Results 1 to 10 of 24
02-05-2011, 04:48 PM #1
UltraLife blue-green algae remover
Does anybody have experience with using UltraLife blue-green algae remover (http://www.ultralifedirect.com/HTML/..._remover.htm)?
If it really is a more gentle approach, I would prefer using it, before I reach for antibiotics (erythromycin).
I'd like to hear about how effective it is, and if O2 levels and pH get affected drastically.
02-05-2011, 04:54 PM #2
Proper water keeping will remove any form of algae and is really the only safe way to do it.Consistent water changes,proper feeding techniques and a properly stocked tank are the best algae remover there is.
02-05-2011, 08:16 PM #3
The MSDS says it contains
Non-Hazardous mixture of organic ingredients
If you use it and it works, please post details such as dose, length of time it took, how much residue might have been left, etc.
If it doesn't work, take it back to the store and demand your money back as it is advertised and sold as a remover.
02-05-2011, 11:13 PM #4Member Oscar
- Join Date
- Nov 2008
It wiped out my infestation virtually overnight. I had been fighting it for weeks. After a single dose, it never came back. Just be ready to clean the gunk out or you'll have some serious water quality problems. My Otos seemed to devour the dead stuff so i really didnt have to do anythiing else.
On other forums there is some debate on if it really does contain erthrimycin. UltraLife has never disclosed its ingredients.
02-05-2011, 11:22 PM #5
I think you should never use chemicals unless it's some type of medication
It causes undesirable after effects
Snail chemicals to kill snail infestation
Kills the snails, but their rotting bodies cause an ammonia spike.
There are plenty of ways do get rid of algae without chemicals.
02-05-2011, 11:25 PM #6
I totally agree with you Fisharefriends27. It may take a little bit of work to get rid of Algae, but you should figure out why you had the spike, fix it, and then not have to worry about it...
Google is your friend. Use it!!!
02-15-2011, 10:11 PM #7
0Originally Posted by dmagerl
If the product contains an added antibiotic and they don't list it, that could cost them a large fine. Since they list organic ingredients, I suppose they might use what ever fungus produces the desired end product.
02-15-2011, 11:24 PM #8Member Oscar
- Join Date
- Nov 2008
When I used it, it seemd to be slightly fizzy and acted a lot like sodium percarbonate, a strong oxidizer like hydrogen peroxide. It made me wonder if h2o2 would have worked too.
The dead algae became a brown gooey mess. So if you're still seeing green patches, it's not yet dead and I would be thinking of doing another dose, but if its not growing you can probably wait a few days to do it.
I dosed my tank in 2 half doses spaced several hours apart simply because I had read that cories are sensitive to it. I then repeated a few days later. I never did notice any bad affects to the fish or plants.
Once dead, it never returned for me.
It is expensive though. For $15 you get this teeny little bottle.