Anubias does grow on rocks or wood, but you can also plant it in the substrate if you leave its rhizome exposed.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    You got a very good deal for $80. SA=South American.

Thanks Lady Hobbs. I have been looking for a bigger tank for over a month right after I bought the 20 gallon. I plan on using the 20 as a staging tank.

I forgot how much I enjoyed an aquarium and with all the new found knowledge I might just get good at it or get dangerous.

I cannot wait to start this baby. Hope the tax man gets here soon with my check.

Quote Originally Posted by MCHRKiller
    Anubias does grow on rocks or wood, but you can also plant it in the substrate if you leave its rhizome exposed.

Thanks MCHRkiller. I saw BHRINO superglued his plants. Do you do this also?