· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default A Second Shot; My 10g Reef

0 Not allowed!
    Decided to set up another marine tank. My 20g I tore down about a year ago was a disaster. I diving back to the salty side.

Currently what I've got:
    10g tank
    hood w/2x10w CF 6500K bulbs
    CPR BakPak (MJ1200)
    6lbs LR
    3lbs dry rock
    Koralia 1
    Heater(won't need it for a few weeks, if ever)

I went to the LFS today, just to look(which we all know never happens). I just had to buy myself the LR and dry rock. Nothing was ready at home. I had $76 in gift certificates, and I still have $20 left. I

get home, crank up the RO/DI unit. I grab some 5g buckets. I fill one with tap water, the other with RO/DI. I go rummage through the basement to find all the stuff from the 20g. I come up with the CPR and Koralia 1 and a wee bit of salt.

All the way up two flights of stairs, back in my room. I realize how little salt I actually have. Barely enough to get 4g of water to a SG of 1.023. I got my 5g bucket with a pump and mixed up the SW, then threw in the LR and called it a day.

Plans for Day 2:

Go back to the LFS and get salt
    Fill up the tank and mix the salt
    Get everything working
    Put in my LR
    Put in some sand.
    Start letting my dry rock leech out in a bucket of FW

Looking forward to seeing what little hitchhikers I got with my LR. FTS will be up tomorrow. Yes it will be boring, but it's a nice reference to look back at some day.

0 Not allowed!
    Glad to hear you're going to give it another shot, but just fyi if you struggled with a 20 gallon I can imagine a 10 gallon being a nightmare. I don't know your SW experience so please don't be insulted but that's awful small to jump back in with
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome back, to the salty side.

I would suggest keeping it an invert tank, or perhaps one goby. It will make your chances a LOT better.

My first tank was a 20gal disaster too. I bet you learned a lot from it like I did! lol.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    80 Gallon: Native Temperate Reef

5 Gallon Native Temperate Invert tank

20 Gallon Planted: Cherry Barbs, Common Pleco, Floating frog, Fire Bellied Newt

10 Gallon Planted: Apple Snails/Cherry Barb Breeder.... fingers crossed

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I know going smaller after having trouble the first time doesn't seem logical. But, I looked back on what I did wrong and I'm being sure not to do those things this time.

Inverts and a goby was my exact plan. I don't know what kind of goby yet, the LFS has a 4 or 5 different kinds. I'll just have to see what they have in a month or so, when I'm ready for the fish.

The tank will be ready in about half an hour. Can't wait to get what I have right now together.

0 Not allowed!
    Nice nice well I'm interested to see how it turns out... I'm a big fan of these micro tanks haha post some pics when you start getting stuff together
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Tanks been up and running for a day now. Waiting for some water to evaporate so I can put the hood on. Picture(s) will be coming tomorrow.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    First, I apologize for my lack of activity in this thread.

Since my last post, there's been a decent amount of progress. All the rock work is done and the sand has been put in. My cycle is almost over. The ammonia(read my thread in the chatterbox for some lols on me testing this) is gone and nitrites are starting to rise. Tonight, I didn't even bother to test for nitrates.

So far the only life I've seen in my tank is some pods crawling on the LR and one of those things that looks like a flat slug crawling on the glass.

By next weekend the cycle should be done. If I'm not too busy, I'll be getting the CUC. And then two weeks after that I'm shooting for the fish, not sure what I'm gonna get yet. It'll come down to what the LFS has that day.

And now, the most important part of this thread. The FTS:

Last edited by Artificial; 02-06-2011 at 04:39 AM.

Awards Showcase

for posting that article, I laughed so much!!!!!!!! - ScottishFish Kick back and enjoy the day when your done your painting - Cliff thanks for the rep! - EowynShieldmaiden Otis thanks you for the rep - Cliff This one will have a longer life span, sorry to hear about your fish - Cliff 
    For being a smarty pants and figuring out my riddle so fast! :) - escamosa The last one of these Ill ever give! Enjoy the AC bucks Rue! - smaug Yes, there is still a place in today's world for the  Darwin Awarads - Cliff Thanks for the Rep!!! :) - C-Dub Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas Rue - jeffs99dime Holiday Ham has come today from the eve until Boxing Day! - Trillianne Merry Cristmas and Happy Holidays Rue. - Strider199 It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 lol, thanks for the rep.  Have one on me! =] - KevinVA 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks!  You have a great holiday season as well! - sheamurai Merry Christmas - gadget228 What is a good Holiday Ham to do, but bring some cheer to my good friend Rue! - Trillianne Just Because - Surfdog 
    Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - Rue Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    Looks good so far!
    55 g Goldfish Tank - 5 Fancies, 2 Dojos
    25 g Tropical Tank - Celestial Pearl Danio/Mixed

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I love these Nano Reefs! Yours looks like its off to a good start!!! I cant wait to venture into SW tanks!!!!

Google is your friend. Use it!!!