· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!

The female wouldn't let me take any close ups

2. Default

0 Not allowed!

My new albino LFBN

Default I didn't want to be the one to bring this up - But thanks :-)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KatzeSlaugen
    WPG is a good rule to approximate the lighting you may need rather than trial and error
    Sorry, it isn't.

Wattage only refers to the energy the bulb uses.

It has nothing to do with the efficiency of the bulb IE: The amount of visible light energy [lumens] put out or the amount of useful light energy for aquatic plants available [PAR = Photosynthetically Active Radiation]

IE; Your familiar with those 27w spiral fluorescent bulbs that most of us have replaced those old 100w bulbs with around the house

They're not 1/4 as bright - they are 73% more energy efficient.

The same amount of lumens [visible light energy] produced using 27w of energy instead of 100w

Quote Originally Posted by KatzeSlaugen
    LPG would be ever more useless than WPG maybe you mean PPG (which is par per gallon but even then par depends on depth so it doesnt work, plants use par not lumens.)
    ... No.

Again; Wattage only corresponds to the power it takes to run the bulb - It is most emphatically not a measurement of the output of usable light either on land or underwater.

Read this for more insight: http://www.americanaquariumproducts....ng.html#lumens
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That mix of fish seems disastrous to me. Guess I'm more of a peaceful community aquarium guy...

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That Betta looks in bad shape.

Sorry, strange request, but can you post a pic of the stand? for peace of mind?
    Fiiiiiiiiiiissssshhhhhh!

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazedMichael
    That Betta looks in bad shape.

Sorry, strange request, but can you post a pic of the stand? for peace of mind?
    Do you mean his tail? because if thats what your worried hes a crown tail so his tail is supposed to look like that. But if it's something ellse do tell so i can try and fix it.

Yhea ill get a pic up asap.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 850R
    Sorry, it isn't.

Wattage only refers to the energy the bulb uses.

It has nothing to do with the efficiency of the bulb IE: The amount of visible light energy [lumens] put out or the amount of useful light energy for aquatic plants available [PAR = Photosynthetically Active Radiation]

IE; Your familiar with those 27w spiral fluorescent bulbs that most of us have replaced those old 100w bulbs with around the house

They're not 1/4 as bright - they are 73% more energy efficient.

The same amount of lumens [visible light energy] produced using 27w of energy instead of 100w

... No.

Again; Wattage only corresponds to the power it takes to run the bulb - It is most emphatically not a measurement of the output of usable light either on land or underwater.

Read this for more insight: http://www.americanaquariumproducts....ng.html#lumens
    im not trying to start a war here, and your taking the understanding out of context. if i have a bulb the length of a tank WPG is feasable. if i have a spiral bulb WPG is taken out of centext and doesnt apply. WPG DOES work for giving you an idea of what plants you can grow with what fictures. if your looking so deeply into it there are so many more variables not listed on your website that need to be taken into account.

we are not running science labs with exact units of measurements and tools to measure all the nessicary factors like if you have a 55g tank and are running the same fixture on both tanks you dont nessicarily have the same lighting in each tank. one tank may have a 20% concentration of tannins, and greater surface disruption than the other tank but be identical in every other way, does this mean all the info on your website is wrong? no, because its info is not all inclusive

i have read that website before briefly and it is a lot of good info, but for the majority of people its scientific jargon that they dont want to bother with. WPG is easy to understand and is an easy guideline to use (when used properly). all my tanks lightings are by WPG (how many depends on if im using t5 or t8 bulbs btw) and my plants are all flourishing without dosing co2.

if plants use par, we see lumens, and the two dont correlate how is it wrong of me to say that how many watts your pushing (more watts usually means youll have more par in a t5/t8 system) is more important than how many lumens your throwing out (as stated more/less watts doesnt always make a change in lumens)
    i dont remember if it was this thread or a different thread with this discussion but either way i would prefer not to argue about something as unimportant as you not agreeing with wpg

edit: also i am well aware of what wattage actually is, no need to hit the wrong nail on the head
    Last edited by KatzeSlaugen; 01-24-2011 at 05:22 AM.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Why aquarium lighting so confuseing lol

Talking Not a war, Simply point-counterpoint :-)

0 Not allowed!
    I am not interested in [nor am I] fighting a war either lol.

Having said that, WPG being 'easy to understand' doesn't change the fact that wattage measures the energy used by the bulb not the energy output of the bulb [the ultra low wattage/super brightness of LEDs is another easy to grasp example.]
    ... but for the majority of people its scientific jargon that they dont want to bother with ...
    Please don't presume to speak for the majority of people, It's assumptive at best and could be unintentionally perceived as arrogance.

Martin H. Fischer answered this way better than I ever could:
    "It is not hard to learn more. What is hard is to unlearn when you discover yourself wrong."
    also i am well aware of what wattage actually is
    Lol, Then why do you continue to insist it's an appropriate measurement of usable light?

Lets make that a rhetorical question so we don't derail kingkarters thread any more, and have a nice day.
    Gas mileage isn't everything OIIIIIIIO
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
    Why pretend there are no stupid questions? Actually, There are many stupid questions: "Should I drink this bleach?" Is just one example.
    Having said that, Just because it's a stupid question doesn't mean that it shouldn't be asked. It's better to know.

A warm beer is better than a cold beer. Because nothing is better than a cold beer, and a warm beer is better than nothing.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    This whole LPG WPG is a topic. I have learned a lot about it just through this thread, even though it is a little derailed lol. One of u should start a thread purely for lighting discussion.
    Empty 10g
    20g figure 8 puffer
    65g FW Community
    125g African Cichlid community