· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your first! - Algenco   You need some fish...hehe - Mith   Happy Holidays - Northernguy   for the awesome posts - mommy1   Thanks - KingFisher   

Default Betta acting weird

0 Not allowed!
    if youve read my other thread about my heater you know the back story. for those of you that didnt see it my heater exploded killing everything in the tank except my betta. the next day he was acting weird, but i figured i would be too if something like that had just happened. the only damage he has is a little burn mark on his back that is healing up nicely. the problem lies that he has next to no appetite, and if just sitting in the upper corner of the tank, and doesnt move. before the accident he was always all over the tank and really active.

should i be concerned that he is acting so lathargic? he is still healthy looking both color and weight wise, and no signs of stress other than hiding the majority of the time in the corner

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thank you for all the advice - Cliff   No Message - Aydreean   Thanks! Here's a shrimp for ya. - Flakes4Bait   Thank you!!! - harpua2002   Merry X-mass, and thanks for the help this past year - Cliff   
    Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - korith   

0 Not allowed!
    Maybe just the stress of the event. Keep the tank stable and just keep an eye on the betta for the next few days see if anything changes. keep watching the part where burn mark is to see if it gets better/worse. Maybe pimafix or melafix would help recovery.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

your first! - Algenco   You need some fish...hehe - Mith   Happy Holidays - Northernguy   for the awesome posts - mommy1   Thanks - KingFisher   

0 Not allowed!
    i actually am using melafix and pimafex in the tank right now, looks like im playing the waiting game now though

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199   Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   Birthday Beer. - gadget228   Sending healing vibes to your Oscar - Silbar   
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino   

0 Not allowed!
    Have you gotten a new heater? Is the tank the same temperature it used to be?
    300 gallon mega tank: sailfin pleco, clown loaches, silver dollars, roseline sharks, congo tetras, new world cichlids
    125 gallon office tank: Africian cichlids, synodontis catfih
    75 gallon community tank: bolivian rams, black skirt tetras, dwarf neon rainbowfish, corys, harlequin rasboras, otos, bristlenose and bulldog plecos, assassin snails, various shrimp
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

First fish for your AC Tank! - Brookfish   Cause my one little fish was lonely - dragoonwoman   Couldn't find any horse gift for you except a seahorse! lol - Blu-ray   Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - dragoonwoman   

Lightbulb Just a thought

0 Not allowed!
    He may be suffering from the electricity that leaked into the water when the heater blew. That's one thing we aquarists are warned about, isn't it? Electricity and water is NOT a good combination.

Just because he has a small mark doesn't mean he didn't take a good hit when it happened.

I wish I knew what else you can do for him. I sure hope he bounces back!!
    Dragoon Woman
    46 bowfront: Planted, Angelfish, Rasboras, Cories, Tetras, Otos
    25g: Planted, cherry shrimp, otos
    5g: Planted, Betta
    4g: Planted, betta
    5 horses, 7 cats, all rescued animals

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    yea bhrino i got a new heater in the tank within about an hour of the old one exploding. in that time the temp only dropped 2 degrees and its at the exact temp as it was before the heater went out.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed a golfish :) - Xavier   Here's a Betta that will stay healthy - gabbyguppy   thanks for the betta :D - Cyberra   Expert Elodea Growth Guesser! - Brhino   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - lotus flower   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - lotus flower   Gay and Lesbian Pride - lotus flower   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - lotus flower   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - lotus flower   

0 Not allowed!
    It's likely not temperature shock--my betta's tank dropped about 4 degrees once, and within an hour of putting the heater in, she was much better and acting normal.

He could be depressed from losing all that activity in the tank--most animal are creatures of habit.

He could also, as previously stated, just be under the weather from the burn. It may look small to us, but percentage-wise, that's a big portion of his body! Plus, I cannot even begin to imagine what the electricity must've done. Or the impact and stress of having that heater explode--he must've been scared witless! Swimming around the tank in a panic for half an hour, probably! :-( Poor little guy!

I'd be depressed, too, were I he...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    update to the situation. he is still just hanging out in the corner. his back is completely healed up (externally anyways). he has a decent appetite, but no where near it was before the whole incident. im going to be moving him to a 36gal bowfront within the next month or so. not planning on putting anything in with him, the bowfront is going to be mostly a planted tank and am going to try some shrimp with him.

hopefully the change of environment will change his behavior.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You needed a golfish :) - Xavier   Here's a Betta that will stay healthy - gabbyguppy   thanks for the betta :D - Cyberra   Expert Elodea Growth Guesser! - Brhino   
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - lotus flower   Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - lotus flower   Gay and Lesbian Pride - lotus flower   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - lotus flower   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - lotus flower   

0 Not allowed!
    Did you lose your plants when the heater burst?

Maybe he lost his favorite plants and those were what made him feel comfortable. A security blanket...

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    didnt lose the plants but im hoping a big home with plants and sticks for him to swim around will make him more active