· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why are tank bred more expensive than wild?

0 Not allowed!
    Hey everybody,

Just curious but why would the tank bred species be more expensive than the wild species?

I'm looking at cardinal fish (bangaii to be specific) and I know their overfished so I'm looking for tank bred ones and they're an extra 10 bucks... I know it isn't a lot and I'm not saying it's gonna stop me from getting tank bred lol but I'm just curious why that is?
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

0 Not allowed!
    I think for most fish it's due to the time it take to breed and raise the fry. I think for most SW fish that takes a lot longer FW fish. More time = more money

Plus from what I've heard, Bangaii are starting to be a endangered fish so supply and demand is not in our favour.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Yea that's what I'm saying, since they're endangered wouldn't the price for the wild ones sky rocket? Or does business just not care?

Also I do understand the part about the availably, I guess there's a ton of people who can catch them and not really a lot who can breed them and raise them successfully
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Tank bred fish are more expensive because more effort goes into getting them to the retailer. Reproducing saltwater fish isn't easy to start with and many species grow fairly slowly.

Wild fish are cheaper mainly because of the relative ease of catching them and the low wages/prices offered to the fishermen. Even if the fish are getting rarer in many cases, locals know where to get the ones that are left. Also, if there are fewer, the locals get paid more, so it's that much more incentive to get those that are left.

Be wary of cheap fish though. If it looks too good to be true, it's a good bet that it's been caught with cyanide, a practice you most definatly don't want to encourage.
    My AC Fish Gallery:
    Another gallery with my fish

21 Gallon - 3 Ornate Tetras, 7 Pencilfish, 1 Oto cat, 7 Amano shrimp, 1 Peckoltia brevis, 1 clown pleco
    15 Gallon - 1 clown pleco, 6 threadfin rainbows
    10 Gallon - 7 Galaxy Rasboras, 4 Betta rutilans, Cherry shrimp, 1 Hillstream Loach
    65 Gallon - Cycling!

0 Not allowed!
    I agree. By the time these rainbowfish fry grow up large enough to sell, I'm going to want $100 each! Gawd but they are small! LOL I am so not wanting to mess around with these things for 4-5 months.

0 Not allowed!
    It's a combo of time, effort, and expense. Raising captive bred marine fish take all 3 of these things in abundance. Most marine fish go through a planktonic larval stage, making them very difficult to feed for the first few weeks, and they need large amounts of cultured foods. As they increase is size they need food that increases is size as well. Since all these foods have to be cultured, you pretty much have to have them ready to go when the parents spawn. That being the case, you need to keep the food alive and the cultures going. You then need clean water for water changes.
    A friend of mind had his Maroon Clowns breed, and he decided to raise the fry. In addition to the tank he had for the parents and fry, he had an additional 7-8 10gal tanks going just for live cultures.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

0 Not allowed!
    Yea it's starting to make sense now, that the money in breeding and raising SW fish just isn't there since it takes so much time... would be a good business to get into though if you could do it with success and just have staggered groups so it wasn't like you'd be waiting months between batches...

However I do understand that the difficulty, morality rate, and just the overall time it takes would make this very unappealing to people... its a shame though :/

0 Not allowed!
    Look up how yellow tangs reproduce

I read a long article once on a study that was completed on how yellow tangs reporduce. I didn't understand it well enough to explain it here, but I do remember when they added up the costs for the study, they would have needed to sell the fish for around $400.00 to break even. A little over inflated as this was a study, but it would be really expensive as compaired to catching them in the ocean.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Well I mean I think that cost could be vastly reduced, if you did things in huge quantity and had the lowest mortality rate possible, granted it'd be very difficult and I'm not saying there's a ton of money in this but I think it'd be kinda cool to do, I mean tanks and tanks full of breeding SW fish would be a pretty cool sight haha

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    Look up how yellow tangs reproduce

I read a long article once on a study that was completed on how yellow tangs reporduce. I didn't understand it well enough to explain it here, but I do remember when they added up the costs for the study, they would have needed to sell the fish for around $400.00 to break even. A little over inflated as this was a study, but it would be really expensive as compaired to catching them in the ocean.

The cost of the Tank alone would drive the price of the fish through the rook. lol
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast