· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's a betta for you. - Slaphppy7   For your oscar heimlich rescue :) - BluewaterBoof   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    photo looks great to me. I will look forward to the new build.
    Brian

I wish I had a Fish Wish Dish.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Arghh! I added an emerald crab to my tank and I like him a lot, but I've also just asked my LFS to order macro algae for me. I guess it will be a battle to see if I can grow enough of it to make me and the crab both happy.

Quote Originally Posted by kaybee View Post
    The macro-algae didn't last long as my first clean up crew (specifically the emerald crabs) made short work of it).

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Congrats on your proven pair! - RiversGirl   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - discusluv   Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    Wow, really cool to see how your tank evolved over the years. Thanks for sharing.
    GiVe Me sHrEd TiLL i'M dEaD
    -Kat

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by showmebutterfly View Post
    Arghh! I added an emerald crab to my tank and I like him a lot, but I've also just asked my LFS to order macro algae for me. I guess it will be a battle to see if I can grow enough of it to make me and the crab both happy.
    If I were to put one of my emeralds in my refugium (where I cultivate macro algae), I wouldn't be surprised if it ate all of it within a matter of days. They are voracious. You may want to grow the algae in your QT and just take little bits of it at a time and hand/tweezer-feed your crab instead of giving it unrestricted access.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for a fellow front lover - sailor   All the saltwater help! - squirt_12   Thanks! - squirt_12   For the million fish man - Lady Hobbs   Excellent puffer advice. - Brookfish   

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterBoof View Post
    Im curious about so many things haha Care to provide a rundown of the tank in terms of parameters, maintenance, equipment, etc.? Do you supplement target/broadcast feedings for the corals?
    I provided a detailed rundown of this sump-less set up in posts #24-28 of this journal all on page 3:

Post #24: Lighting and photo-period (since March 2018 I've up'd the daylight/blue spectrum max percentages to 50%/80%)
    Post #25: Filtration
    Post #26: Water parameters/Auto Top Off system
    Post #27: Water properties (temperature/circulation/water changes/salt water prep)
    Post #28: Livestock (fish, clean up crew and corals) and feeding
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

for a fellow front lover - sailor   All the saltwater help! - squirt_12   Thanks! - squirt_12   For the million fish man - Lady Hobbs   Excellent puffer advice. - Brookfish   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by showmebutterfly View Post
    That frogspawn growth is impressive.
    I had no idea at the time that a tiny frag could grow to this size.

Also, the growth pattern was interesting: in addition to creating new heads of frogspawn by one head slowly dividing into to two, the colony also sprouted new polyp heads from the skeletal structure itself, from the stony areas not covered by or in contact with the soft coral tissue.

Older pic from years ago, displaying this type of skeletal budding which still continues with this colony:

frogbuds.jpg

It can't be seen in the photos I've posted thus far, but now it's almost as if there's another frogspawn colony is growing from within.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    That is one huge mfn frogspawn. Holy crap...
    Here is the colony again from different angles

Top view of the tank (taken from the front of the tank)
    topfront.JPG

The frogspawn conceals this trumpet coral colony when viewing from the front, and this trumpet coral colony is very large in its own right.

This view is taken from the top facing the right-side of the tank
    sidetop.JPG

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

2 Not allowed!
    Do you supplement target/broadcast feedings for the corals?
    In March 2018 I wrote 'Up until very recently Corals are fed every 1-3 weeks a liquid soup comprised of a mixture of: reef roids, reef chili, vitamin c, amino acids, reef snow, multi-size zoo plankton; food applied manually to as many polyps as possible with an eye dropper.'

Since then, I just feed liquid soup comprised of a mixture of: reef roids, reef chili, brightwell's Restor (which I forgot to mention in the March entry), & vitamin c (once the vitamin c is finished it'll just be the reef roids and reef chili and restor (until the Restor is expended).

I normally feed every 1-3 weeks usually on late-mornings on the weekends and before the reef lights come on. I feed during this time of 'darkness' because the feeder tentacles natural extend in the hours of darkness. I then turn off my skimmer and circulation for 90min to maximize the amount of food is captured by the corals. Feeding when the tank is dark also prevents the fish from eating the coral food.

I mix 15ml of tank water with a quarter-tsp (1.2ml) of reef roids, same quantity of the liquid Restore, and two spoonfuls of reef chili (using the tiny 0.15ml spoon that came with it). I then squirt this liquid mix to as many polyps as I can with an eye dropper.

I used to feed larger meater stuff to my LPS such as mysis shrimp using tweezers years ago, but the above stuff works for me nowadays. The LPS corals have no problem with this particulate soupy mix as they react to it by capturing it with some sort of mucus web and then reel it in. My open brain coral loves this stuff as it gets super-inflated.

In addition to this stuff, there is also a natural food source (I suppose) in the tank: groups of tiny hitch hiker mysid shrimp about 2mm-3mm in length, they come out in large numbers at night and are actually attracted to the beam of my flash light. They get caught by any coral feeder tentacle they come in contact with which probably happens to some degree every night.
    Last edited by kaybee; 08-03-2018 at 12:01 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Welcome Back! - Boundava   Here is a coral to tide you over until you decide what to get for your 40 - bpete   Sorry for the ich, you'll defeat it. - mch1984   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    The trumpet coral colony is beautiful. I wouldn't mind having a tank full of those. Thank you for posting a breakdown of your feeding and everything else. I'm definitely going to be taking notes from your success!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Glad you tracked down the coral killer - mch1984   sorry to hear about your twin spot. - bpete   Let the gift giving begin, Merry X-mas ;-) - steeler58   Happy Holidays to you! - Boundava   
    Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - BluewaterBoof   Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - BluewaterBoof   

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kaybee View Post
    I had no idea at the time that a tiny frag could grow to this size.

Also, the growth pattern was interesting: in addition to creating new heads of frogspawn by one head slowly dividing into to two, the colony also sprouted new polyp heads from the skeletal structure itself, from the stony areas not covered by or in contact with the soft coral tissue.

Older pic from years ago, displaying this type of skeletal budding which still continues with this colony:

frogbuds.jpg

It can't be seen in the photos I've posted thus far, but now it's almost as if there's another frogspawn colony is growing from within.
    Both my frogspawn and my branching hammer have those little buds. When I first saw them I freaked out a little bit thinking they were something similar to vermetid snails haha

Thank you for all the info. I'll have to go back and read through your journal when I have some free time :)