· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default 2 Male Bettas with divider....

0 Not allowed!
    Hi-
    I have a couple of questions and am hoping someone will be able to assist me. I have a small tank, 2 1/2 gallons, which has a divider. I originally had one male Betta, and today I set up the divider and added a second male Betta. It has only been a couple of hours, but all they have done is swim around one corner of it making threats at each other through the divider, puffing up etc. I know that males do not get along, and I sort of expected this behavior when they "happened" to be near the divider. I did not expect the obsessive behavior of staying near the divider without giving up.
    So my questions are the following. Is it likely that this behavior will diminish and they will go about their lives, as they dont seem particularly happy now? And second, is this behavior for extended periods of time too stressful or harmful to them?
    I like to be able to use this tank with the divider as I can see them both, however I do not want to harm my fish.
    Looking forward to receiving some advice.

Anna

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think the constant flaring will hurt the Betta as long as you keep good water quality and your fish well (not over) fed.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

kickme and knock some sense into me, yeah right.lol - rollie   Ok, well here goes nothing *kicks sense into rollie*   :P - Drumachine09   for being a good freind with help and advice along with RAK - DemonShark   

0 Not allowed!
    they will flar, at each others most of the time!!
    let the bells rings and the horns blow, for i am back.lol

http://www.freewebs.com/rolliefish

check it out if you want to.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    100 gallon
    75 gallon
    50 some set up, now.
    over 50 13 1/2 gallon tanks

in all have over 200 tanks

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you for your advice!
    I have found a "happy medium" by positioning plants along the partition, allowing some view but not constant view of each other. Now they flare up at each other when they swim by the same spot at the same time, or get a glimpse of each other through the plants, but at least by obstructing their view a little they do swim around and don't obsess about each other. They seem happy.

WILLIAM: Regarding feeding, or overfeeding, I have read on some foods that they should eat a few times a day, others say once a day, while yet others say once a week! I have been feeding them 3 times a day a few freeze dried or frozen bloodworms each. They do not like TetraMin Flakes or any type of pellets. Is this an acceptable diet and is this enough or too much food?
    Thanks!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Please accept this as a token of my appreciation - crackatinny   Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Have one on Hobbs - hobbs   Cookie for Joseph from Hobbs - hobbs   another beer sir? - hobbs   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - NorthernBoy   

0 Not allowed!
    Kalima as far as the betta behavior I have read somewhere(i'm looking for the article for you) that said that most fish have a very short memory. So...swim for a second...see other betta..puff...swim..see other betta...etc. I wouldn't worry about the fish unless you notice them becomming 'physically' harmed. i.e. high stress leads to disease. As william said water quality is key. Maybe try taking out the divider and sanding it with some really fine material to artificially frost the glass or plasic possibly in your cas with such a small tank. This may help with plants to help "seperate" the tanks. As for feeding. Try feeding insect larve. Mosquito larve is great for bettas as the are engineered to eat mostly meat. Don't let someone talk you into buying a peace lily either as bettas will eat vegetables but it is neither healthy long term or part of their natural habitat. Remember the are from rice paddy's in places like vietnam. Another thing I found helpful with my betta was no added oxygen. They are used to minimal oxygen levels and their little mouths are upturned to gather oxygen(and food) from the surface. Hope this helps some and sorry so long winded.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Please accept this as a token of my appreciation - crackatinny   Merry Christmas - Abbeys_Mom   Have one on Hobbs - hobbs   Cookie for Joseph from Hobbs - hobbs   another beer sir? - hobbs   
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - NorthernBoy   

0 Not allowed!
    I stand corrected about fish memory. Read this link to find out how wrong I am. Hope it is ok William to post this link here. If mot I am sorry.

Article is titled Machiavellian fish and credit goes to;
    'Fish and Fisheries' journal, 2003, 4, 235-246 - Lucy Odling-Smee and Victoria A Braithwaite, University of Edinburgh

http://www.hero.ac.uk/uk/research/ar...n_fish5361.cfm

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's  to getting well! - Rue   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   A cup of coffee to get your day started. - gadget228   For 10K posts, finally - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   
    HIV/AIDS - William   Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - William   

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, it's okey to post the link here. I donšt mind postinf informational links. Its promotional posts I object to.

kalima117: I think that feeding strategy is ok.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I 'trained' my betta. So when I gave him some signal he goes up because it's feeding time. (or at least I though he is 'trained'). So far it's working.

Anyway I feed my betta twice a day. But I read that this is deppending on your betta; the age, the size and his actions (how active is his day). The important thing it's to observe his stomach so it isn't like to blow. (Sorry can't remember where I read it)

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

kickme and knock some sense into me, yeah right.lol - rollie   Ok, well here goes nothing *kicks sense into rollie*   :P - Drumachine09   for being a good freind with help and advice along with RAK - DemonShark   

0 Not allowed!
    sure he don"t have you train.lol
    let the bells rings and the horns blow, for i am back.lol

http://www.freewebs.com/rolliefish

check it out if you want to.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    100 gallon
    75 gallon
    50 some set up, now.
    over 50 13 1/2 gallon tanks

in all have over 200 tanks

Latest gifts & ribbons: