· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas - steeler58   

Default Mac jumping to the dark side of reef.

1 Not allowed!
    Hey guys,

Since i am and will be doing a reef tank though I should post up on here.
    1. For me to keep a eye on my notes and thoughts.
    2. Also to share info together on what i need to get or think about.

So for starters I have seen a few things going around one line about filtration.
    Just so you guys know here is LFS that is near me, which is only reef supply. http://www.livingreef.co.nz
    From the small group that I am in whom keep marine in my local town say that they are very reliable LFS.

Now this shop has got a pre done kit which is set with tank stand lighting and sump. I know the lighting isn't the best. And also the tank is lid less which I do not like either.
    What is the best thing to do in regard to kit set ups? Or is it easier to do your own sump?? Or do I even need to go sump?

Reason I am asking in a fair few of the guys around me into marine tanks are not using sumps at all and only canister hob filtration.
    My understanding though is with a sump I am able to grow a lot more bacteria also some other required algae and food sources?
    Next side is they are less visual over the other style.

To start this whole journal off my plan is to try and do a tank around 30-50g. Some were around that size is pretty much the biggest I can go.
    My main stocking plan at this stage fish to centre around my all time favourite Nemateleotris magnifier.

So far all I have done is read keep reading and study. One of the things which I am gong to start doing in the next week, is bit by bit buy the test kits. Collect what ever I need so that I have got it all ready well and truely.
    Test kit wise I am getting the red sea master kit. Well try to I may need to get one shipped from over seas. NZ everyone want to sell them individual and they ant cheap at all that way.

Please comment ideas plans and thought.

mac

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Merry Christmas - steeler58   

1 Not allowed!
    Well guys my first up date.
    I have started ordering a API Master test kit for the reef set up as a spare back up just in case.
    The main test kit is going to be the red sea system. Actually everything will be red sea for the marine side of it.
    As for the tank kit I am going to go for it.

Looking forward to some banter in this thread??

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

You need a fish! Welcome to the site! - Plecos   Foe all of your effort on the SW tank - Silbar   thanks for sharing your amazing pics - Silbar   Merry Christmas & Happy New Year! - Plecos   For getting your tank featured in PFM! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    I've always found equipment in all in one systems often fall short of quality and function and most people end up swapping the equipment out.

You better of just buying a sumped tank system and stand and buying the equipment separate

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Thank you for the reply Marty,

I certainly know what you mean in that regard. It's always happened to me in that setting up any custom tank, is way better in the long run.

But this issue I guess is more location. Nz is a country were they are so monopolized on what they sell that finding a sump set up and tank isn't very easy. Let alone the the weir set up.

My main concern would be if I built a sump and it failed and flooded. That's my issue. Are there many decent plans that are ac approved?
    Cause I am totally up for a build. But only if it is worth it

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys,
    Gotten back from the LFS and have had a interesting find. After much talking and discussion one of the young staff members at the LFS let slip there is a guy in the region who dose private jobs to suit what ever tank size i want and matches sumps to it. He also dose all the drilling and pre purchase of all the plumbing. Plus compahasive instructions for pump sizes and flow rates for the size tank. All made by him. So I am going to flick him a email get quote and save up and go ahead. At this stage the biggest tank I can afford in space wise is 30in long max. With the width I want it quite wide so 20in wide. High around 15-20in.

What do you guys think of this?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a Merry Christmas - Silbar   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

1 Not allowed!
    I was planning a setup where I was going to use this over flow box instead of drilling my tank but if you can drill a hole for the sump or buy a pre drilled reef ready tank you will not have to worry about flooding if the stand pipe is at a certain level and your sump can handle that volume. These are all things you can add in the design.

I'm not sure if you Marty have seen these over flow boxes and know how reliable there antisiphon capabilities are?

A sump is worth it for sure with saltwater since you can have your live rock/bio media and refugium keeping maintenance easier and adding nutrients in the sump rather the tank.

I think it will be a lot cheaper to do it your self :)
    Last edited by AmazonJoe; 12-29-2016 at 12:37 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    Yeah I can do a lot my self. But some times its nicer to blame others of it goes wrong. As for a drilled tank I could do that quite easily. Sump plan I can as well.

But it's more the filter sock system I am unsure about.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a Merry Christmas - Silbar   Merry Christmas - steeler58   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   
    Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Slaphppy7   Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - AmazonJoe   World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - AmazonJoe   

0 Not allowed!
    What's the issue your having with the sock? Its optional really.

Just need to place it on the inflow of the sump to catch detritus and debris. You can keep it on the whole time however it needs to be rinsed often then. Otherwise you can stick it on before cleaning and what not to catch everything that gets kicked up.
    Last edited by AmazonJoe; 12-29-2016 at 11:04 AM.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

1 Not allowed!
    The issue is more the placement. From a lot of the videos I have seen quite a few set ups with perfect flow rates through them all. More I should say even distribution of water.
    my wife was saying to me last night that why dnt I make the tank my self. We have a Glazier near us who dose and will cut the glass required. As for the sump I am sure after some talking with you guys it would come out quite well.

Guess if I can get the tank built and made up for less than $500.00 including the sump then that is about $500-800.00 towards pumps skimmers ect.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    The issue is more the placement. From a lot of the videos I have seen quite a few set ups with perfect flow rates through them all. More I should say even distribution of water.
    So the setups your referring to had multiple sock filters?

If it was me I would just had a slot for a sock filter above the first baffle. All the sock filter is for is fine particle mechanical filtration so flow rate is not a issue there.

I highly agree that by doing it yourself is the way to go so you can have the $$$ for equipment because there is a lot for saltwater lol
    Last edited by AmazonJoe; 12-29-2016 at 08:46 PM.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast