· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Stocking list for new tank

0 Not allowed!
    i just got a 55. any suggestions on types of fish i should get, i was thinking it would be cool to have a snowflake eel.

0 Not allowed!
    I looked into these guys when planning my SW tank. I think a 55 might be a little too small as they can get as large as 36". Hopfully someone who has actually kept one can offer some first hand experiance.

Is this going to be a reef tank or FOWLR tank?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    its going to be a FOWLR

0 Not allowed!
    Cliff is right, snowflake morays do get pretty large in the aquarium, and as messy eaters, they can become a problem over time. They'll also eat any fish that gets too close to one.

You'd be limited in stock because at your tank size, you'd have real problems maintaining water quality with numerous or larger fishes. I'd restrict your choices to fishes that grow to max five inches, so you can have more than one.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i got about a twelve gallon sump, does that change anything

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, more water volume in a marine system is always a good thing. Build a plenum in that sump to keep nitrate from getting out of hand.

Dave
    When a finger points to the moon, the imbecile looks at the finger.

Omnia mutantur nihil interit.

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    are there any good hardy fish that would work

0 Not allowed!
    Look up pics of clowns, chromis, and dwarf angles. All three will work in a 55 giving you options to have more than one type of fish. There are many different types of clown fish that look very different from the common white and orange ones.

I know there are more fish than that which could work in a 55, I'm just not too farmilar with them
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I've been looking for possible stocking options for my own 55, clowns are pretty hardy starters, and you have the option of firefish, cardinals, a couple dwarf angels (only 2 or so I think)

You really do have a lot of different options but they will all be smaller, so no tangs or anything like that unfortunately.

If you go to liveaquaria.com and go to their marine fish section they have a tool where you can separate the fish by the minimum sized tank they can inhabit which is a pretty cool feature so you can mess around on that site and see what your options are
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

0 Not allowed!
    The problem with liveaquaria.com is that their minimum tank sizes are frequently off. The Pocket Expert Guides published by TFH publishing are usually pretty good with tank size recommendations, but even they can be a bit smaller than many hobbyists will recommend.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast