· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default *sigh* bad day in the O world

0 Not allowed!
    As some know my new "bumblebee oscars" had turned out to be quite aggressive and incompatible and within a few hours away from the tank one had beaten the other to the point I had to euth it. The remaining one now seems to be falling ill. Water parms in the tank are awesome; 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate...none of my planted tanks have nitrate so that isnt unusual. The fish had a voracious appetite trying to eat even my hand, it had also grown from abit over 3" in Dec. to over 5" as of recently.

It was the picture of health...and now for no reason it has refused to eat for days and sulks near the top of the tank(2-3" down) and doesnt move alot. Its breathing is normal, fins are not clamped, no torn fins or anything such as that. The fish has no white feces. The other fish in the tank are the picture of health. Outside of not eating it seems the top layer of "skin" on its face is peeling off, somewhat like a sunburn which is starting to peel. Otherwise...no physical symptoms. I have never witnessed anything as strange as this, especially with no decline in water quality. It was literally an overnight change from an active constantly hungry fish, to the top of the tank no eating thing. I wrote it off as constipation for awhile until the face started to do the sunburn peel thing. Any ideas?
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    Battle damage that's just showing up now? If it's a mystery to you...well I don't have a clue. But I'm sorry to hear about it.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    Doubtful, Id expect some torn fins or something...plus Ive not noticed any aggression from the other fish. The female Sev. does assert herself as the dominant fish in the tank but she never injures the others just chases them from her spot. At any rate I am starting a regimine of 20% waterchanges every other day and Im half dosing some Aquari-Sol just incase.
    Last edited by MCHRKiller; 01-27-2011 at 12:41 AM.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    Weird, you have any pics? Hope you can figure out what's going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by i_am_511
    Lighten up its just the internet its not like someone came in your house and punched a baby in the face.

0 Not allowed!
    Ill get a pic tomorrow, tank lights are off for the night. I have never seen anything like this. It could possibly be an incredibly early/weird form of HITH as the peeling is only on the head area...combined with the lack of eating. However HITH doesnt really show up with good water levels and a decent diet. Although perhaps there is some stray voltage in the tank or something...I have a ton of equipment on there so I suppose that is possible.

4x75Gs coming soon

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    possible ph swing? ...quite odd to happen so sudden. maybe water chem between supplier and your tank were opposites? that may account for 'skin peeling' or a sunburn effect I would think.
    Last edited by Crispy; 01-27-2011 at 02:39 AM.
    Thar she blows!!!

0 Not allowed!
    Nope, pH is a constant 6.8. Fish was maintained at 7.0 at Rapps facility. I think tomorrow I am going to pick up some Clout medication and dose the tank...as all fish are exposed to whatever this is. I have done some research and it seems that the very early stages of Hexamita sometimes show up as a sunburn peeling effect, I treated them in QT with PraziPro but that doesnt do anything against Hexamita since it is a wild Oscar I am betting this is what it is. If it is Hex. it was only a matter of time before it reared its head...better to treat it now than deal with it later.

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    Fish looks better today, I sat up a 20G QT tank for him...the weirdness on his face is much better looking...it isnt peeling. I havent tried to feed him since yesterday, I will try bloodworms tomorrow. I could not find any Clout in my area, Petsmart was out. I am keeping up with the AquariSol and waterchanges, see how things go. He now has visible white striated marks along the head...pretty classic beginning stages of hexamita from what i have found. No large crators or pitting so it seems I have caught it in time. Still no idea what could have brought this on other that the fish just harboring the parasite and it randomly taking hold. Fingers crossed he pulls through

4x75Gs coming soon

Awards Showcase

Your first gift on AC, Welcome to the forum! - Brookfish welcome - Algenco Welcome to AC - Celtic Fins Congrats on your awards! - Brookfish Congratulations on your award. - Celtic Fins 
    You need one of these too. - Celtic Fins everyones given you one but me! - mommy1 Thanks for Playing Mafia - The Red Severum Congratulations on your award - Celtic Fins congrats on your award! - Brookfish 
    Congrats on your pic award - Celtic Fins Sorry about Blackie and the others mate! - fraggle the algae was meant to be tissues! - fraggle sorry about your fishies - lucyinthesky Ta for the rep! - Wetpets 
    BEST MAFIA PLAYER MAFIA 3.14 - Kaz Christmas in July!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Gayle Congrats on  POTM - Celtic Fins Congrats! - Wild Turkey Congrats on POTM! - Brookfish 
    Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - rich311k Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rich311k World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - rich311k 

0 Not allowed!
    Good luck with him. I hope he continues to improve.

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    I wish you the best of luck and know the fish are in the best care possible with you.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's