· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
  1. Default Ticklemekevin's 90 Gal Project

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys! Ive been wanting to start this journal for awhile but just havnt had the time. I havnt been in the hobby for very long now but since my girlfriend bought her daughter a 10 gal starter tank ive been hooked. Since then i have upgraded to a 30 gal community tank....

And now im ready to upgrade again. I had been browsing for awhile on CL for something bigger. We dont really have the room right now because my girl and her daughter and I just moved into my mom house and she is in the process of moving out but she is taking FOREVER because she is a packarat! Anyways, I ran into this 90 gal, oak stand and canopy that i couldnt pass up so i got it for only $80!

I realize the canopy is on backwords. I took the photo from the CL ad because i forgot to take a picture before i stained it.

Ive had the tank for a few weeks now and have started all kinds of plans mostly in my head. However i did decide i wanted to either paint it or stain it because the oak color doesnt really match the rest of my furniture. So far I did a couple coats of minwax ebony but it wasnt coming out as dark as i wanted. so then i did a coat of Gel stain (cant think of the color off the top of my head) and it got a little darker. I still want to do another coat and then have to do a coat of poly. The weather has put a damper on that and cant do it in my garage or basement because they are full. Here is an unfinished picture of the stand>>>

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That looks like its going to be a beautiful stand and tank!!! I love the mural on the wall too LOL!! ;)

Google is your friend. Use it!!!

0 Not allowed!
    Great deal on the tank.

I like how your stand is turning out. I think it looks 10X better than it did before.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    awesome deal im jealous, i would love to find a good deal on a canopy

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Some canopys are expensive. I just ordered a stand and canopy for a 120 high I'm getting and it wasn't cheap$$$$

Good Luck!
    120 gallon29 gallon
    5.5 and 2.5 gallon
    The harley man......no not the motorcycle, harlequin rasboras
    Angie R.I.P. 10/29/11

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    About a week ago i found another good deal on CL. I was about to buy a fixture on ebay and im glad i didnt because I found one on CL for $40. Its a 48" Current 4xT5HO. Its got a built in fan and a vent on the other side. I has 4 built in LEDs and 3 LEDs the guy had added himself. The weird thing was the cords to both LED setups were both cut. So today, Thanks to Brhino I got the idea to use old cell phone chargers and spliced them together. so now i have seven working LEDs. I am kind of disapointed because the 4 built in were white LED and not blue. The 3 the guy added to the fixture were blue though.

I was wondering if there is a blue film, cover, paint, or something else i could used to make them blue, without changing them out???

Yesterday i found yet another addition on non other than CL!

Still not knowing if the Canister is gonna work and plus i wanted a second filter even if the canister does work. I found 2 marineland filters. 350 and 200 series both for $50. Both are in good condition and working. I already have a penguin 200 and love it so now i have 3 haha

I also bought a large piece of driftwood on ebay today! Im super excited to see it in person. I think its supposed to take about a week.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CassieLEO
    That looks like its going to be a beautiful stand and tank!!! I love the mural on the wall too LOL!! ;)
    Thank You Cassie! Ya that was all me! im quite the arteest, right?! i kid i kid thats the 3 year old's artwork! She gets to enjoy the tank most!

Thank you everyone else too! i agree i think it looks much better.

and ya i told you i couldnt let this tank go to someone else! haha

Id like to get as much input as possible cause im still new to this so thank you guys

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    anyone notice the pup hidden in the stand photo? haha

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thats gonna look awesome, will be watching this thread to see it develop
    Lots of tanks
    Camera - Sony A33 - Sony A58
    18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM lens
    55-200mm F4-5.6 SAM lens

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ticklemekevin10
    I was wondering if there is a blue film, cover, paint, or something else i could used to make them blue, without changing them out???
    If you’re going to set-up the tank as a fresh water tank, I would not recommend tinting the light blue. FW algae loves lighting that is closer to the blue-r spectrum. Combined that with 216 watts of T5 lighting and you might get more algae than normal.

Just a concern
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]