· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default odd algae problem

0 Not allowed!
    it's only in my filters. on't have it growing anywhere else just clogging up my filters. i'm running different brands with different setups for filtration both 20gallon filters on one 20gallon tall tank. they are clogging so fast that i'm having to take them completely apart, including removing the motor parts all together, and scrubbing them once a week. at the point i do this, they are barely running a trickle.

one is aquaclear the other aquaeon.

anyone got any suggestions to atleast let me get 2 weeks out of them? a month would be even cooler.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    bump for maybe some answers

0 Not allowed!
    What media are you running in your filters? Sounds like something is leaching Phosphate inside them, thus the algae. By the way, what color is the algae? When I know what media you are using and when it was last replaced, I can advise you on what to do about it.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    the only things in the filter are the bags the carbon is in, and the carbon in the aquoen, the other has carbon, foam sponge, and the white rock things that i can't think what they are called agian.

algea is a brown/green. and long. not short.

0 Not allowed!
    Ah, the white rock things are your problem. They are designed to remove Ammonia generated by fishes, but when old can leach nutrients that are feeding the algae. And that's Black Brush algae in your filters.

Remove those white rocks and do not replace them. The natural Nitrifying bacteria in your filters and hard surfaces in your tank have been doing the job of reducing Ammonia to Nitrite to Nitrate, the latter you dilute with weekly partial water changes.

Make very sure you use used aquarium water to clean your filters. May take a week or two, but eventually the spores from that algae will be eliminated, and you shouldn't have to deal with algae in your filters again.

Dave

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ok that would cover the aquaclear filter, but it's also in the one without it, and i've had that first. and it's always been doing that.

0 Not allowed!
    Well, that black brush algae also occurs in areas of low flow, so that is puzzling. Had to dig out one of my old aqua clear filters to refresh my memory of them, and I wondered when was the last time you replaced the media container?

Black Brush is actually a red algae, meaning different nutrients key its growth than green algae. Describe your tank to me, including size, numbers and kinds of fishes, lighting, and decoration. Something in your tank is activating the spores of that red algae, since there's no other reason that I can think of that algae returns even after you clean the filters.

The algae spores are in the air we breath, so it's in most all aquariums. Just needs an alkaline pH, the light that comes with the tank, and a nutrient imbalance to grow.

Dave

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    20gallon, no lights, 2 silk plants, 1 betta male 1 cory, and feeder guppies. there is a ghost shrimp too, maybe. if my beta hasn't found him yet. gravel,

just installed an undergravel filter, used with air pump. (got a uv sterilizer in the mail.)

the media gets replaced according the the box. and aqueon one gets once a month, (with me cleaning it each week) and the aquaclear gets the foam replaced every 2 months and the carbon every month. i've only replaced the white rocks once and that's because i couldn't get them clean. as the box said you don't really need to replace them.

i've had the aqueon one for like whole time. so about 6 months. the aquaclear i've only had for 3 months.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Smile

0 Not allowed!
    Some charcoal or as some call it, carbon, can have phosphates (esp. lower cost brands) and this extreme algae food will continue leaving the charcoal for a long time since charcoal can hold a lot of it. Also, charcoal has limited uses (yes, it is used to remove meds and any organics that could be harmful) but for most people, is of little use. By the way, your water from the tap could have phosphates (and ammonia) and these can help feed algae when you make water changes. Also, you said you clean your filter - don't change the bio-media or that will cause growth. Also, under gravel filters can cause a lot of organics to be stored in the gravel/sand and this can release a lot of nitrates that will feed algae or other growing stuff.

Rather than using charcoal in the filter, add more bio-media and your issues may go away. In any case, using charcoal isn't a good filter option for bio action. My two cents.
    Last edited by Cermet; 04-16-2012 at 10:44 PM.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i don't replace it each time i clean it. i said i clean it between replacing it. like rinsing out the things. and scrubbing off the algea. :/

the under gravel filter is new and is hoping to let me get more life out of my filters with something new. it's actually made the tank way clearer already.

my understanding is all filters use carbon to help get rid of odor and smell from the tank water. and i like not having a smelly tank.