Pleco Problem - Please Help Identify
I have been trying for months to identify the growth on the side of my pleco's mouth.
It started off several months ago (i've had him a yr) & i thought he had just snagged his mouth on a rock or something, however the growth has grown with him...but it has almost doubled in size since late Oct!
I'll add a pic that I took today, i hope it shows up big enough.
My worry now is that even though he is still eating, the growth is big enough to fit into his mouth & a little down his throat.
I'm debating cutting a small piece off to see what happens...but obviously i'm really worried that would cause an infection & possible my awesome pleco's death & i really really don't want that!
so im stuck!
any help is appreciated!!!!
btw the growth is soft & only attached by a small piece of skin to the side of his mouth
this one is bigger!!!
this is the pic from today
Here is the pic taken at the end of Oct
At first I thought it could be Lymphocystis but I dont think that it is. Here is an article on it if you want to read bout it. http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/...phocystis.html
Sorry I couldnt be of more help.
20g figure 8 puffer
65g FW Community
125g African Cichlid community
[QUOTE=flydustydawg]At first I thought it could be Lymphocystis but I dont think that it is.
Thats what I thought at first to, but after reading up on it I don't think so either...
i'll check out the article
here's another pic I just got
Has anyone cut any growth off a fish? Does anyone have any experience with that? I DO NOT plan on just cutting it off...but I am leaning towards cutting a small piece to see what happens & if all went well than i might consider removing more
wow i'm kind of surprised how hard it is to find info on pleco problems...i guess this kind of mouth thing isn't very popular??
anyone have ideas of what the problem could be & if i should try to cut a small bit off?
anybody have any ideas before i get too serious with the cutters
Until someone can tell you what is wrong and what can be done with it, I wouldnt dare try and perform surgery yourself. Is he eating ok? Is he at good weight? You can cause him a infection and it could spread. If I were you, and he is fine, I would wait. You can cause mroe problems by cutting stuff off of him than waiting and seeing. Until you definately know what it is, just let it be. Please...
Google is your friend. Use it!!!
Originally Posted by CassieLEO
Thats my worry too, I would feel so bad if I made things worse by doing any cutting...he is eating well - but the growth is starting to get in the way, it flops around and ends up in his mouth, his weight & growth is still excellent, his behaviour has changed in the last couple months - but i don't think in a bad way -he is very social & active doesn't spend much time in his cave.
Its so hard with not much information about what it could be, I keep thinking its going to fall off but its been so many months!! (I think it started in March)
Is there a zoo, aquarium or Vet school close to you? If so, check and see if they have someone on staff that has experience doing surgery on fish.
I think this growth needs to be removed, but that's probably going to require anesthesia and perhaps an injection of antibiotics afterwards.
You might find someone willing to donate their time in exchange for the opportunity to use this case as a learning experience.