· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just a little somthing to get your gift section started :) - tanks4thememories   Thanks for the supportive post - for your SW tank - Cliff   From another goof - so you don't have to wait as long - Cliff   Aw shucks....   I'm flattered - Cliff   Merry X-mass - Cliff   

Default Breeding Live food?

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so I'm curious if anybody on here has tried these... either in the form of rotifers or brine shrimp... since they seem to be the two popular live foods...

I've been researching how to breed brine shrimp after watching them get devoured by my clowns last night I figure it'd be a good live snack for them and any other live stock which will eventually end up in my tank.

The shrimp aren't expensive, only around a dollar for a small bag but I was just curious if anybody has tried to breed them before and if anybody knows of any pros or cons to the process
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    I tried growing copipods for a while. It just took a really long time. I don't think I had the ideal condition.

Growing foods like these are one of the main functions of a refugium. Try googling around with terms like "refugium invertebrates" or something simular.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    80 Gallon: Native Temperate Reef

5 Gallon Native Temperate Invert tank

20 Gallon Planted: Cherry Barbs, Common Pleco, Floating frog, Fire Bellied Newt

10 Gallon Planted: Apple Snails/Cherry Barb Breeder.... fingers crossed

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Season's Greetings! - Rue   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas! - Anders247   Happy Holidays! - Boundava   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    I've currently reading thought that and reseaching the same topic

You could take a look at the sticky Dave66 wrote in the food sub-forum.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the comfort. :) - Mrs.JayMay23   time for new stock? - Lady Hobbs   fishie, fishie in the sea - Lady Hobbs   more fish - Lady Hobbs   smarty-pants! - Brhino   

0 Not allowed!
    Brine shrimp are a royal pain to learn how to successfully hatch. Everyone messes up a bit the first time or three. After that, it's just a matter of repeating your success. After you work out your particular bugs, it really is as easy as "everyone" says it is.

The slickest container I've seen recently is one of those narrow - bottom dispenser jugs - made for keeping cold water on tap in your fridge. About $3.00 at Walmart. Drill a small hole in the top for an airline.

I'm using a commercial sea salt mix for hatching. I have more success this way, than with canning salt.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Just a little somthing to get your gift section started :) - tanks4thememories   Thanks for the supportive post - for your SW tank - Cliff   From another goof - so you don't have to wait as long - Cliff   Aw shucks....   I'm flattered - Cliff   Merry X-mass - Cliff   

0 Not allowed!
    Canning salt? What's that? lol

and yea I assume it's gonna take some trial and error but I'm ok with that... the thing I'm worried about it any chance of introducing a problem to my fish... dunno I'll have to keep reading and thanks for the direction Cliff I'll definitely check that sticky out
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyhead019
    Canning salt? What's that? lol
    I'm guessing it is what we call "pickling salt" here. Additive free rock salt.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    80 Gallon: Native Temperate Reef

5 Gallon Native Temperate Invert tank

20 Gallon Planted: Cherry Barbs, Common Pleco, Floating frog, Fire Bellied Newt

10 Gallon Planted: Apple Snails/Cherry Barb Breeder.... fingers crossed

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    gotcha gotcha

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the comfort. :) - Mrs.JayMay23   time for new stock? - Lady Hobbs   fishie, fishie in the sea - Lady Hobbs   more fish - Lady Hobbs   smarty-pants! - Brhino   

0 Not allowed!
    If you know anyone who has a water softener and uses Morton 3980-W 50LB XCOR Solar Salt, "borrow" a couple of cups. That's the bags of crystal salt. You'll be set for a long time.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    White, walther, walter, etc. worms are easy too. If you have a better memory for little details like remembering where you put the container and starting new containers, than I do.