· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

lets see if you cann see this - William another test - William hope this works - William hopefully this one shows up. - KingFisher It's the closest thing I could find to a snowflake. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday Girl. Wishing you many more. Ya thats why the Champagne is in play. hehehe - Strider199 For piping up - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - gadget228 
    Thank you and Happy Holidays! - KingFisher Merry x-mas and a Happy New Year Trillianne - Strider199 Happy New Year!!! - Rue Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 
    Thanks for the Rep! - steeler1 Thanks, and one for you too. - mommy1 lol - 5 steps to gift giving.  We should eat more bananas... potassium and all that. - KevinVA Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Absolutely beautiful! And that is the same size as our current freshwater tank. I was just saying to my bf that it would be a good size for us to try saltwater when we upgrade.... your picture is quite a wonderful inspiration in that direction.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kaybee
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate all the kind comments!

Good catch! I forgot to list the acans!

I've got three different types of acans in the tank but none are in the lower right hand side. What coral(s) is the coral you're inquiring about next to? At the bottom right (left of the green open brain and below the light colored toadstool) are some common red mushrooms.

By chance did you mean lower left hand side?
    Actually, the one I was looking at was next to the blue shroom & green candy cane. Your red mushroom is colored like some one my favorite acans. I did notice your other acans tho.

I was going to ask if you were doing any to help keep there red color. Mine is fadding a bit and I'm a little concerned. I'm going try a liitle lower light and feed him some more.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Kaybee, that is an incredible looking tank. Definitely something to be proud of. Goes to show just what you can do without a sump. :D
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks ILMGB. Yep, not all reef set ups require sumps, and I'm actually using a canister filter which is typically not advised for SW tanks (though I don't have it configured as I would if it were on a FW tank.

Trillianne, I find the 65gal tank to be a decent size tank for SW it's not too large and not too small, plus has adequate height and width.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    Actually, the one I was looking at was next to the blue shroom & green candy cane...
    Oh, ok. I think I know which one you're talking about. My blue mushrooms are on the far left. The blue corals you must be referring to which are near the green candy cane are actually blue snow flake polyps.

I believe the coral you're inquiring about is my 'super red' blastomussa, a fleshy polyp'd LPS. The camera is washing out its true color a bit in the photo, in person it's the color of tropical punch or cherry kool-aid:

I've got a larger blastomussa colony (the common red variety) in the tank as well (its obscured from view in the rear right corner of the tank).

Indirect lighting may help prevent the lightening of color with some acans.
    African cichlid and saltwater aquariums

http://www.rowelab.com/AquaControlle...9&scope=last24

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kaybee
    Yep, not all reef set ups require sumps,
    Nope, they sure don't. :) My new 75 doesn't have one either.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

0 Not allowed!
    Very nice set-up kaybee I hope ours looks half as nice in 5 years.

My main reason for a sump is I absolutely hate HOB equipment. If I had the cash I'd have a sump/wet/dry on all of our freshwater tanks, lol

29 gallon-planted community

20 long frag tank
    75 gal-planted goldfish

75 gallon mixed reef with 20 gallon sump

0 Not allowed!
    Size comparision:

Green elephant ear mushroom adjacent to small and normal-sized common red mushrooms

Sometimes the elephant ear will expand to the extent that it completely conceals the red mushrooms and even the nuke green paly's on the adjacent live rock.

0 Not allowed!
    I moved my green torch to a different area in the tank (to the upper far left) section of the tank. Under the larger frogspawn one of the heads was getting deprived of light and the torch was a little too close to my blastomussa.

There was a crevice that held the torch's skeleton base very nicely. It fit very well wedged in. But my darned damsels dislike changes and kept bumping it out from below, forcing me to epoxy it in place, but not in the position that I wanted.

I also relocated some excess candy cane, xenia, palys and anthelia to a different reef tank.

Here's a close up of my orange leptastrea frag (a small-polyped LPS coral, if that makes any sense). Green-centered leptastrea can be seen in the background:

My most recent addition, a small pink lobophyllia:

I'm observing something with my green-polyp toadstool leather coral that may be of concern:

It's been retracting its polyps for maybe 4 to 6 hours about every 2 or 3 days. It seems that the last one or two polyps don't completely retract, instead they're being ejected and detached into the water flow (the entire 'stem' and polyp head).

It seems to producing new polyps at a rate equal to or greater than the loss so it's not visibly missing any polyps. Is this normal? Is this a form of reproduction? I'm going to try to capture one of the detached polyps and place it in a different tank to see if they live.
    Last edited by kaybee; 03-13-2011 at 05:03 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    I love the pink lobo, I've actually been looking for one like that but havn't been able to find a pink one (wife's favorite color).

Wish I could help with the leather. Mine has only done that a few times
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]