· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Question how small is to small?

0 Not allowed!
    ok so for a art fair for college i have to enter art work and my teacher says aquascapeing is art after showing her my takashi amano book.
    so im going to make nano tanks from plexi glass and plant them and since are art work is for sale i was planing on maken them small so they could be put on desk and low tech now im planing on makeing some semi big ones like 1 gallon and 5 gallon the small ones will jus be strickly plants but the 1g and 5g will have some shrimp and snails
    i no for aquascaping you need 3" of substrate so how small can i go with them?
    ~^~Low~^~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Nice project! I think the limiting factor might be the lighting. You'll need to find out how small a lighting setup you can make that will work to grow plants. Then make the tank so it looks good under it.

Perhaps also finding out some very small plants to give you sense of how small you want to go. No sense in planting a tank where one leaf is going to block out all the light from the other plants.

I would really suggest that you use glass. Plexi has poor clarity and will scratch very, very easily.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    80 Gallon: Native Temperate Reef

5 Gallon Native Temperate Invert tank

20 Gallon Planted: Cherry Barbs, Common Pleco, Floating frog, Fire Bellied Newt

10 Gallon Planted: Apple Snails/Cherry Barb Breeder.... fingers crossed

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the comfort. :) - Mrs.JayMay23   time for new stock? - Lady Hobbs   fishie, fishie in the sea - Lady Hobbs   more fish - Lady Hobbs   smarty-pants! - Brhino   

0 Not allowed!
    Pictures are usually flat. ;-)
    Takashi Amano doesn't take his creations with him on his world tours.
    Also, he doesn't take pictures of the tank with filters, tubes, thermometers, etc.

My suggestion is talking to your adviser about documenting your work in a series of photographs, unless there is a safe from art chemical contamination place to build your final project. Good luck.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    well i wanted to do photos of my tanks but she said to do one better and bring it in and i no he takes them out for photos but with my gallon up tanks i use tall plants to hide the fitlers and stuff (like comba) but for the small ones i want low tech like basicly low light plants that u can sit in your window seal and they thrive with hardly any work needed now i no ull still have to do water changes and maybe add some ferts to it
    ~^~Low~^~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the comfort. :) - Mrs.JayMay23   time for new stock? - Lady Hobbs   fishie, fishie in the sea - Lady Hobbs   more fish - Lady Hobbs   smarty-pants! - Brhino   

0 Not allowed!
    Okee dokee. Since "that's what she said", that's what you need to do.

I still suggest reading Amano's site and process, and backing up your work with start to finish photos. A sculpture or painting stands alone. People are used to that kind of art. A planted tank, no matter how good looking might not strike some as art. I, of course, disagree.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here ya go. - Tigerbarb   A little something for a friend!! - Patriot   Thanks for being there! - NickFish   have a gift - mitcore   :D - harls_aussie   

0 Not allowed!
    That sounds like a very neat project. However, I'm sure more people would reply if you wrote more legibly.
    "Everybody knows, you only live a day, but it's brilliant anyway..."
    Elliott smith

20g nano reef
    55g FOWLR saltwater
    29g planted freshwater
    10g planted freshwater

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    lol ya i no spelling is my weak point i blame it on my school system. i graduated with people who couldent read. mind you my school was maybe 500 students in the middle of no where if you stood on the roof and looked around all you would see is feild and it wasent nothen but a bunch of rednecks lol this is why im in college to get a higher degree and hopefuly get better grammer skills. thank you both for your help
    ~^~Low~^~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    lol! another victim of American public education!

I'm dyslexic, which is almost as bad, so I find the time to proof read before I post. Just an idea.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    80 Gallon: Native Temperate Reef

5 Gallon Native Temperate Invert tank

20 Gallon Planted: Cherry Barbs, Common Pleco, Floating frog, Fire Bellied Newt

10 Gallon Planted: Apple Snails/Cherry Barb Breeder.... fingers crossed

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    ok ya ill try proof read more i guess. but ya its horrible my jr. and sr. year in high school i did a tech school so i went to high school college and a tech school all at the same time just cuz it sounded better then jus my high school. so when i grad from high school i had half a degree in engineering will i ever get the rest of the degree or use what i learned prolly not but it was a heck of a lot better then being stuck with a binch of backward hicks talken about there feilds and tractors all day lol
    ~^~Low~^~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Member of the month, a toast is in order. - Strider199   Sorry about your blood parrot :-( - ~firefly~   For this; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=111325 - Strider199   :-) - ~firefly~   Happy mother's day! Enjoy one on me LOL - imma24   
    Childhood Cancer - hobbs   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - hobbs   Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - Lady Hobbs   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Lady Hobbs   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Lady Hobbs   

0 Not allowed!
    If you post using the you will see a small ABC about the posting box. That will correct errors for you.