· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

Default Internet Providers

0 Not allowed!
    I'm very excited about a new Hub I just ordered. Tho I am very disappointed in internet providers still and again.
    Why do they have unlimited internet for cellphones, who will never use them, but limited plans for tablets and laptops?
    And the plans...they never seem to quite fit your need so you always have to pay more to get more than you really need, but its what you have to get in order to get what you want...one of my pet peeves...

Anyway, it seems that it is cheaper to buy an internet Hub than have my cellplan increased to have more bandwidth. It is odd that its cheaper and better coverage with another provider than my current cell phone, but thats a tech issue I don't really know anything about. I realise there are different technologies, but honestly, shouldn't everyone have equal connectivity in a given area regardless of who you are with?

End rant...what I came on to say is -

yay! I will be upgrading my internet with a wireless Hub (from Rogers) to 6Gbs, so I will finally be able to check out some of the videos you guys post on here. If it works out well, I will be downgrading my cellphone plan to minimum (I currently have 3GB per month and use the phone as a hotspot for my desktop and laptop) data plan for mobile access only. Best part is, it should work out to the same price I am paying now, but with better speeds (Rogers says I will get LTE out here, we will see - as compared to my 4G 3 bars I get with Telus) and its still portable - just plug into the wall.

My tv couldn't see my hotspot so I couldn't get netflix, now I should be able to...when I left the house with my phone, that meant any guests (my parents) would be without phone or internet service while I was gone. My parents do not have cellphones of their own since they retired, and I don't have a landline phone. Now at least they will be able to use the net while I am gone.

I have high hopes for this new service and am excited about more bandwidth...no more watching every click, and checking in on my usage...and not paying any more than I was. Downside is - I have to wait til middle of next week for it to be sent to me, sigh.

I'm curious - what all does everyone else have (especially those in remote/rural areas) as their main internet provider? Type and carrier?

I remember Rue had a thread about internet a while back...how did that turn out for you Rue?
    20gal long planted community

0 Not allowed!
    I have a good friend that lives 20 minutes outside the city and he has Sasktel (AKA Bell) satellite Internet and cable. He likes it a lot. There are some weather related interruptions, but he clams that is minimal
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    yah, Explornet was an option here for satellite, but while no one that I know who has it complains about it, they don't recommend it either.

*rubbing my hands waiting for 6GBs/month to arrive!* Tracking shows it to be in Mississauga, so I may get here by Monday, probably Tuesday.

I checked my current usage yesterday, I am over my monthly 3GB quota again, and my reset doesn't occur til Wednesday.

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    I live 15 minutes from the edge of the city (new development)...and we just have on-going issues with our internet. I was in battle mode for a while...now I've withdrawn into suck-it-up mode.

We have a MiFi unit...but are scared to use it...because we can't tell when we've used up our 'unlimited date' and then we're hit with over usage charges (which have been considerable in total...despite our paranoia). Now we have a $50 overuse auto-shutoff. However, if that happens...and I need the computer from work (which I certainly do some days)...I'm in trouble. I won't be able to work from home.

Our cellphones work...but not great...however, my newest phone (got it in July), Galaxy Note 3, has the best reception...so the improved technology in the gadgets is making up somewhat for the poorer infrastructure issues...

I think, if they were to build a new tower in the new developments at the edge of the city...we'd be fine.

What irks me to no end...is how the companies keep directing their advertising at the city folk, who already have great reception...to buy 'improved' packages...and ignore the rest of us who can't even get basic reception...and who keep getting dinged with overuse fees...

I pay $40 per month for the unlimited wireless high-speed service in our city rental. I pay $90 (basic fee) to $140 (with the current overuse cap) for our MiFi for worse service here on the farm...

AND...I am NOT the only one. I've ranted (and bonded) with numerous folk from neighbouring acreages and from some of the satellite small towns...
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    15 minutes? and still sucky service. Terrible, considering you're paying premium rates.
    Oh well, eventually, as the area becomes built up and enough complaints come in, someone will eventually build a tower in your area.

I hate hearing the Fibre Op commercials on the radio too...keep advertising super high speeds, and like you say, I can't even get highspeed on a landline out here, let alone Fibre Op.

But I try not to bitch about it all That much, cuz that is one of the prices you pay for ideal rural living.

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    ...indeed!

I see I need to go yell at the skunk again. He thinks he can overwinter here...I say no to that...

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Is that all you do is yell? I have a chirper thing that makes an awful noise to try and convince the porcupine that he really doesn't want to spend the winter under the shed after all...
    Only thing is, the noise make ME think I don't want to spend the winter here either!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    LOL...

I don't know if yelling will work...but I figure between me yelling and the dogs barking (safely from their fenced yard) he may opt for a more welcoming neighbourhood...

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    I tried yelled and threw gravel at the porcupine once...thought that would dissuade him...but "the cat came back..."

good luck trying to evict him.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Internet companies can be a pain. Here, we're quite far behind in terms of the tech and speed.

A premium line here is around 8Mbps and that costs a small fortune.

And to have mobile data is so ridiculously expensive here! The companies have been fighting with each other lately to drop prices (gotta love competition) but it's still cost-prohibitive for the most part.

I run off of 150mb of mobile data and thankfully I often have access to the various wireless networks at university or at home.

I know a lot of people try to use only mobile data and that is around R100 per Gb ($10 roughly) and that is assuming that you will get decent signal. Often you won't. Sitting at home I have Edge most of the time and might, sometimes get 3G. Hence I use the wifi.

Thankfully they are trying to improve things but it has been taking many years.
    Learning as I go... and thanking everyone on this forum for their help, advice and patience!