· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default want to set up quarantine tank

0 Not allowed!
    I'm looking to get a 10gal tank for quarantine/sick fish tx purposes but I would like to do it as cheaply as possible. I've read you can set up the tank temporarily until the fish are added to the main tank/fish have been treated but then how easy is it to set it up each time I get new fish? Can anyone recommend an inexpensive filter/heater, etc? I found a 10gal kit at Petco but I'm wondering if it's cheaper to get basic things separately. What the things I absolutely need?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Much cheaper to find stuff on craigslist. A lot of people give away whole setups for cheap. I just got a 55 gallon setup for 100.00!

Google is your friend. Use it!!!

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    i agree with cassie u can prolly get an entire set up tank, heater cover filter decor. and w e people have for like 10$ if u look hard enough
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I got my 10g hospital tank on kijiji...the guy gave me the filter, air pump heater & a ton of decorations & stuff for $40...however
    the heater was old & couldn't maintain the heat very well (especially if the room is already on the cold side)
    & the filter (aquaclear) is great but i can tell its getting old & i'll have to replace soon..but
    what i have realized (i set up my hospital tank this week) is that if u have fish that will get big it might be better to get a slightly larger tank, i've realized that i will need a bigger one within the yr.

I've looked this week & i would suggest if u can find a kit that has the tank,lid,filter,heater(if u need it) its cheaper than buying seperatley - unless u find an awesome deal online!

I realized after I bought all the fresh filter media i needed i could have gotten an entire new filter with all the media included for $10 more!

in my opinion try to find something online, think of how big ur fish will get & about storage when the tank is not in use

oh & the filters that have that one little slide in filter media pack - try to get a filter that has seperate because the packs usually have carbon built in that can't be removed

good luck!
    Last edited by jessfish; 01-30-2011 at 01:14 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    I keep a sponge filter running in my main tank all the time. When I need it to quarantine or for breeding, I simply put it in the breeder tank and it's ready for new fish and already cycled.

0 Not allowed!
    (cut & pasted) I keep a sponge filter running in my main tank all the time. When I need it to quarantine or for breeding, I simply put it in the breeder tank and it's ready for new fish and already cycled.

Lady Hobbs - You use a sponge filter in addition to another filter? Then you add tank water to the other tank?

Thanks everyone for the suggestion to go on Craigslist - I love finding bargains for these things. I was asking because I didn't know whether I needed to get fake plants or other decorations or not - those can be expensive too.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Lady Hobbs is a genius!

Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Hobbs
    I keep a sponge filter running in my main tank all the time. When I need it to quarantine or for breeding, I simply put it in the breeder tank and it's ready for new fish and already cycled.
    +1 This is what I do also.
    You use a sponge filter in addition to another filter? Then you add tank water to the other tank?
    I do, The sponge filter has a colony of BB on it from where it lives. When you move it, The sponge takes the entire colony with it to the new tank.

If its for ER purposes I would use new de-chlorinated water and not the tank water.
    For quarantine Exactly:

When you need the QT tank you simply fill it w dechlor water, Make sure its temp is good, And add sponge filter and you have an instant QT/ER tank.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yup I have a large sponge filter attached to an airpump in my big tank. Besides being a good QT filter, it's good backup air and filtration for the main tank. I just hide it behind my rocks, can't see it that easily =p
    30g goldie tank :1 x Red Cap Oranda 1x Fantail
    -AC50

50G Cichlid tank(Work in progress)
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/cichlid-tank
    -Rena xP3 Canister filter
    -Aquaclear 110 HoB

0 Not allowed!
    I currently have a cannister filter (Fluval 305) - can I get any brand of sponge filter? How long do I run this additional filter before I can use it for the quarantine tank? And I guess I just get a heater appropriate for a 10gal tank - do I need to get decorations or something for fish to hide in or not bother? I know gravel isn't needed.