· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Smile Plants, new tank, piranha

0 Not allowed!
    So I have a single red bellied piranha. He's about 2.5 yrs old, 4-5 inches long and currently in a 30g tank. He's a very aggressive fish, one of the most aggressive and picky ones i've heard of. Nothing but live food will even be considered (by him) for consumption and nothing coexists with him very long (i.e., snails, Crayfish, shrimp) and obviously feeders and worms.

SO I recently (yesterday) acquired a 55g (long) tank, have water running through it as of today and am going through my options. I think I would like to put my piranha in there and see if more hiding places and plant life would allow more species to coexist with him in the tank.

If i do that, I think lilies would be good to provide more shade for the large-pupiled fishy. Yeah? and some slate rocks for crays, and some thick plants for little fish, and some wood for the pH levels/more hiding. Sound good? I'm open for input.

THEN in my thirty how about a community breeding place for some guppies (as feeders/cool fish to learn breeding)??? Or for crays... IS it possible to do both? Let me know!
    Like I said, I love my piranha and am very open to options!
    OR if you think of something way cooler for the 55g and think the piranha should remane in the 30g... Whatever! Thanks!

PS suggestions to get him to try his veggies?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1   and gift - mommy1   Thanks for the rep - Cliff   Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff   Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior   
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199   

0 Not allowed!
    I was never able to keep live plants in with my school of Red bellied piranha's.
    They whip into gear and everything but the rocks is washed up.
    It sounds like a neat project you have planned there. Good luck.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

couldn't find snow and ice gifts - Lady Hobbs   burrrrrrr - Lady Hobbs   please post pics of your 10 hejuta. not many people on the forum are keeping nice predators like those. - Crispy   So sorry about your critters! :( - Rue   you are severely low on penguins :P - genocidex   

0 Not allowed!
    put a divider in the tank,if you are worried about the fish killing tankmates.My noob sister about 5 years back had a gold pirahna and asked the same question,what can I try to put with it?Reply,"take this convict male." The fish lived together dancing in circles trying to play, and I use the term loosely.Try to get some marble crayfish,they are a project that colleges, life sciences departments have been breeding for some time now.The crayfish are all female and give birth without males.University of MIchigan was doing this project and you can find these crawdads on craigslist ,once and a while.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Have a fish! - Northernguy   For being understanding - William   Here's a nice frontosa for you! Thanks! - Crispy   Thank you! - Alfcea   congrats on baby 1st 6wks is hard, also sorry about fri 13th hope this cheers you up - bluebluecow   

0 Not allowed!
    Your tank is too small and the piranha will eat the little fish and your crayfish.. slate or not.
    100g Reef

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Here's to the holidays! - Slaphppy7   Happy holidays! - rebecca_finny   Merry Christmas (Santa Loves Pie) ;-) - Taurus   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Good to see you here again... - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    RBP's are schooling fish as well. If you have a single you may look into 2-4 more tank mates. What kind of filtration do you have available and also the 55 is a bit small to up the #s.