· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Breeding Black Convicts

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 2 inch male and 1.5 inch female back convicts in a 30 gallon tank. They just had around 100 to 150 fry. The mom was kicking out the dad everytime he comes near the castle (Where she took possession).
    I thought as long as it is peacful, it is ok.

Things changed before couple of days. The male fearcely attacked the female (while I was watching) and bit her in the mouth. She tried hard to release herself but did not work until interfered and just put my hand in the aquarium to scare him. Since then she disapeared and missed her for 2 days. I though the male killed her inside the castle. I had to shake the castle to find out that she was hiding. He goes in and out from the castle like 10 times a minute. It is like he is still looking for her.

What do you think this behaviour all about? Are they trying to breed again or he just want to kill her. He is still protecting the fry and no one anothing can come near them eventhough I have no ther fish in the aquarium. The whole place was for the mom and dad from the beginning.

I have a splitter, do you think I should split the aquarium and isolate the dad? I love the female and I will really kill the male if he kills her. She is my favorite and she eats from my hand. I hope he is not jealous.

I rally appreciate all kind of information.

0 Not allowed!
    It isnt uncommon behavior for convicts with fry. Sometimes one parent will beome overly protective of the brood and try to kill its mate as they see them as a threat to the fry. You should seperate them, or he will eventually kill her.
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had to split my fry from the parents. I have had a male pink convict for about a year. we got a female a few months ago and already they have bred 3 times but they keep eating the babies. I have 5 left now. my boyfriend said that I should also keep an eye on the male fish because he could kill the female and then start to breed with one of the babies.

I hope your fish are doing well!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnamongrrl
    I had to split my fry from the parents. I have had a male pink convict for about a year. we got a female a few months ago and already they have bred 3 times but they keep eating the babies. I have 5 left now. my boyfriend said that I should also keep an eye on the male fish because he could kill the female and then start to breed with one of the babies.

I hope your fish are doing well!
    i would try a divider with a "love door". which is a opening only she can fit through when she wants to run from him.
    MY FISH WILL EAT YOUR FISH!

0 Not allowed!
    I have to separate my convicts as well. I'm not happy about it, but I have to maintain 2 tanks for this one pair of fish.

I've been told by a reputable breeder that if you add a fish to the tank after the fry hatch, but before he deems her a threat, that they will kill the fish and sometimes that's what it takes to break that cycle.
    125 - big fish - BGK
    125 - cichlid community - cichlids (red severums, chanchitos, bolivian rams, blue acara, chocolate), rainbows (yellow, turquoise, red and boesmani), loaches (angelicus, zebra, kuhli and horseface), plecos (BN, RL and clown), denison barbs, pearl gouramis, golden wonder killis
    90 - african community - Congo tetras, african knife, african butterflies, spotted ctenopoma, palmas bichir, african featherfin
    10 - female pink convict
    5 - betta/ADFs

QTs - 2x29, 20H, 20L